Notices

Be nice, or not?

Old 07-09-2002, 12:59 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just re-read my prior post, and it sounds like I'm suggesting we don't help save boats. That is not what I meant. Like most of you, I'm always willing to help, and thankful when helped. But if helping does not feel right for some reason, we are under no obligation to assist unless it is to save a life or limb. Even then only if it won't endanger ourselves. That's want I meant.

Personally, I'm going to keep helping when possible, even though an occassional jerk takes advantage of it.
Old 07-09-2002, 01:01 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

OK, I'll admit it. I changed a guys impeller out in Party Cove a few years ago. He was about 25miles from his dock and had about 12 people on the boat. He was very appreciative and gave me and my girlfriend drinks all day. I ran into his dad (the boats owner) a week later and he offered me $200 for my work. I turned down the cash but let him cover my bar tab for the night.
So I guess it's not all bad.
Gary
Old 07-09-2002, 01:18 PM
speel chekk this fokker!
Charter Member

early last season i was otu witah few friend and on teh way in (a storm was coming in later in the day) we went passed an bayliner from the 70s' with a bunch of latino fellows in it. Presumabley fishing. They were also feverishing waiving at us as we went passed.

I though nothing of it. But once back at the dock something didn;t add up. AT this point it started pooring rain. After 5 minutes in eth rain i can still see the iny mexican bayliner sittign out there no movement. I figured soemthign was wrong especially sinc ethey seemed to be drifting.

I fired up teh engine flew out in torential downpoors (solo0 my friend though i was nuts. When i get out to them i find 5 peopel in an oopen bow beat to hell bayliner. Dead battery, no pull start rope (outboard), no radio, no cell phone, no life jackets, no flares.
Big ass storm arriving at the present and they were drifting out to the middle of the LI sound. I towed them back. They were very thankful.

And that was my good deed for last summer.
Old 07-09-2002, 01:25 PM
Gone Fishin'
Charter Member

Then there's the people who NEED help and refuse to accept it. Case in point: This past weekend on Grand Traverse Bay there was an older Excaliber (the 26 footer) with his hatch up. I stopped to ask if he was o.k. I can see into his motor compartment. Stock merc motor., TRS drive. Two muscle guys and two nice looking girls. "Na, we're o.k." So I go on my way. Half an hour later at the ramp they are being towed by a BAYLINER!!!! Gee......guess they weren't o.k. It was only a short distance to the ramp from where I offered assistance, and I would have towed them there no problem. Which boat would you rather be towed by, a 21 Bayliner or a 24 Baja??? LOL!!!!! At least the guys looked a but humble at this point.
Old 07-09-2002, 01:41 PM
Member #2 ....Jeeezz
Charter Member

I'll add to this by posting a good, good, good and good experience by helping someone in need.

On a trip to Lake Mead with the SCOPE guys and gals in 1999, we made an excursion up into the Grand Canyon which was frickin' far from where we departed. On the way back, after a stop in Temple Bar for gas, KWB, in his 32 Sunsation thought he had enough gas to make it back to Lake Mead Marina. NOT

That weekend was the first time meeting KWB, but I volunteered to tow KWB 10-20 miles back to Temple Bar. I thought that was good.

While towing KWB, we saw some guys in a Bayliner, fishing. We motored over to them to see if thay wanted to sell some gas. They said follow us, and led us to their campsite about a mile away. At the campsite they had two jerry cans full of gas and said KWB can have it. They even turned down offers of money. I thought was also good.

After we made it to Temple Bar and got gas, we got on it and headed back to port. It was getting late and wouldn't you know, I blew out a rubber hub on one of my props. Now I had to idle back as the sun was setting. KWB said I'll idle back with you. I thought that was good to.

After what was about a 2 hour idle, the last 45 minutes in the dark, we finally pull in to Lake Mead Marina. We still bring up that adventure for some laughs. Today, KWB and myself are good friends and I think that's good.

Any time you can help someone, remember ..... It's all good
Old 07-09-2002, 02:05 PM
Registered

In retrospect, maybe it's just the people in the cruisers. Last year, same line of boats...guy comes in with a 28' Carver. It's pretty shallow where we were at so my buddy and I offer to "walk" him in. He gets all pissed off and yells "I'm a licensed captan, I don't need any help". Fine.
60 seconds later he beaches the boat on the (submerged)sandbar and can't for the life of him get it out. We just kicked back, had a few brews, asked if perhaps he'd ever heard of the Exxon Valdez, and contemplated just where exactly he got his license from.

This year...same line of boats (see a theme here yet?). Guy in a brand new, really big, really nice Bayliner (i know...i know) pulls out from the line and promptly proceeds to go over an anchor line. I yelled at him to watch out and he killed his motor. And then he just sat there as his boat starts to turn into mine and another guys boat (it gets pretty wavy from passing boats). He just sat there with a stupid look on his face. His boat gets with 2 feet of mine and I dove in off my bow and grabbed his boat just as it comes up off a wave and is about to come down on my bow. Okay...tragedy averted. I drag him out to deeper water and he just motors away without a word or a nod.
The guy next to me and his wife were very thankful.
Next week...same guy....pulls out from the line and has his drives down too low. One hits bottom and dies. He freaks, kills the other engine AND THEN JUST SITS THERE AS HIS BOAT TURNS INTO 3 OTHER BOATS!! Once again I have to dive over the front of my boat (damn i can move fast when it concerns my boat) and haul his boat away. He starts them back up and AGAIN is going to motor away without a word...so I had a few words with him. He didn't come back this weekend.
Old 07-09-2002, 02:13 PM
Gone Fishin'
Charter Member

G, I think you need to hang out with different people in deeper water. Hey, you should come over here and hang with us. No bottom problems, and we KNOW how to leave a line of boats!!!!
Old 07-09-2002, 02:19 PM
Registered

Originally posted by Waterfoul
G, I think you need to hang out with different people in deeper water. Hey, you should come over here and hang with us. No bottom problems, and we KNOW how to leave a line of boats!!!!
Yeah...I should!! We really get an assortment of people where I boat. Lots of weekend warriors and boy do they like to drink.
Old 07-09-2002, 02:59 PM
Wild Horses

I’m the Magiver of our boating group. I’ve towed, flushed gas tanks of water, even done a tune up out in the bay. Start boats with dead batteries, diagnose issues from leaking intakes to .. gee buddy, I think you’ve thrown a rod (I was right), but the one that sticks out was the day this damsel in distress was out on the water with HER shiny new Scarab 23’. The stereo would not work, her and her two very cute friends came over to me at the lock and asked if I could help. The wife is paying the lock fee.. so who am I too leave them high and dry. Anyway, I’m on my back and pulling out the unit, stereo that is, when the owner giggles that if I can fix it she would be very, very good to me.

Just then the wife walks by all smiles knowing that I’m just lapping up the attention. Anyway, do you think I could get that unit to work. ERRF! Turns out the guy we were with knew of her from the local strip club. Gees…. Where was this incident when I was single?

Old 07-09-2002, 08:31 PM
Gumbydammit

Unhappy

One thing I have learned. Boaters are nearly always willing to help. The only exception to this rule is the littel ******* punk kid with rich parents and a go-fast first boat.

Trouble is, too many people refuse the help or won't ask!
More than one time, I have rescued ramp problems before they began, only to make river buddy for life!

Trick to nicely teaching someone something. Save thier face. Talk to them in private...... Ask to go for a ride in thier boat. Suggest calmly a certain way to do something... ask to drive boat...demonstrate. Friends for life get made that way!

Puder, run your speel checker!

Quick Reply: Be nice, or not?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.