Christmas Cruise - Bahamas or Mexico >

Christmas Cruise - Bahamas or Mexico

Notices

Christmas Cruise - Bahamas or Mexico

Old 09-25-2012, 04:44 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Christmas Cruise - Bahamas or Mexico

Planning my honeymoon and was wondering if anyone had any insights on either of these Carnival cruise vacations.

Thanks in advance.
Old 09-25-2012, 06:01 PM
Registered

Received 258 Likes on 149 Posts

Did new years on carnival a few years back, was still cool weather untill we got to Grand Cayman area that it was nice out.

Fun cruise but I am not sure I would do that time of year again.We currently do a mid Nov one to Mexico every year. However in Bahamas if you do the over night stop you can spend the day and night at Atlantis and that's always a blast.

Last edited by Nate5.0; 09-25-2012 at 06:06 PM.
Old 09-25-2012, 08:18 PM
Registered

Received 36 Likes on 17 Posts

first cruise was a royal carribean cruise to eastern virgin islands leaving out of purto rico. islands were great. kinda snotty on the ship tho.

next cruise was carnival to mexico out of port canavral. ship was a blast but mexico was kinda dirty. belieze and costa maya were the destinations

last cruise was carnival to eastern virgin islands from port canavral again . loved the stops and the ship was a blast!!!

all 3 cruises were new years cruises. carnival is best bang for the buck hands down
Old 09-25-2012, 10:48 PM
Registered

Received 2,969 Likes on 981 Posts

Bahamas....Mexico is a sh!t hole that its government allows drug cartels to run a muck (which, might I add adversely affects the US).. Might as well vacation in Beirut in the 80's...good times.

I won't spend a penny in that dump. Been to both Bahamas and Mexico several times...you ain't missing anything Mexico has to offer.
Old 09-26-2012, 07:06 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by thisistank
Bahamas....Mexico is a sh!t hole that its government allows drug cartels to run a muck (which, might I add adversely affects the US).. Might as well vacation in Beirut in the 80's...good times.

I won't spend a penny in that dump. Been to both Bahamas and Mexico several times...you ain't missing anything Mexico has to offer.
Well for the cruise he would be doing Cozmel and I will argue one of my fav places is there. You rent a jeep at port and head AWAY from the city. Just drive the coast line for 30/40 min, it's beautiful beaches and if you want they are usually empty and all yours.

We go down till you see a cove like area that has a huge wooden red bar that is all rasta like, there you find friendly people, great drinks, no big crowd, and one of my fav places to just get away.

Last edited by Nate5.0; 09-26-2012 at 07:16 AM.
Old 09-26-2012, 07:27 AM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Received 1,195 Likes on 519 Posts

Skip the cruise and just book a week somewhere.

We did a caribbean New Years cruise a couple years back from Fort Lauderdale to Cozumel, Honduras, Belize, and Key West. (Six hours on KW (8am to 2pm only) NYE was the best part. We should have just jumped off the ship there.)

It sucked.

Days at sea are a complete bore. You waste 2/3s or more of your trip travelling on a germ invested vomit soaked boring steel trap; especially if the seas are rough. You don't get to see anything of the real country you are visting; its like going to Tijuana or Matamoros, border towns designed to just take your money.

I've done two cruises in my life, once with the family in my teens; the second 25 years later in my 30s. Let's hope I don't make that mistake again in another 25 years. There is so much more to a vacation than spending it confined on a ship for the majority of the time.

Last edited by Sydwayz; 09-26-2012 at 07:37 AM.
Old 09-26-2012, 08:02 AM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

My Wife & I are doing a 14 day cruise in Jan. out of Lauderdale on Celebrity. We got married in St. Thomas 3 years ago on a Princess cruise & we have taken cruises out of Galviston & we recently did a Mexican Riveria cruise.
My best advice is to get a balcony room, stay away from Jamacia & if you do a Mex Riv cruise, do it in warmer weather than January.
Be prepared to spend your cruise fare on booze. It is not cheap to drink on a cruise.
Old 09-26-2012, 08:13 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by JasonSmith
My Wife & I are doing a 14 day cruise in Jan. out of Lauderdale on Celebrity. We got married in St. Thomas 3 years ago on a Princess cruise & we have taken cruises out of Galviston & we recently did a Mexican Riveria cruise.
My best advice is to get a balcony room, stay away from Jamacia & if you do a Mex Riv cruise, do it in warmer weather than January.
Be prepared to spend your cruise fare on booze. It is not cheap to drink on a cruise.
That's about to change.

http://travel.usatoday.com/cruises/p...ckage/828302/1

Unless,you HAVE to have top shelf it will be about $50 per person to drink as much as you want.

Me I enjoy my beer and they get ya for $6.50, a pop. So I usually spend a good amount, this idea they are toying with would be right up my ally.
Old 09-26-2012, 09:32 AM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Nate5.0
That's about to change.

http://travel.usatoday.com/cruises/p...ckage/828302/1

Unless,you HAVE to have top shelf it will be about $50 per person to drink as much as you want.

Me I enjoy my beer and they get ya for $6.50, a pop. So I usually spend a good amount, this idea they are toying with would be right up my ally.
Yes, we looked at the packages for booze with Celebrity. The particular package we looked at was in excess of $800 for each of us. I figured it was not going to be worth feeling like I had to get my $$ worth. We typically smuggle on bottles of booze and cocktail up before we go out of the room.
Old 09-26-2012, 10:40 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by JasonSmith
Yes, we looked at the packages for booze with Celebrity. The particular package we looked at was in excess of $800 for each of us. I figured it was not going to be worth feeling like I had to get my $$ worth. We typically smuggle on bottles of booze and cocktail up before we go out of the room.

That usually what we do as well. We got some "flask" from Rum Runners .com that we use on all our cruise and never once had a single issue with them.

That package would only really work on a shorter criuse like the OP is going on93/4 dayer). On a 7 dayer you might have a beer or two daily but not 10 or 12 for 7 days straight so it gets a bit out of hand on a trip like that.