Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
What would you do to prepare for an open ocean trip? >

What would you do to prepare for an open ocean trip?

Notices

What would you do to prepare for an open ocean trip?

Old 09-12-2012, 01:07 PM
Registered

Received 15 Likes on 8 Posts

You're not leaving it in the water docked, you're using it for 5 or so days and not taking it out of the water - correct? Nothing will grow on it that won't wash off.
Old 09-12-2012, 01:21 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by HabanaJoe
You're not leaving it in the water docked, you're using it for 5 or so days and not taking it out of the water - correct? Nothing will grow on it that won't wash off.
It wouldn't be docked for 5 days straight, no. I don't know what our itinerary is yet, but there's a possibility it would be docked for a day or two (I wouldn't imagine we'd stay in one place longer than that), and then every night.
Old 09-12-2012, 02:20 PM
CLA
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Crossett
It wouldn't be docked for 5 days straight, no. I don't know what our itinerary is yet, but there's a possibility it would be docked for a day or two (I wouldn't imagine we'd stay in one place longer than that), and then every night.
I stayed in the Keys for 5 nights this summer with my boat docked at my rental house. Nothing on the boat at all.

Goodluck on your run!
Old 09-12-2012, 02:57 PM
Registered

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

How long does it take for barnacles to start attaching themselves to things? What type of growth would I see on the hull after leaving it in the water for ~5 days?
What I do (or I should say used to do because it's been more than 10 years now, sad to say!), is run the boat to a nearby sand bar if you can find one (Treasure cay has a great spot). If there isn't a nearby one that will work I run out and anchor off a reef and do a combo of catching lobster and cleaning the bottom with snorkel / mask / fins.

not much will grow so a quickie wipe down is all it takes, mainly on the transom and sides where the water doesn't rush over while running.

BTW, it's legal (or at least used to be so check) to Pole spear lobster in the bahamas so they are easy as hell to catch. We'd take a portable grill with us and cook on the dock when we got back.
Old 09-12-2012, 02:59 PM
Registered

Received 21 Likes on 10 Posts

Here is a link to my Naples to Key West trip. It was the biggest ocean trip we have done, and it was a blast.

http://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/g...-key-west.html

I keep a ton of spares on the boat, and we planned for every possibility we could think of. I had a dry-bag with abandon ship supplies ready to go (waterproof radio, EPIRB, first aid kit, water, etc.) Wear your lanyard, watch the weather, and make sure your boat is in tip top shape and you should be fine.

I love making trips like these

Here is a good thread on spares and equipment.

http://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/b...-bring-me.html
Old 09-12-2012, 04:15 PM
Registered

I've always been a proponent of dual batteries for each engine. If you have dual batteries your battery switch and electrical charging system should allow for the charging of both batteries at the same time when the engine is running. I prefer that my electronics are connected to a deep cycle battery and tied into the charging system.
Old 09-12-2012, 04:35 PM
Registered

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Speed Zone
Ask him about the guy who tore up his boat and cut his face apart on his windshield
I'm dying to hear this one......
Old 09-13-2012, 12:05 AM
Registered
Gold Member
Platinum Member

As I tell my kid when loading his Quad and Dirt Bikes, "Load for the crash........not for the ride"

Just be prepared for the worst and have a ball.

You will never regret doing it.....but you will always regret "Not" doing it.

I have a ditch bag ready to go, and most of the things others mentioned. Remember, cell phones don't work very far off shore. Paper charts and a compass and knowing how to use them is all you need for a back-up GPS. You can rent a EPIRB....cheap insurance.
Old 09-13-2012, 12:20 AM
Registered
Gold Member
Platinum Member

How long does it take for barnacles to start attaching themselves to things? What type of growth would I see on the hull after leaving it in the water for ~5 days?
We go to Catalina Island for as long as 10 days in the water. Nothing that won't just wipe off.

Do keep your eyes open. There can be big junk in the water like logs and shipping containers that will ruin your day.