Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Stupid thing I did...what about you?? >

Stupid thing I did...what about you??

Notices

Stupid thing I did...what about you??

Old 07-08-2002, 10:53 PM
Gumbydammit

Talking Stupid thing I did...what about you??

Okay, I said i would post this and I am making good now.

Bought new 4 stroke for the houseboat.
*****ed that Merc could not include a trim sending unit with an 8k outboard.
Went and bought the optional trim sending unit for 35.00.
Got home and wired it to the motor.
Realized that houseboat had no f'ing trim guage in the dash.
(Think I would have known that, right??)
There, are you happy now?? I posted it as promised....

What was the dumbest thing you ever did??

There has to be an old thread about stupid things.....

Old 07-08-2002, 11:06 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've never done anything stupid. Gezzzzz. I'm perfect.
Old 07-08-2002, 11:07 PM
Gone Fishin'
Charter Member

When I rebuilt my motor, installed the oil temp sender in the water temp location, and the water temp sender in the oil temp location. Well, they give different signals to their gauges!!! I thought for weeks that I had an oil temp problem. NOT!!! Switched the senders to where they should be and the motor runs awsome. Oil temp is 210 at cruise and never gets past 230. Before I switched the senders it would go to 260 in 1 minute of on plane time. Never saw any water temp, now I see 150 all day long.
Old 07-08-2002, 11:32 PM
Ginger or Mary Ann?
Charter Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Re: Stupid thing I did...what about you??

Originally posted by Gumbydammit
What was the dumbest thing you ever did??

Bought a boat!!
Old 07-08-2002, 11:51 PM
MIdnightRider

Put Starboard shift cable on backwards in a triple Fountain Set Up and wondered why I was having trouble around the docks MIdnight

Old 07-09-2002, 12:56 AM
Registered

This was a long time ago, so don't hold it TOO much against me. I forgot to put a rod nut on. The suprising thing is it held together for almost 2 hrs.
Old 07-09-2002, 08:12 AM
Banned

Last week I bought a new trailer. When we took it down to the lake to swap from one trailer to the other, I forgot the drain plug. Water had completely filled the bilge and was running on the deck. While pulling it out, I thought "damn, the boat feels heavy", that is when it hit me. Thank god it was fresh water. I have the interior out of this boat, so I haven't had a chance to fire it to see if everything is all right.
Attached Thumbnails Stupid thing I did...what about you??-untitled-1.jpg  
Old 07-09-2002, 08:28 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

just this past Sunday.

Always got frustrated because i did everything on the boat while the family and inlaws enjoyed themselves. So i am working to include my wife more in the duties.

so. i start the engines, set their trims to 1/2 up to pull away from our beach mouring and put her in the driver seat. this time I'll walk up to get the anchor and my wife can move us out "to sea" while I put the anchor away. simple enough for her, but guess not me.

I'm walking the anchor and rode along the starboard side till i get to the windshield. then i I guess I plan to tippytoe on the 1" rail till i get to the rear seat to step in (while holding the anchor for some reason) . well the marine antenna is right in the way and the rode is on the wrong side of it. cluster f@#$@#. now I am waving the left arm like riding a bull and the anchor is about to bash the side of the boat. I grab the side glass and strain it to 99% capacity (whew) and procede to slip horse over carriage into the water with the anchor in tote. (the water was only 4 feet deep) WHY DID I HAVE THE ANCHOR IN HAND!!!! for some reason I was so flustered that i tried to throw the anchor onto the sun pad before getting myself into the boat. finally get in as wife was laughing, (and me too)

only thing this was 4th weekend and we had just counted a new record of 187 boats along this beach shoreline. oh well. good thing i have the only yellow/black/white boat out there. NO ONE WILL REMEMBER ME RIGHT

next time. back to the old way. loosten the anchor rode. get back in the driver seat, bump the boat up to the anchor. lift it in myself and off we go.....!!

Last edited by Rambunctious; 07-09-2002 at 08:42 AM.
Old 07-09-2002, 08:53 AM
Gumbydammit

Talking

Ramb...: That was a pretty good one! No ROD nut?? Oy! I think we have all forgotten the plug at least once

Old 07-09-2002, 09:23 AM
Registered

Sunk my Sea Doo Explorer (RIB) twice in a week. Once in the lake, once on land.
Put it in w/o drain plug, filled the hull and motor. Pulled it out, drained it. Removed plugs and cranked it to remove water from motor. Got a face full of bilge water, oil, gas. Those things REALLY spray w/o the plugs in.
Left it on trailer for a week with drain plugs in (wont forget them again). 10" of rain and storms that week caused the front to fall off block (bow down now), and fill AGAIN with water.
I didn't get sprayed clearing the block the second time.
Gary

Quick Reply: Stupid thing I did...what about you??

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.