Performance boat school trained or untrained

Notices

Performance boat school trained or untrained

Old 09-20-2012, 12:16 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Jupiter Sunsation
CLA

I was quoting Crown, so he was who I was responding to/referencing. BTW $1500 or 2500 isn't the kings ransom, ever priced a big poker run like KW? $800 to get you in the run, $750 hotel, $600 fuel, $300 dockage and you still have booze, meals etc on top of that and of course your travel expense to get you and your boat to the run! KW PR is a $3,000 event all day long IF nothing breaks and you live in Florida!
HAH!!
Add $5000 to that!
Old 09-20-2012, 12:32 PM
CLA
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by POWERPLAY J
But someone posted he was an ex racer with tons of experience LOL!
It's hull dynamics and rocket science bro! If he would of had the proper background training in hyrdrodynamicsuperwaterschool it would of totally saved his dumbass!
Old 09-20-2012, 01:40 PM
Registered
VIP Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by redbud35
HAH!!
Add $5000 to that!
That's about what I am budgeting...

Back to Tres! I took the course and had been running fast V's (110+) for 4-5 years and ran numerous poker runs and ran the boat hard... I bought a cat and HAD to take the course to get insurance. I can say I had a big ego and thought "I don't need anybody telling me how to drive the boat... I got this!"

I am an engineer and I understand hydraulics and hydrodynamics very well. The first day I didn't learn a whole lot but it made me use my knowledge to UNDERSTAND what was going on both under the boat and near the drives. It all now makes perfect sense!! He talked a lot about safety and about many things that if you aren't a seasoned poker runner or power boater you probably don't and desperately need to know. I was lucky here in Nashville to have a lot of support and friends early to "show me the ropes" so again it wasn't that big of a jump for me in knowledge. Then comes day two... We took the boat out and ran it turning over and over, making figure 8's over and over. Doing emergency maneuvers and accelerating along with running it at high speed. Tres showed me what the boat can do and he also showed me what the boat CAN'T do and what are the signals that should tell the driver there is a problem. I know now when the boat doesn't like something and I know when it is upset and not handling properly. I know what to do in those circumstances and when something is becoming dangerous just by the signals the boat is giving me. I UNDERSTAND MY BOAT! Now does that mean I am invincible? Heck no and I respect the power and speed even more now than I ever did before.

Guys... Some of us will spend $1500 in fuel at a poker run or thousands on props or whatever to squeeze the last couple MPH out of the boat. I operated within my limits before the class... I do that now but what I have is a much better understanding of those limits along with the boat and its capabilities not to mention what to do when that moment comes that I need that knowledge that Tres gave me... and he's a pretty cool guy to boot!
Old 09-21-2012, 10:19 AM
BRAD SCHOENWALD
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by pstorti
I think Brad just wanted to let people know about the upcoming classes, not start a big debate about nothing!
That was the original idea,Yes!

Wow you guys certainly covered a lot of ground here, I will do my best to cover what I can. I must thank all our advocates/course attendees and do appreciate everyone’s opinions, rebuttals, and comments.

Thanks also for keeping it civil and refraining from the personal attacts which all too often kill the value added dialogue.

Background: In 2003 Tres thought of and began the courses of instruction from purely altruistic motives. People died, it was human factors, preventable, and the consequence was the inability for many owners to obtain proper insurance for their 120 MPH plus watercraft. Tres continued with his program and found some success, but of course, the value was not recognized by the boat industry, some advanced thinking insurance companies got it, but it has been a difficult road,

I moved to Fort Lauderdale in 2004 and met Tres when I went boat shopping, Through some conversation we learned of each other’s skills sets, and in 2005 I officially became a instructor and then partner in the school endeavour.

OK, So why is this important for everyone to know? It remains obvious the course of instruction and the building blocks that support it are not understood.

Human Performance Technologies, Contrary to conventional wisdom, Yes, You can train the human to perform. The traditional idea of book learning and the demonstration of performance does not enable the student to achieve the minimum level of competence required to fulfill the requirements of the training.

Here is a long but abbreviated run down of how this is developed.

A front end analysis’s is conducted (FEA), compiling a list of competencies from accomplished performers, and subject matter experts. The competencies are then broken down to tasks; each task has a performance, condition and standard, supported by enabling objectives. These are then divided into two segments. KNOWLEDGE and SKILL--- Simply-- Classroom and Boat/Water.

The students now learn the why and have the knowledge needed to understand why we insist the boat must be driven, managed, in the prescriptive manner we require.

Now we take the skill to another level. The CIA model: Comprehension, Intuition, and Acknowledgement/Action. In other words you can train someone to be a gearhead.

We identified the common actions of what occurs when the boat becomes upset and in every instance the human reaction was counter to what should be done. In other words the untrained responses show counterintuitive the proper response was.

With prescriptive driving and repetitive coaching to the students, Somatic/Mental models are developed and now the human will revert to the proper action when in extremis.

PRACTICE DOES NOT MAKE PERFECT. PRACTICE MAKES PERMANTENT Learning wrong from the beginning builds confidence in the wrong behaviour and leads to failure.

Boat racer. I don’t care, usually means nothing to me, I have gone pleasure boating with many “Racers” and most don’t know anything/Some of course are great. We use race videos to show exactly what not to do!

The challenge remaining was to package all of this into a duration that would be acceptable and to keep the science behind the training so it is not even known to the students during the course of instruction.

