OT - Who here smokes cigarettes?

Notices

OT - Who here smokes cigarettes?

Old 07-11-2002, 10:41 AM
OffshoreOnly Antagonizer
VIP Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally posted by BTJ88
To all the people how are not now or ever been smokers - please keep your smartass comments about smoking to yourself. I smoked for 5 yrs. Then one thing that pissed me off more than anything was the non-smokers comments about how bad it was and "I can't believe YOU smoke!" Being a smoker isn't that uncommon.

I now choose to REFRAIN from smoking when not out drinking socially. It took a long time to get to this point.

BTW - Michigan legislature just passed a bill that will increase the state tax on packs of cigarettes from $0.75 to $1.25. Apparently smokers are the cause of the budget deficit. We already pay close to $4.00 a pack for premium brands.
Smokers are not the cause of the deficit, but they certainly contribute to it more than nonsmokers. Case in point, the diseases that follow smoking place a huge financial burden on our health care system. You will find that much of the effort to raise taxes on cigarettes is due to the added health care expenses caused by smoking.

By way of disclosure, I do not smoke and never have...um cigarettes. Smoke if you like, just don't blow it towards me, please.

-Mr. Sorkin, 10th Grade Geometry teacher
Old 07-11-2002, 10:47 AM
Registered

Don't let anyone ever tell you that quitting smoking is easy. I quit 4 years ago cold turkey and to this day when I'm dreaming at night -- I still smoke. No kidding. I used to love smoking. I quit because it became an expense that pissed me off every time I bought a pack. Nearly $4.00!!!! I guess I'm too cheap.
Old 07-11-2002, 11:26 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am going thru this right now!! ZYBAN is kick-ass great!! So is hypnosis to go with it! It is still not easy, but it takes determination.....I really enjoyed smoking, but I also got tired of the expense, the airport hassles, the "you can't smoke in here" problems. I decided I no longer wanted to be under the control of the tobacco, I wanted to be back in control....so I decided to quit as soon as I got the weight gain thing beat....I was growing out of 36" pants.
so I lost 30# since March ( I wear 34" pants now), then quit smokes at the end of May. It's still tuff at times, but I am determined this time!! It helps to have a buddy to call when needed rather than light up. Hang tuff!! More goodies for the boat!!
Old 07-11-2002, 11:44 AM
Registered

Location: Lakeway, TX (Austin/Lake Travis) / LOTO Gravois Arm

Similar story.
1-2 pack a day smoker for 20 years (I'm 39).
Got tired of expense/hassles/loss of control.
I used Zyban for 30 days in March -- to get over the hump.
Haven't had a cigarette since then. It's tough -- but am determined this time.

Watching my wife's uncle die in 6 short months from lung cancer was also a wakeup call and added motivation. Horrible death.

Big bucks I'm saving go right into the boat gas fund. Nice. Feel better too.
Old 07-11-2002, 12:17 PM
Registered

Oh yea, my mother died two years ago from emphysema.....a long, slow process of strangling yourself. Ugly...... but it still took two years for me quit. And I still get upset about it when on the radio they talk about taking away more "smoker rights"..... ex-smokers generally are the worst kind & I am determined not to be a "pain in anyones a--" about this, ever!!
Old 07-11-2002, 12:18 PM
Registered

Quit 11 months and 12 days ago now. The patch helped the first 6 weeks for me.
Old 07-11-2002, 12:19 PM
Rough Seas Lie Ahead
Gold Member

I'm a social smoker and have been for years, and that mainly entails cocktails and/or boating i.e. usually means simultaneously. I smoke Basic menthol unltra-lites and I get'em for 19.95 per carton.
Non-smokers don't bother me unless they start flappin' their self-righteous mouths which means they probably flap/complain about a lot of other things too (nay-sayers & pessimists). To each his own whether it be smokin', drinkin', skydivin', race-boat drivin', and/or all the other things that are hazardous to your health but entertains you. Just don't blame anyone else in the end and don't cast stones, that's all...

Rick
Old 07-11-2002, 12:36 PM
Registered

I don't EVER complain about smokers, except or unless they burn up my BOAT!!
Old 07-11-2002, 12:40 PM
Charter Member #737
Charter Member

Received 73 Likes on 41 Posts

Started taking Zyban again this morning.
Old 07-11-2002, 01:53 PM
Registered

Quit almost 5 years ago (wow has it been that long? ) - woke up on Saturday, Mrs DR (well, she wasnt' the Mrs at the time, but you get the idea) says to me "I wish you would quit, so you won't die young and we can have more years together." Or words to that effect.

Tossed my Marlboro Lights in the trashcan. 3 hours later, Mrs. DR says "Either we're getting you that patch or some f*@#$@g cigarettes, because you're driving me nuts!" I had a slight case of the nicottene fits

In any case, I've only had one cigarette since that day. The Key is, YOU must want to quit. If you're not committed, don't waste your time. If you are ready to quit, then you can do it. Zyban, the gum, the patch, all can help you over the rough spots, but you have to want to quit.

I can tell you this - after 15 years of smoking, I can't believe the difference in the way food tastes, no more shortness of breath, your clothes don't stink. It's wonderful - best thing I ever did, and it's all thanks to my wonderful wife! Thanks babe, you're the best!

Quick Reply: OT - Who here smokes cigarettes?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.