Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Need some suggestions - CC w/outboards (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/284575-need-some-suggestions-cc-w-outboards.html)

low_psi 09-10-2012 07:37 PM

Need some suggestions - CC w/outboards

Ok, so I have been kicking the idea around for a while, and think I may actually make the move in the off season. We have enjoyed out Velocity 260 for the past three years, but I am outgrowing it. I think the next step is to a Center Console w/cuddy up front. We do the occasional overnight, so a small cuddy will be a must. I think I want to be in the 29'-36' range with twins. I don't need a speed demon. The reason I have such a broad range is I really have taken a liking to the 36' concept. But also really like the looks of the 32' Glasstream and the 29' Renegade. A scarab sport 302 isn't out of question either. I know some have mentioned the rigging on the Glasstream and Rengades may not be super high quality. This isn't so much of a concern of mine as I have plans to rewire and rerig anything not to my liking. I want a sleek offshore look.

I guess my real question here isn't so much the hulls as it is the power options. With all of the different manufactures and models that are out there what are some things to look out for? I will be buying used, probably anything with Verados will probably be out of my price range... Should I go two or four stroke? Mercury, Evenrude, Suzuki, Yamaha, etc? Which are the most efficient? What if any performance options are available? Reliability?

My price point is going to probably be maxed in the $55k-$60k range. My ideal boat would be one that is structurally sound, but needs cosmetics. This way I can Taylor it to my liking. I have seen a few concepts in the $45k range, a few older scarabs in the $20s (some even cheaper). Since I have always had I/Os, I know nothing about outboards.

Any and all suggestion on both hull brands and motors is welcome. I know there are other brands of hulls out there and I am not opposed to any. Even if they have a fugly t-top. A modern looking radar arch can be had for around $2k. Nice modem bolsters also for another $2k. So fire away guys. What's out there? What should I steer clear of?

the deep 09-10-2012 07:48 PM

With your last sentence you let yourself open but i won't say it ...:lolhit: ...Good luck with your search , that's half the fun !!

Michael1 09-10-2012 08:08 PM

I compared the direct injected Mercury two stroke with their four stroke offerings for performance and fuel consumption, and it appears the two strokes are actually more efficient at low speeds, under planing speeds. Above planing speeds, they are almost identical. Performance off the line and top speed are very close between them, too.

As far as reliability, JD Powers shows the two stroke outboards as having about 1/3 more problems that the four strokes.

Most people say the four strokes are quieter than the two strokes, although I haven't been able to find any test data yet.

Also keep in mind you will have to fill an oil tank on the two stroke.

Engine life is typically not as long on a two stroke, but I could not find any hard data on this.

For the same horsepower, the four stroke can weigh nearly the same to about 20% heavier.

Evinrude claims their maintenance costs over three years to be only about 1/3 that of their two and four stroke competitors.

Good luck with your search.

Michael

Pete280 09-10-2012 09:08 PM

I did a lot of research when I bought my CC this spring and the more your read about outboards the more confused you become. I ended up with 2007 225 Optimax's and love them so far, great on fuel and oil, no smoke and they are quiet especially compared to open exhaust.

Here is the lowdown based on my research

Merc - EFI - reliable but pigs
Merc - Opti- Must be 03 and newer older ones are called OptiBomb
Merc - Verado - 07 and newer Gen II is better, they worked out the kinks by then
Yami- HPDI - Bad
Yami - OX66- Reliable but pigs
Yami - F250 - Great Motor
Rude - Ficht - Bad
Rude - Etec - Good

I love my 30 Concept, never been on a 36 but have great things to say about the ride and fit and finish, you may want to consider some curtains, you get a lot more air in a CC than a go fast, I see your from MI and it might get pretty cold in a CC

BTW: I dont think your gonna overnight on a 302 Scarab, the cabin is smaller than your Velocity

Pete280 09-10-2012 09:12 PM

Search CL in the Miami area and you can find a nice older hull that needs a repower, you may be able to do all that for 60K and have new power with a warranty. also check out Avanti 33's Monza 34, Oceanhawk 33, Powerplay 33

low_psi 09-10-2012 09:30 PM

I only need a bed to overnight in. My Velocity has a bed and couches. THe extra room would be nice, but not necessary. Pete280, does your 30 concept have a cuddy up front? If so how is it space wise. I am not opposed to a 30 concept either. I really like the look of the concept

