Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
looking for some opinions on an 86 29' scarab >

looking for some opinions on an 86 29' scarab

Notices

looking for some opinions on an 86 29' scarab

Old 11-15-2012, 11:32 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My first boat was an '84 S-Type with the 4 1/4 Kaama setup - 454s @425 hp (solid lifters, dry exhaust, etc) and Kaama surface drives.

Yes, everyone is correct. You WILL exceed your budget, but you will have fun doing it. And get ready to learn a LOT of sh!t you didn't know.

Let me get this started - the Panther a 30' boat and not a 29. Pretty sure about that one, LOL.
Old 11-16-2012, 04:24 PM
Registered

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by X-Rated30
My first boat was an '84 S-Type with the 4 1/4 Kaama setup - 454s @425 hp (solid lifters, dry exhaust, etc) and Kaama surface drives.

Yes, everyone is correct. You WILL exceed your budget, but you will have fun doing it. And get ready to learn a LOT of sh!t you didn't know.

Let me get this started - the Panther a 30' boat and not a 29. Pretty sure about that one, LOL.
How did the boat run with the Kaama setup? I would love to find a set of Kaama drives and convert mine

Old 11-17-2012, 10:03 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Oh, I know I will spend more, but for me it's the customizing the small things to what I want that makes it fun. I'm already thinking about pulling the heads and porting them, but I think I will hold off until next winter. This summer, I am hoping to just enjoy the boat, and redo some of the things like the instrument panels, upgrade the current fairly good sound system a bit, and add a small freezer. It will be no different than any of my cars lol. First order is a cut buff and seal.

I'd love to get more pictures, but I didnt even have a chance to get it yet. I got called up to chehalis to rip apart a ge turbine and do a little preventitive maintenance.. The ol 7f-a is quite a turbine though, 167,000hp

I wasn't really going for the fastest thing on the river, but I am told it will gps 70. I'm thinking I can get 75 out of her If not, well next year I will lol. I figure a good port and a cam for future mods, and hope the trs dont fail me. Otherwise there will be a drive upgrade in the future.

FIrst thing is first, I need to learn how to drive the boat. Are there any good books at driving these style boats?

Last edited by airbats801; 11-17-2012 at 10:08 AM.
Old 11-17-2012, 11:31 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by 502ss
How did the boat run with the Kaama setup?
LIKE A BOSS! It was a great setup. Mid 70's, and the drives were bulletproof.
Old 11-17-2012, 10:00 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by airbats801
I went down and dropped the money on it today, Had them un-winterize it and we fired up both engines and ran them a bit in both directions etc and my friend and I crawled all over the thing with a magnifying glass. I'm real happy. I noticed the left side trim is either low or has some air in the system, and im pretty sure the trim tabs are no original.

Anyhow, I had fun checking out all the lights n what not, testing out the stereo. We determined it needs bigger amps, and a lil update. We are going to repolace some of the plexiglass that is worn, and upgrade some lighting to led etc... Small stuff.

I gotta say, this thing sounds f'n amazing though!

So It is my birthday. I figured I'd wait to finalize the deal until today lol. I ended up getting a 3/4 ton 86 suburban with a 454, and 6 inch spring lift for a tow rig. 2200 there. Not bad, and more than enough power to move the boat. Kinda nice having a matching engine too lol. I need to go pick up a drop hitch tomorrow and pick the boat up.

One little bonus is it came with a sun shade. I guess the previous owner stopped by awhile back and dropped it off.

The day ended up costing me 14,400. Not too bad considering.

I haven;t been to the sefair, but I am definitely interested in getting together with some of the local guys. This winters turbine season looks to be busy, so I should be able to get out and enjoy the boat every other weekend or so this summer and sit good

Now I just need to find a white suite and salmon shirt....

Here is a picture.

And no, It was a joke photo putting my ranger up there lol

Congrats........good looking boat. My first offshore with twins was a 30 scarab. Have fun. Pic is from November 1991. Boy I'm gettin' old.

Last edited by 28cigarettess; 11-18-2012 at 10:48 PM.
Old 11-17-2012, 10:41 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by 28cigarettess
Congrats........good looking boat. My first offshore with twins was a 30 scarab. Have fun.
What drives on your 38????
Old 11-18-2012, 12:11 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 771 Likes on 352 Posts

Agreed man - put those drives down. I hear the bellows gods whining!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Congrats on your purchase! I still remember when I bought my boat home; I'm smiling thinking about it. (even thought it was about 4am when we pulled in)
Old 11-18-2012, 10:41 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by x-rated30
what drives on your 38????
TRS

Last edited by 28cigarettess; 11-18-2012 at 10:43 PM.