My Way Crew Confirmed to be OK After Crash >

My Way Crew Confirmed to be OK After Crash

Notices

My Way Crew Confirmed to be OK After Crash

Old 08-17-2012, 12:13 PM
Registered

Received 21 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Rippem

Just think, you and Peter can piss for the remaining years over who's 'toon does 28 and who's runs 29 LOL

OMG !!! Always figured it would be a cruiser battle, pontoons would be priceless.
Old 08-17-2012, 03:52 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 814 Likes on 373 Posts

Originally Posted by Marginmn
Correction. Not even Mr. Tomlinson can control his boat when he turns it at 160+ mph in order to avoid obliterating a pleasure boat - as the video below clearly proves.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OQVBp2MBzcI

I don't doubt Mr. Tomlinson's driving ability for a second. However, just because Mr. Tomlinson has the resources to run faster than 99.99% of the Offshore race boats on the planet all the money in the world doesn't insulate him from the inherent risks of running such high speeds on inland bodies of water in the midst of pleasure boaters who might turn in front of him or create a large wake at any moment. At 160 mph the slightest screw up on My Way's part (or mechanical failure) might well lead to the death of unsuspecting pleasure boaters unfortunate enough to cross his path. The pleasure boaters sharing these inland waters with Mr. Tomlinson didn't sign a waiver the morning of his poker run acknowledging the risks of boats running 160+ mph.

Again, I do not doubt Mr. Tomlinson's driving ability but I totally doubt his judgment, and for that matter the judgement of any offshore performance enthusiast who thinks that it is acceptable to have the fastest offshore boats on the planet racing to card stops at 160+ mph on small unsecured bodies of water where someone's 15 year old niece might dart in front of them at any moment.

Poker Run organizers need to correct this situation before the politicians correct it for us. As others have correctly stated, it's just common sense. If you want to run 160+ do it alone on a big body of water or in sanctioned races on closed courses.
You said everything I would say, Smitty
Old 08-18-2012, 05:56 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by axapowell
So why go over 30? Cause you can? What is the correct speed? What about 140? Is that ok? Bunch of guys running over 120 with smaller boats...is that ok?

BTW I'm sure it's wider then 30 yards where he was running. I can check it out this weekend, but I'm sure you guys who live right by there can verify that.

Lay off of the money and speed thing, just because he can doesn't mean you have to bash him for it.

Dave
The river is very wide where the incident happened and there was definitely way more than 30 yds of space between the poker run boats and those who were drifting on the edge of the channel. There was probably half a kilometer between the boats drifting on the American side and Canadian side.

Last edited by Bigdaddyracing; 08-18-2012 at 06:00 AM.
Old 08-18-2012, 08:17 AM
Where To
VIP Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Bigdaddyracing
The river is very wide where the incident happened and there was definitely way more than 30 yds of space between the poker run boats and those who were drifting on the edge of the channel. There was probably half a kilometer between the boats drifting on the American side and Canadian side.

Thanks, I figured. Once again, the speculation of who, what, and where....

Dave
Old 08-18-2012, 08:48 AM
Registered

Since I used the words 30 yards will one of you show me in my post where I said the MY WAY boat was in a 30 yard wide or where I said MY WAY and 30 anywhere, please read and understand what I wrote and not try to read into it or add something for me. Thank You.
Old 08-18-2012, 09:14 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by LapseofReason
Thats where the common sense part comes in, if your doing the Bahamas poker run and its open ocean and you cant see any boats as far as you can see or better yet have a chopper telling you its wide open get on it. But if you see boats lined up 30 yards to your right and left in a small lane where they might cross in front of you, you might wanna slow down to a speed that you know that you can avoid danger. You cant put any one speed on it, every boat is different we know that but the law makers wont care.

But tell me this why go 160 or more at a poker run? Just cuz you can ? It's the only way to have fun ? Or it's not against the law yet ? There is no real good reason other than just showing off and showing bad judgement. Take the race boats to the race unless your scared to loose and bruise the ego.

