Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Hey 496 MAG boaters... (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/28290-hey-496-mag-boaters.html)

Racing_Fan 07-08-2002 11:19 PM

Hey 496 MAG boaters...

Found out something interesting this past weekend...if you don't close your air-actuated drain system before running the motor, and allow the motor to run without the water circulating properly (i.e., water runs into bilge instead of thru heat exchanger and exhaust outlets), then an overheat warning buzzer will eventually sound. I believe the sender is located near one of the manifolds or even near the exhaust elbows...it was nice to finally figure out why that buzzer was going off...and I was relieved once the exhaust manifolds finally cooled off :rolleyes:

CigDaze 07-09-2002 08:34 AM

You're definately right about that...

I think there's even a full-page WARNING in the owner's manual regarding this. I never tried it, but I can see what could happen. Thanks for the heads up. :cool:

Rambunctious 07-09-2002 08:54 AM

yea but did the dry exhaust sound cool!!!!!!:D

Racing_Fan 07-09-2002 05:51 PM

Yeah, that dry exhaust did sound cool! :) :D

Funny thing was, the buzzer started going off, I check all my gauges, and they are all fine...water temp wasn't even to 160 yet...that scared the heck outta me til I figured out what was overheating...burned my hand too on those exhaust elbows :rolleyes:

NVRENOUGH 07-09-2002 11:53 PM

HMMMMMM, My 496 seems to have random buzzer that comes on and buzzes for a while then shuts off, the gagues all read fine. I wonder if this is it. the thing is I made sure I hit pull thing to release the pressure, and there is water coming out the tips. do you guys think my7 buzzer is caused by the same thing or is it something diffrent. It is bvvery annoying
Jason

wms 07-10-2002 07:24 AM

Jason, your problem could be a bad sensor. I have had one on each engine - a throttle position and oil sensor. And last weekend discovered yet another cause for alarm. The battery terminals got a little too corroded and was causing a major voltage drop when I used the trim or tab buttons. These smartcraft engines are a little too smart!

One more thing on those little green pins that pop out. Make sure that all the pressure has been relieved when you pull the pin. The last time I did it, the pins poped back in but I still had water pumping into the bilge rather than through the exhaust. You definitely do NOT want to touch the risers after raising the engine hatch when that happens.

Macklin

Rambunctious 07-10-2002 08:42 AM

don't take the hot exhaust too lightly. I towed a guy in memorial day. His first time out for the year.

i thought he was going to burn up for sure. think black smoke. so i rushed over there. told him to turn the batt switch off cause it seemed electrical.

turned out impeller was shot, and he was buring his exhuast hose. boy did burnt rubber stink.:eek: smoked the whole tow back in.