Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Fountain @ LOTO passengers injured in near rollover >

Fountain @ LOTO passengers injured in near rollover

Notices

Fountain @ LOTO passengers injured in near rollover

Old 09-04-2012, 01:37 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

From what i have read, loto is pretty nasty sometimes. Since I was told its more of a river not a lake, boat wakes just cause the water to turn into a washing machine. I have been told it is like Mosley channel on Lake Erie (the area between Kelleys Island and Marblehead and Put in Bay. ) Between the boat wakes, ferry wake and generally 1-3 foot waves it just turns into a very confused water condition.
Old 09-04-2012, 01:38 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Smile

Originally Posted by Mentalpause
Most cruisers are displacement hulls versus planing hulls, so you will never see them planing.
Blaming cruisers for their wake in open water is pointless. What's next? Blaming cruiseships and tugboats for the wakes they create, ridiculous. Where I boat, there are huge swells coming up unexpectedly all the time but all it takes is to keep looking around what's in the distance and you'll know there is a wake coming!

Small ferry in the background and big ones are just around the corner

catching up to crusie ship going 28 kts already here with huge rollers behind

Old 09-04-2012, 01:43 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by smokeybandit
Question for those of you that do your boating on small inland lakes like LOTO. How big does the water really get?

I have spent my life on the Atlantic ocean as a pleasure boater and offshore racer. The only lake boating I have ever done is on the Great Lakes and that was racing. As an ocean boater I find it very difficult to believe that a driver with any seat time at all would have a hard time navigating boat wakes. I'm not trying to place blame just trying to figure out why people seem to be having such a difficult time with these wakes.
Seems through out the day the bigger wakes get going in all directions and bounce off of the shoreline which can create havoc for trying to read, this does happen in 2 areas of the Niagara river here in Buffalo N.Y, but the trick is not to run 70/80 mph
Old 09-04-2012, 01:43 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Knot 4 Me
LOTO is basically a river. No wide open spaces on it. As for the video, if you are going to have a dock off the channel you best invest in a rough water dock with a breakwall.

Best wishes to those injured for a speedy and full recovery.
I'm going to agree and disagree a little here. I have been to LOTO 4 times with my outlaw 24. Its rough during busy season. Where i boat in the Mississippi is much like the Ozarks. At no point is our distance from shore to shore any smaller than the channel of the Ozarks. We have to stay between the buoys to avoid wing dams and other things put in the water so that barges can use the river to move product.

where i will agree is that the Ozarks is like our the river in width and normal traffic.

when it gets busy in the Ozarks boats can be all along the channel and coming out of coves running diagonal or whatever the hell they want to do. I take it easy out there because i cant predict the next wave. out here we have that much room. also it is common courtesy to treat it like a road. try and stay on the rh side of the channel. but the boat traffic is only 2 way. no sideways stuff no coves to come out and enter the channel. there is always the risk of being by boat launches or beaches where people are planing into the channel but on open water between places people stop it is usually predictable. unless we have a strong wind blowing against the current the only waves you worry about you see because there is a boat making them. To me when its busy in the Ozarks id rather stay on the dock or at the condo it just becomes such bathwater. just wave after wave crashing into each other. but now i go in early august or September. went in may thins year too and it was just right.
Old 09-04-2012, 01:46 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I am surprised that driver could even stand up after that. Those people definately looked banged up. Wonder if it will come out how fast they were going. 60 or 70 seems low witht he throttles buried like that, unless it had stock 420's in it.

Just wow! Life jackets and tethers!
Old 09-04-2012, 01:55 PM
Registered

Received 749 Likes on 402 Posts

Originally Posted by Fixxxer22
I'm going to agree and disagree a little here. I have been to LOTO 4 times with my outlaw 24. Its rough during busy season. Where i boat in the Mississippi is much like the Ozarks. At no point is our distance from shore to shore any smaller than the channel of the Ozarks. We have to stay between the buoys to avoid wing dams and other things put in the water so that barges can use the river to move product.

where i will agree is that the Ozarks is like our the river in width and normal traffic.

when it gets busy in the Ozarks boats can be all along the channel and coming out of coves running diagonal or whatever the hell they want to do. I take it easy out there because i cant predict the next wave. out here we have that much room. also it is common courtesy to treat it like a road. try and stay on the rh side of the channel. but the boat traffic is only 2 way. no sideways stuff no coves to come out and enter the channel. there is always the risk of being by boat launches or beaches where people are planing into the channel but on open water between places people stop it is usually predictable. unless we have a strong wind blowing against the current the only waves you worry about you see because there is a boat making them. To me when its busy in the Ozarks id rather stay on the dock or at the condo it just becomes such bathwater. just wave after wave crashing into each other. but now i go in early august or September. went in may thins year too and it was just right.
Not sure what you are disagreeing with me on?! I said LOTO is more like a river than a lake, meaning it is shaped like a river as opposed to a big, open lake (like say Lake St. Clair up in Michigan). I've been boating both the Illinois river and LOTO since the 70's. Yes, boating on those two bodies of water is different even though they are in essence shaped the same.
Old 09-04-2012, 02:25 PM
Registered

I am by no means blaming a cruiser for its wake. What I was trying to explain is most cruisers can get up on plane, most boats are designed to plane not to plow. I have seen 33 Sundancers up on plane throw a 8" wake and have seen the same boat with an idiot captain throw a 8' wake. I actually chatted with ferry captain one day about this and he said that a lot of new boaters think by going slow and not getting up on plane will save gas. What they don't realize is they are burning more by plowing the water and churning up good water.
Old 09-04-2012, 02:28 PM
Registered

Received 4,297 Likes on 1,241 Posts

I still can`t believe that`s a mother/daughter.. the mother looks like shes 20 something and hot!
Old 09-04-2012, 02:55 PM
Registered
VIP Member

Okay, crazy question time, but aren't those the most shallow bolsers you have ever seen? It's all I can do to wedge into the bolsters in my OL (bench is tripple bolstered as well) and even the bolsters in my old school Cafe Racer were seriously deep. Maybe it is just camera angle, but is looks like those didn't do anything to slow anyone down - maybe something to think about next time you want to dial it up...?

And yes, both of the visible girls were doing serious justice to those suits and I wish all a very speedy recovery.
Old 09-04-2012, 02:57 PM
Registered

Received 20 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by zschaefer38
I am by no means blaming a cruiser for its wake. What I was trying to explain is most cruisers can get up on plane, most boats are designed to plane not to plow. I have seen 33 Sundancers up on plane throw a 8" wake and have seen the same boat with an idiot captain throw a 8' wake..
And what makes matter worse is that the inexperienced boater or observer is usually yelling at the cruiser to slow down while he is on plane, but as zschaefer points out, if he does that he throws out a huge wake.

Some of this cruiser / wake talk reminds me of the car driver who thinks anyone on the highway that is going slower than he is must be stupid, but anyone going faster than he is must be an idiot.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.