Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Anyone from/near Madison Wisconsin? (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/28280-anyone-near-madison-wisconsin.html)

Consintracy 07-08-2002 10:11 PM

Anyone from/near Madison Wisconsin?

We went to see Rythym & Booms and realized, there weren't any swimmers at the beach's. When we anchored, Todd jumped in the water for a couple minutes and got bit 3 times on his leg. Then, we heard that there wasn't anyone in the water, due to something in the water. Does anyone know the details? He still has the bites on his leg and that was how long ago???? (9days)

Dave1972 07-08-2002 10:42 PM

Consintracy,
I work in Madison and frequent the lakes during the boating season. I know there was a tri-athalon scheduled last weekend and they cancelled the swimming portion because of the algae. I was boating on Madison lakes on Thursday the fourth and got bit a few times myself. I've seen the bugs before and they are fairly large and ugly actually (is that scientific?). Anyway...I'm not real sure what they are but I have seen them many times in the water in this area. I don't think it's anything to be alarmed about as I stood in the lake at a sandbar and only got bit a couple times. I'm not much help but at least you know there's more out here!!!

Consintracy 07-08-2002 10:47 PM

Dave~ Hmmmmm...I can't find anything w/ the DNR on the net about anything regarding this, either.
On another note...I think I read a post of yours a while back...you had some boat problems (or actually, I think you had problems with some mechanic or something). Did you say you were from Monroe? If so, I'm from Monroe, too.
Tracy

Cord 07-08-2002 10:51 PM

Yea, this year has been really, really bad for algea. If anybody visits up here, please come back again, because this is not typical. It's also been very dry which has lowered the water levels and only made things worse. My guess is that with the algea sucking up all the oxygen in the water, that Todd was getting "tasted" by a fish. Most of the time, they just lick you ( :D ) but some of the bigger fellows can take a chunk out.

Consintracy 07-08-2002 11:00 PM

Dave~ Got your PM...but, your mailbox is full....Aaaarghh....this is the second PM today with a full mailbox...LOL!!!

Cord~ He better not die on me!!!!

Cord 07-08-2002 11:07 PM

Na....would have killed him already if it was going to. :D Next time push him back in with some crawfish tails! :D

In all honest, because of all the goop in the water, the wound will be slow to heal.

Dave1972 07-09-2002 08:47 AM

Consintracy,
I deleted a few messages...only had 6 I thinik in my inbox...anyway...send away!!!

joe900sc 07-09-2002 09:03 AM

I'm from Madison and have been swimming in the lakes here all my life. I'm aware of the alge thing but have not heard of anyone getting bit by bugs on a beach other than some horse flys or mosquitoes.

The reason there wasn't anyone on the beach is because they had restricted access to it from the park because of the firework lauch area.

Phknlwyr 07-09-2002 09:41 AM

I did my four year vacation in Madison, WI at UW. Great place, especially in the summer. Never had an issue with swimming in the summer on Lake Mendota.

russ7r 07-09-2002 10:29 AM

I was out there, my daughter was swimming and didnt complain about getting bitten. I did not swim on Sat night of the fire works, however the before that weekend and since than I have and no problems.
Consintracy, what color is your AT? I think I only seen one AT out there, it was White/Green.