Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Any Good Books on High Performance Boat Driving Techniques? >

Any Good Books on High Performance Boat Driving Techniques?

Notices

Any Good Books on High Performance Boat Driving Techniques?

Old 09-18-2012, 08:25 PM
Registered

Received 47 Likes on 30 Posts
Default Any Good Books on High Performance Boat Driving Techniques?

I wanted to see if there are any books people can recommend on high performance boat driving techniques.

Michael
Old 09-18-2012, 09:15 PM
VIP Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Here is a start..

http://www.mercuryracing.com/blog/hi...-introduction/

Like learning to drive a car, it starts out with classroom but the real deal is behind the wheel with real world stuff. Sign up fro Tres class or ask him to refer someone who might help you out.

Smitty
Old 09-18-2012, 09:58 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Smitty
Here is a start..

http://www.mercuryracing.com/blog/hi...-introduction/

Like learning to drive a car, it starts out with classroom but the real deal is behind the wheel with real world stuff. Sign up fro Tres class or ask him to refer someone who might help you out.

Smitty
+1 Seat time is the real deal. What kind of boat do You have. Time behind the sticks an then school is JMO. Like reading a book if You don't know what they talking about it's hard to learn. Artie
Old 09-18-2012, 10:09 PM
Registered

Received 63 Likes on 28 Posts

While I'm no expert or professional, I have logged a lot of wheel time moving up from a 20 footer to my last 29 footer. Most of my wheel time has been in the ocean where you kind of have to learn fast, especially when trying to hang with some of the SCOPE guys!

Speaking of SCOPE, that is an excellent source of information. There are some very experienced members and some former and current racers. I've learned a lot from those guys and they are a fun group to hang out with too!

My last boat became second nature to me. I knew it very well and being a straight hull boat of limited power, it was extremely predictable and easy to drive. Some performance boats, like some performance cars are very forgiving while others, not so much.

My recommendation is to start slow and work your way up as you gain experience and knowledge. Don't go jump into a twin step boat with big power and start slamming throttles!

And just like car racing, you can learn a lot from reading what to do but nothing beats track time.
Old 09-19-2012, 07:33 AM
Registered

Received 31 Likes on 24 Posts

The old Reggie Fountain Powerboating Instructional Video is really good. It's from the early 90's but full of great information for a beginner. If I remember, it's about 3.5 hrs long.

I'm sure someone out here has one you could borrow.

Kurt
Old 09-19-2012, 08:25 AM
Registered

Received 291 Likes on 138 Posts

This might sound stupid but some people learn different than others, and for me nothing helps more than being next to somebody and watching 1st hand how it is done. I really dont think trim position, throttling, crossing waves, etc.... is something somebody, atleast myself could learn from a book. So, I say go out with somebody who has run hi-perf boats for awhile and watch what they do.
Old 09-19-2012, 11:40 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by 302Sport
This might sound stupid but some people learn different than others, and for me nothing helps more than being next to somebody and watching 1st hand how it is done. I really dont think trim position, throttling, crossing waves, etc.... is something somebody, atleast myself could learn from a book. So, I say go out with somebody who has run hi-perf boats for awhile and watch what they do.
+1
And go out with different people -- in your boat, in their boat, etc.
There's more than one way to do something (back into a slip, get up on plane, etc).
Old 09-19-2012, 02:35 PM
Registered

Received 47 Likes on 30 Posts

I agree everyone with the "hands-on" benefit, but I also like to read about the "why", and I learn more if I've prepped myself. I guess that's my engineering mind speaking. I have taken helicopter and airplane flying classes, and booking up in advance really helped.

Michael
Old 09-19-2012, 02:41 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Talking

Originally Posted by Biggus
The old Reggie Fountain Powerboating Instructional Video is really good. It's from the early 90's but full of great information for a beginner. If I remember, it's about 3.5 hrs long.

Kurt
Here's the short version,haha http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M8Qzsf6aZpk
Old 09-19-2012, 05:32 PM
Registered

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Hey Michael, you're in our neck of the woods here, have you hung out with SCOPE before? Like someone mentioned, theres a lot of really good drivers in the club and some race drives as well, might be in your best interest to join. You've contributed a lot in the past on here about how to drive certain boats, I take it you have lots of experience in cats and vee's, just looking to sharpen the skills a bit? What kind of boat are you running now?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.