The Outcome; We have trained somewhere around 750 boat operators since 2003 and the programs continue to evolve. We continually review, evaluate, an audit our processes to keep all we do current and on target.

With the exception of a couple of boat owners whose boat broke within the first few minutes of on water instruction all of our feedback has been overwhelmingly positive.

The market here in America is certainly behind in its willingness to recognize skill based training protocols reduce risk. Traditional boat training is all knowledge based and is usually soft skills such as carriage requirements, navigation, and recognition of boat nomenclature. The National Association of State Boating Law Administrators governs the approved courses here and remains in the dark ages of instructional methods.

We train the advanced operators at the U S Navy’s Special Warfare Development Group, (Seal Team Guys). Mercury Racing and Mercury Marine, and I can tell you no one else can provide what we bring.

The Cost: Expensive YES! But how do you establish the cost. We do not have a critical mass here and the cost/value proposition is overwhelming positive for the students.
Analogy: Let’s say I wrench on our boat, change the oil, service it, do all that is required and keep it perfect, I charge a reasonable fee. You are happy we are friends, and the relationship continues for all your boating years, which over time brings a nice revenue stream. This is success.

Boat School Success: Usually we are a one trick pony. We achieve success when you leave the course of instruction and go on to apply what you have learned for the rest of your boating life. You have no idea how many wives have come to me at Poker Runs and conveyed thier thanks. The boat is now comfortable and guess what usually faster than it was. A new level of confidence goes along with the application of proper skill.

Yes, some do come back for an on water refresher, upgrade to a 170 MPH Cat, or yes I am often a hired gun, throttling at a Poker Run for a customer who recognizes they prefer to have help when running 120MPH plus with 60 or more boats for 160 NM. Back to the CIA-- model, however they are fine on any given Sunday with family and friend. The skill of developing situational awareness does take time.

Feedback, We have had many sessions with reporters in session reporting out in most if not all related media. Boating magazine recently did coverage and had the students report out from the expierience. Soundings magazine is about to go through the program and publish the results in thier magazine.

Additinoaly I will be speaking at the Fort Lauderdael Mariners Club Marine Insurance Seminar at this years Fort Lauderdale Boat Show to highlight the importance of skill based training.

I hope this anwers guestions and birngs a deeper level of understanding of our programs.

Stay Safe
Brad

Last edited by bcschoe; 09-21-2012 at 10:22 AM.
Old 09-21-2012, 10:35 AM
Registered

This is what changed the course of this thread:

" If it was more affordable I might consider going" guess his life, his family and friends life isn't worth 1500 bucks !!!
Old 09-21-2012, 10:39 AM
CLA
Registered

Brad why not put all your info out there for people to read and study? Would this not save the most lives?

Surely you guys love this sport. Why turn it into a business? 750 x $2500 = $1.875 Not much money over 9 years buddy! Just being real.

Or do you guys just see rich dudes with fancy boats and think cash cow?
Old 09-21-2012, 10:41 AM
BRAD SCHOENWALD
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by troper
This is what changed the course of this thread:

" If it was more affordable I might consider going" guess his life, his family and friends life isn't worth 1500 bucks !!!
Understood Lima Charlie!... Sometimes we all need a litte course correction.

Thanks
Old 09-21-2012, 10:47 AM
BRAD SCHOENWALD
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by CLA
Brad why not put all your info out there for people to read and study? Would this not save the most lives?

Surely you guys love this sport. Why turn it into a business? 750 x $2500 = $1.875 Not much money over 9 years buddy! Just being real.

Or do you guys just see rich dudes with fancy boats and think cash cow?
REALITY! Because it cannot be properly accomplished with just knowledge. In order to be successful the application of knowledge must be evaluated, coached, and repeated.

Knowledge alone can actually bring negative consequences in an active enviroment.

This is NOT about becoming rich at all. If money was my motive I could spend less time building a business with much less resistance.
Old 09-21-2012, 10:54 AM
Registered

Received 32 Likes on 14 Posts
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by bcschoe
REALITY! Because it cannot be properly accomplished with just knowledge. In order to be successful the application of knowledge must be evaluated, coached, and repeated.

Knowledge alone can actually bring negative consequences in an active enviroment.

This is NOT about becoming rich at all. If money was my motive I could spend less time building a business with much less resistance.
Brad,

Eloquent, constructive, direct, and applicable response that covers all aspects of what your class is trying to accomplish. I appreciate you taking the time to put your thoughts on paper and doing so in a descriptive manner.

Please know, I kindheartedly find value in your class and look forward to taking it next year at the Lake Cumberland Poker Run. My point was for others to back off the responses of individuals who find the classes associated cost expensive. It's not a matter of what is important; money vs. family. It would be naive to think that any boater does not believe in protecting and boating safely. Some people can swing a $1,500 fuel up at each end of the lake. Others add to their debt each time they fill up. Some budget and save throughout the year to enjoy something they love. We all have our own individual values and just because someones financial position or financial approach differs from our own doesn't make them "wrong".

My position: no one person should judge another, we should support guide and provide useful information others can benefit from, all of us should operate within our means and keep safety at the forefront of our everyday lives.

Thanks again, Brad!

Last edited by Sunny32SSR; 09-21-2012 at 10:57 AM.
Old 09-21-2012, 10:55 AM
CLA
Registered

Originally Posted by bcschoe

So not only are you helping us fast boat guys, but you could drop doing this and open a business that would be wildly more successful than what you are doing now.

Thanks for helping the sport!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.