Poker Runs – Are we going too fast? >

Poker Runs – Are we going too fast?

Notices

Poker Runs – Are we going too fast?

Old 08-13-2012, 07:31 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Jeff Murray just PMed in from prison. He says he will steal the next powerboat caught speeding at a Poker Run. So slow down!

Last edited by Comanche3Six; 08-13-2012 at 07:43 PM.
Old 08-13-2012, 08:19 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Comanche3Six
Jeff Murray just PMed in from prison. He says he will steal the next powerboat caught speeding at a Poker Run. So slow down!
LMAO!!!
Watch out for him next year!!!

See ya,
Kelly
Old 08-13-2012, 08:19 PM
Registered

Well I made it through the 25 pages of the My Way crash thread.
Some of the comments blew me away. The speeds at today’s poker runs are definitely Too Fast for conditions! It should be a fun event that everyone leaves safely, as others said it should be about hanging out and meeting new people who have the same interests.

Last week there was a post of a video from the Lake Lanier poker run, it was shot by a guy who was complaining about the noise. In the video was a close encounter with a cat running at speed and a pontoon. What would you think about our sport if someone in your family or best friend is minding their own business and a boat gets out of control and kills them. As other said, it is only an amount of time before these runs will be a thing of the past if people don’t show better judgment.
Old 08-13-2012, 08:31 PM
Fast Singles Club
Gold Member

Received 387 Likes on 156 Posts

It is nice that we can all agree to disagree here on OSO and do so respectfully for the most part . ( I do believe someone i call friend called me an IDIOT and i do think you should go back and reread my posts ) The one thing i was sure of and the reason i continue to draw attention to the cruiser is because this is OSO . Are we not supposed to be a band of brothers , lovers of speed on the water ? I intentionally targeted Mr. leadbottom boat to try and draw the bashing from Mr. Tomlinson , is that not what brothers do , stick together , have each others back ? I do think lessons were learned and the stains from shat in his pants will remain as a reminder of what almost happened . I also hope that all of you that ran to the defense of someone who was totally oblivious to what he was about to contribute to use better judgement than he did . Hopefully MR. T will read these threads and realize the concern we all have for him and the innocent . Hopefully all involved do the same . Police ourselves , yes . Have each others backs , i sincerely hope so ........
Old 08-13-2012, 09:02 PM
Gold Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by VetteLT193
There is something about Poker Runs that brings out the retard in certain people.
That right there sums up many things, not just poker runs.

And is funny as he!!
Old 08-13-2012, 09:24 PM
Registered
VIP Member

I have been to numerous poker runs and seen a bunch of fast boats and have a boat that by any standard other than here on OSO is pretty darn fast. Now if you think that the My Way incident is any indication of the norm around poker runs you don't know what you are talking about. I just got back from the Emerald Coast run and yes sadly there was an accident by a boat not in the run but out there near Crab Island. I was also told that the owner let someone else drive and the boat began to chine walk and hooked ejecting the occupants. As sad as it is he was just a boater that happened to be on the bay the same weekend as the run. Now let's talk about the "participants" in the Emerald Coast Run. I ran on Saturday most of the day with the "fast cats" and since the wind was up and the water a little rough we ran 75-100 all day which is not very fast in the world of a big cat. I had times during the day when it was a little congested I ran about 2200-2500 rpm's which is about 55-60 mph. I took a couple hard runs as did most but it's done when there is safe conditions and nobody around for the most part. Now there are some guys that do like to run it hard and there have been some close calls I'm sure but grouping either the My Way incident of a race boat capable of 200 mph plus speeds and some guy out boating with his girlfriend driving to a normal Poker Run and especially a FPC event where safety is actually a priority and not just a speech at the drivers meeting is just not fair and an apples to oranges comparison. It's all about taking responsiblity for your own actions and your own boat and not grouping everyone into a single grouping with the idiots out there who are seriously in the minority at any event.
Old 08-14-2012, 12:36 AM
Charter Member # 55
Charter Member