I don;t want to buy on needing repower... I will be financing, with probably $15k-$20k down. There is a decent looking 36 concept with 225 Merc efis on boat trader w/trailer for 45k. It looks really nice, almost too good to be true, but it has been for sale for a while I would look deeper into that one, but not ready to make a move quite yet.....

here is the 36 I am talking about. http://www.boattrader.com/listing/20...pt-Sr36-341744

Also what type of fuel mileage do you get on your boat, pete? I am curious in my Velocity w/496 I see about 2 MPG when cruising. Just trying to prepare myself for the additional fuel cost.

Michael1 09-10-2012 11:20 PM

Originally Posted by Pete280 (Post 3773932)
you may want to consider some curtains, you get a lot more air in a CC than a go fast, I see your from MI and it might get pretty cold in a CC

Good point! This is why you don't see a lot fo CC's on the West Coast. When the high temperature during the summer is 60 degrees, people opt for walkaround cuddy's or even pilothouse boats to get out of the cold wind.

Michael

frankenstein 09-10-2012 11:23 PM

I love my 30 ft scarab sport. Great hull. I have twin Merc 250 EFI's 2 stroke. With all do respect to earlier posts about oil tanks, I filled my oil tanks in April, July, and last week. That really doesn't seem to be alot of work to me, although I didn't do the research on it yet. ( they're 3 gallon tanks )

low_psi 09-10-2012 11:48 PM

I really don't mind adding oil if going two strokes. I have read there is a weight savings by removing the oil tanks and pumps and premixing, which is what I would do if I end up with 2 strokes. As far as cold air/wind. Here on the Detoit River, it is really only cool the first month or so of the season. THen it is freaking hot and humid. THe river gets pretty warm, so in the fall the air over the river is usually warmer than on land. I live one block from the river, and our cars stay frost free the first few months of fall and winter because of it. But we do get caught in the rain a few times a year, so having some plastic windows/curtains would be nice to have. When I make the switch to a big CC, I plan on keeping it for a while, so I will go all out on it. I also plan on having a camper cover made for it. It will be pricy, but would allow many to sleep on air matresses through out the boat. I also want a full length cover that comes down to the trailer to keep sides out of the sun when on the trailer. I also plan to do a killer sound system. I would also like to do the faux teak padded floor through out. I know most center cosoles are designed for fishing and for easy clean out. But I saw that floor in a red Cigarette Top Fish, and it blew me away. I want what ever boat I end up with, to have a very classy feel/look to it. I don't fish so I won't have to worry too much about making a mess.

I have looked at a few cabin pics of the COncept 36 and 32. I really like the amount of room. It appears to be about what I have on my Velocity 260 (with much more headroom), maybe a bit more narrow. As long as there is room for the port-a-potty (for the wife), and enough room to laydown for the night, thats all I need.

low_psi 09-11-2012 12:52 AM

Yeah, think I have to rule out the Scarab Sport 302... The cabin is way too small for what I need. The concept 36, 32, 30 and older 28s (now the 30) all look to have a very usable cabin. The Glasstream 32 looks to have a nice cabin as well. However of these two brands from what I can see in pics both new and used, the Concepts really look like what I am looking for. I like the idea of the 36, but realistically the 30 would probably suit my needs perfect. Plus the 30 is probably a bit more efficent with twins. We aren't out in the rough too much (occasional trip across lake Erie). So I am sure the 30 is probably going to do much better than our Velocity 260 does. The 36 I am sure would be a much better ride in the rough, but The 30 I could probably trailer (short distance) and launch with my Suburban 1500 and my wifes Silverado 1500. The 36, I would need a heavier truck to move it around. If I go with a 36' I would probably rack store it. I like to bring my boat home to wash and maintain, so I think I am leaning toward the Concept 30. But if the right deal presents itself, anything is possible.....

Pete280, I sent you a PM with my email address, can you email me pics of your Concept? There aren't many of them in my area. There is a nice 36' in my area but I think that is about it. The first time I saw that boat out here on the Detroit River, I fell in love with it. I really appreciate all the help and suggestions.