Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Any Good Books on High Performance Boat Driving Techniques? >

Any Good Books on High Performance Boat Driving Techniques?

Like Tree0Likes

Any Good Books on High Performance Boat Driving Techniques?

Old 09-19-2012, 07:45 PM
Registered

My Boat: 2005 cigarette top gun

Originally Posted by 302Sport View Post
This might sound stupid but some people learn different than others, and for me nothing helps more than being next to somebody and watching 1st hand how it is done. I really dont think trim position, throttling, crossing waves, etc.... is something somebody, atleast myself could learn from a book. So, I say go out with somebody who has run hi-perf boats for awhile and watch what they do.
+1 Alot of people riding on My deck boat watch the way I run this boat. Shaved pad an rocker bottom. Running tight turns crank the wheel a little an use the trim. (down) boat turns smooth a has a great foot on the water. Then in a cig twin step well You better not do this. Neutral trim an slow down before the turn an try to not get in a sharp situation. All boat are different. Theres alot to learn an being safe an seat time I think is where it is. If You can fine someone that knows what there doing. Get them to show You. Take them on Your boat or buy there fuel an get them to teach You on theres. Artie
Old 09-19-2012, 08:18 PM
Registered

My Boat: 32' Envision Illusion

Simply watch this video repeatedly and you learn everything you could possibly need to know!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qziEn49CB-M
Old 09-20-2012, 03:34 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by tim mccray View Post
Hey Michael, you're in our neck of the woods here, have you hung out with SCOPE before? Like someone mentioned, theres a lot of really good drivers in the club and some race drives as well, might be in your best interest to join. You've contributed a lot in the past on here about how to drive certain boats, I take it you have lots of experience in cats and vee's, just looking to sharpen the skills a bit? What kind of boat are you running now?
Tim, thanks for the SCOPE suggestion. I wasn't aware there were racers in the group. BTW, it wasn't me gving driving advice. While I am on the water a lot (sometimes every week on the Pacific), I only have some lake high performance boat driving experence, and no high performance offshore experience. So I am in no position to give driving advice here.

I've been looking for a boat for a while, and I thought it might be good to "book up" on driving techniques while on the search.

Michael

Last edited by Michael1; 09-20-2012 at 03:38 PM.
Old 09-20-2012, 03:36 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by BajaFresh View Post
Simply watch this video repeatedly and you learn everything you could possibly need to know!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qziEn49CB-M
You mean stay out of a high performance offshore boat?

This is pretty much what I want to avoid. Things can sure go bad in a hurry.

Michael
Old 09-20-2012, 09:01 PM
Registered

My Boat: 2005 42 Fountain, 1998 Marlago 35 FS, 2007 Sea Ray 230 Fission

I took Tres' class and although its not cheap I learned a lot and had the chance to ask numerous questions.