Received 1,821 Likes on 907 Posts

Originally Posted by gofastlvr
I have been to numerous poker runs and seen a bunch of fast boats and have a boat that by any standard other than here on OSO is pretty darn fast. Now if you think that the My Way incident is any indication of the norm around poker runs you don't know what you are talking about. I just got back from the Emerald Coast run and yes sadly there was an accident by a boat not in the run but out there near Crab Island. I was also told that the owner let someone else drive and the boat began to chine walk and hooked ejecting the occupants. As sad as it is he was just a boater that happened to be on the bay the same weekend as the run. Now let's talk about the "participants" in the Emerald Coast Run. I ran on Saturday most of the day with the "fast cats" and since the wind was up and the water a little rough we ran 75-100 all day which is not very fast in the world of a big cat. I had times during the day when it was a little congested I ran about 2200-2500 rpm's which is about 55-60 mph. I took a couple hard runs as did most but it's done when there is safe conditions and nobody around for the most part. Now there are some guys that do like to run it hard and there have been some close calls I'm sure but grouping either the My Way incident of a race boat capable of 200 mph plus speeds and some guy out boating with his girlfriend driving to a normal Poker Run and especially a FPC event where safety is actually a priority and not just a speech at the drivers meeting is just not fair and an apples to oranges comparison. It's all about taking responsiblity for your own actions and your own boat and not grouping everyone into a single grouping with the idiots out there who are seriously in the minority at any event.
Very well said!!!!!!!!
Old 08-14-2012, 01:24 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Well Said. However, everytime a high profile incident like the two recent "my way" incidents happen it reflects poorly on the sport. Your right, there are poker runs that have a serious focus on safety, but the insurance companies don't necessarly look at it that way....... I am getting tired and my thoughts aren't necessarly coming out through the keyboard like I would like them too...

Not every sportbike rider rides like he wants to die and take eveyone with him. Unfortunately, every sportbike rider pays for it in overall public opinion and in insurance rates. While certainly not fair, it happens. The same thing has been happening for years with the sportboat segment. There is a right time and place for a "Big Cat" to flex it's muscles. A crouded water way lined with spectator boats and general traffic is not one of thoses places........
Old 08-14-2012, 04:26 AM
Registered

Received 1,827 Likes on 716 Posts
Default Bingo!

Originally Posted by low_psi
There is a right time and place for a "Big Cat" to flex it's muscles. A crouded water way lined with spectator boats and general traffic is not one of thoses places........
I used the word idiot in an earlier post in regards to the ones blaming the cruiser for the My Way accident. I misspoke and should have used the word "wrong". The cruiser had more rights out there than any of the poker run guys being that it apparently was not a controlled event.
The point was also made about lack of patrol/rescue boats along the course. Lets remember the Key West accident.
We lost someone in a capsule boat (they aren't safe if you don't have someone to pull you out!) due to (appears so) being knocked out and stuck in his boat for THREE MINUTES before rescue got to him. If My Way went over how long do you think they would have been waiting and how about the effects of that??? I know a drag racer that no longer races due to that exact thing happening while out playing. He was dead but his friends brought him back.
As also said, their actions effects us all same as the squid in traffic on the crotch rocket although he will likely take out only one person where a large/fast boat in public waters.........
Or, how about your 4 or more passengers? Think they really know/accept the risk?? Serious doubts.

Last edited by Twin O/B Sonic; 08-14-2012 at 05:24 AM.
Old 08-14-2012, 05:36 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 179 Likes on 66 Posts

It's all about taking responsiblity for your own actions and your own boat and not grouping everyone into a single grouping with the idiots out there who are seriously in the minority at any event.
I agree with your whole post, but wanted to take just the last line and mention something. Those of us that are responsible high performance boaters truly take your last statement seriously. Society (and the lawyers) on the other hand do not always agree on this one. For whatever reason, our society believes "It's always somebody elses fault." Said another way, there's always somebody else to blame for one's own stupidity.

So here's my big point. Either we address this issue ourselves, or somebody will address it for us. We won't like the latter.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.