I do see what your saying thats why its a boat to boat thing just dont go out and be dumb and hurt or kill yourself or somebody else just because you have the money or lack of judgement to do so.
I think there talking about this.
Old 08-18-2012, 09:23 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by akaboatman
I think there talking about this.
Yea I know but all I was doing was answering axapowell about how fas should we go ? I never said a thing about MY WAY they just put it in for me.
Old 08-18-2012, 09:25 AM
Registered

So for all who have said that 160 mph is too fast, where are you drawing the line?

What is the correct speed? If you say 100, then the joker who put together a 21' 1500hp that "can" run 100 goes out and looses it and DOES do damage to others including injury. Who's to blame? The driver, right? Probablly.

I'll ask again, how many boats were running over 100 in the run? 110? 120? 130? 140? 168?

Somebody tell me what the impact of any boat hitting a cruiser wake too fast and loosing it "could have been"?

Total speculation, and I'm sure we ALL would do our best to to avoid injury to anyone in the event that we were involved in a situation. No one would intentionally wreck into a crowd, hence the word accident.

My point here is this could have happened to ANYONE at any speed, anywhere, whether in a Poker run or not. An awful lot of finger pointing.

Dave
This post, he didnt say MY WAY either.
Old 08-18-2012, 11:58 PM
Registered

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

So for all who have said that 160 mph is too fast, where are you drawing the line?

What is the correct speed? If you say 100, then the joker who put together a 21' 1500hp that "can" run 100 goes out and looses it and DOES do damage to others including injury. Who's to blame? The driver, right? Probablly.

I'll ask again, how many boats were running over 100 in the run? 110? 120? 130? 140? 168?

Somebody tell me what the impact of any boat hitting a cruiser wake too fast and loosing it "could have been"?

Total speculation, and I'm sure we ALL would do our best to to avoid injury to anyone in the event that we were involved in a situation. No one would intentionally wreck into a crowd, hence the word accident.

My point here is this could have happened to ANYONE at any speed, anywhere, whether in a Poker run or not. An awful lot of finger pointing.

Dave

I agree with you 100%

I am not contradicting anyones statement and i am not looking to argue with anyone. There are a lot of valid points stated. This is my opinion from what i have personally experienced.

I have been in well over 100 poker runs. I have participated in them in boats in several catagories. From my 35' motion at 100 MPH and in the Mercedes boat running much faster.

I'd rather be way out front of the pack, as Bill was, rather then back in the pack with the 200 other 100 MPH guys pushing their boats to their limits while being up each others butt.

Every Poker run there are always those guys you make it a point to stay away from because they are an accident waiting to happen.

I assure you it's not the Bill Tomilsons. It's the guys that are over trimming their 90 MPH boats to get them to reach 93 MPH or it's the guy that just bought his powerboat from the boat show, with no experience, that doesn't know which side of the marker to be on.

There are a lot of incidents on poker runs and on every day powerboating. It's unfortunate but you usually only hear of the tragedies or the incidents with the high profile boats.

If it was a 24 Baja, instead of My Way, that hit the same wake at 90, trimmed out, had the same close close call and had the same amount of damage to the boat, no one would be talking about it.

160 MPH in Bills boat is a lot safer then 110 MPH is in a good portion of the boats out there!

I'm glad Bill and his crew are ok. I just watched the video, GREAT RECOVERY!!
Old 08-19-2012, 01:38 AM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

its funny to me that we all thrive on going fast and pushing the limits, yet when someone who does what we all love to do, has an accident we make 320 pages worth of hating..... we are our own worst enemies.....

god forbid a guy wants to work hard, set up a fast boat, push it to the limits..... limits that we all love to hear and read about..... if he hit 200 mph on that run there would be threads about how awesome he is... instead, on his quest to push the limits he has an accident we all speculate and hate.........

and on that note, we have another guy like Stu Jones, who sets up great runs, has a TV show to display what we all love, created a magazine to dispay what we all love.......... yet people want to say bad things about him...... will we ever be happy as power boaters? will we ever appreciate what we have with the people who are doing things we typically ***** about not having????

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.