Notices

Sv29/ilmor 725/indy

Old 03-04-2013, 10:19 AM
British member!
VIP Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by peterunwin
Hi John,
You would be very welcome the reason we have not been posting is that we have had more than our fair share of difficulties...... took us over a week to find someone to insure our truck. After the Miami show we took the boat to the launch ramp for it's first test opened up the box with a shiny new herring in it only to find it was LEFT HAND!!!!(: with all the other difficulties we had had this capped it of.. so we went to Key West for a few days holiday herring in the meantime sent another prop not quite the right size but it will get us going while they build the correct one. On our return to Fort Lauderdale we ran the boat on the hose and found it impossible to bleed the steering what should have been a 10 minute job turned into a half day marathon!! checking everything and diagnosing the problem fortunate i am a hydraulics engineer... turned out to be the power steering relief valve jammed in the bottom of the housing would suspect from debris in the hosing Ian Hawkins from Ilmor overnighted me a new cartridge, it was a hell of a job to get the old one out as it was really well jammed, eventually removed the part and flushed the pump installed the new one filled up the oil reservoir and the system bled immediately another hurdle over..
Now able to run the engine for extended periods it soon became obvious that the merlin system was not communicating with the engine? spoke with Ian Hawkins again who arranged for their electronics guru Jim Coats to come out yeterday and program the whole system, he went through everything in minute detail setting up the trim tabs and drive trim indicators to my liking he also zeroed them to my preferred position, so now everything is working beautifully we can now GO BOATING.... but the weather is not looking too good today(:

Peter
Wow!

Sounds like there wasn't time to test your boat before delivering it to the show?

What's the Merlin Dashboard like - I can't see it on their website but I gather it's new?

Hope you get to use it very soon after all of the problems - see you in cold England sometime soon!

If it's too loud you're too old!

BananaShark Racing

British Champions 2005!
Old 03-04-2013, 07:41 PM
Registered

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by 39 Unlimited
Great boat Peter, love the innovation. Saw it live in Miami but with the short season here in the Midwest these are the reasons I stick with Mercury Racing.
I'm not sure i understand how sticking w/ Mercury Racing insures that the correct prop will arrive, how it would eliminate any parts failures or guarantee that all the components will communicate w/ one another properly. Some of these speed bumps that occur when one decides to build a totally custom one off boat are simply inherent based on the intricacies of the project. This is no production boat. 100% custom & while these hiccups can be frustrating overall I think they are small fires in the big scheme of things.

I've been following this project since the beginning & realize completing the boat by the Miami BS was the goal but under more normal circumstances I think these types of issues might have been addressed by the boat mftr/rigger prior to the buyer taking delivery.

At the end of the day it sounds like all parties involved are doing their best to get Peter up & running so he can enjoy the boat he has put so much thought, time, effort & engineering into.

Just my .02!

Last edited by NASCAT; 03-04-2013 at 09:26 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 03-04-2013, 10:16 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by NASCAT
I'm not sure i understand how sticking w/ Mercury Racing insures that the correct prop will arrive, how it would eliminate any parts failures or guarantee that all the components will communicate w/ one another properly. Some of these speed bumps that occur when one decides to build a totally custom one off boat are simply inherent based on the intricacies of the project. This is no production boat. 100% custom & while these hiccups can be frustrating overall I think they are small fires in the big scheme of things.

I've been following this project since the beginning & realize completing the boat by the Miami BS was the goal but under more normal circumstances I think these types of issues might have been addressed by the boat mftr/rigger prior to the buyer taking delivery.

At the end of the day it sounds like all parties involved are doing their best to get Peter up & running so he can enjoy the boat he has put so much thought, time, effort & engineering into.

Just my .02!
Very well said. This is a one off boat we will learn from.
Old 03-07-2013, 11:25 PM
Registered

Received 278 Likes on 97 Posts

Any updates?

Having so much fun playing with your new toy

Or

Still having problems and not excited to share the details untill you have more info

Hope it all works out!
Old 03-08-2013, 01:16 AM
Registered

Who sent the wrong prop? How the hell does that get messed up?

It's a small detail in an overall amazing boat, but again...how the hell does that get screwed up?
Old 03-08-2013, 06:55 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hi All,
We have been very busy this last couple of weeks fine tuning and collecting data also carefully running in the drive and motor and enjoying the Florida weather. Firstly the wrong prop arrivng was just an unfortunate mistake that could turn out to be a help from the data gained by the loaner prop I am also a massive Ilmor fan having their roots in race car engines has enabled them to build an extremely well engineered package which i believe is light years ahead of their competitors in the market place, i also regard them as friends not just suppliers. Yesterday we went out with Jim from Ilmor we had three people on board almost full of fuel, all our holiday gear, several computers and tools , we ran up to 92mph with the boat still accelerating like a train with 1000rpm still to go so it is looking pretty encouraging. I am really enjoying the testing part and will be making some adaptions to the trim pumps when i get back to England to make them more sensitive all part of the fun. The thing that really got us down after the show was it was pretty easy to come to America and spend quite a bit of money on a boat and truck then nobody wanted to insure either....... it was looking for a while that we may have to sell the truck back to the dealer however eventually we were able to find companies to help us out but despite having a totally clean car driving and boating records the premiums for both are absurdly high something we will have to rectify at renewal time.

All The Best
Peter & Carolyn
Old 03-08-2013, 10:46 AM
Registered

Received 553 Likes on 336 Posts

"...we ran up to 92mph with the boat still accelerating like a train with 1000rpm still to go..."

Peter...wow!

btw, was a pleasure meeting you and the mrs. at the show!

Please keep us posted and with more pics.

Old 03-08-2013, 11:00 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 866 Likes on 325 Posts

Originally Posted by peterunwin
despite having a totally clean car driving and boating records the premiums for both are absurdly high something we will have to rectify at renewal time.
Thats not because you are from the UK... Its because you are in Florida!

If you dont have it locked, bolted, chained and videoed, it will be stolen. The insurance company knows this.

One of my best friends had an HD 2500 and an Everglades stolen on the way to the Keys last year. They took the truck which was coincidentally connected to a boat. That kind of stuff will ruin your weekend. Stay safe!

Awesome technology on your boat BTW!
Old 03-08-2013, 08:09 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

A few pictures from our testing and a video link....

Peter

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=...3639603&type=3
Attached Thumbnails Sv29/ilmor 725/indy-img_1986.jpg   Sv29/ilmor 725/indy-img_1989.jpg   Sv29/ilmor 725/indy-img_2001.jpg  

Sv29/ilmor 725/indy-img_2011.jpg   Sv29/ilmor 725/indy-img_2014.jpg   Sv29/ilmor 725/indy-img_2016.jpg  

Sv29/ilmor 725/indy-img_2018.jpg   Sv29/ilmor 725/indy-p1000252.jpg   Sv29/ilmor 725/indy-p1000254.jpg  

Sv29/ilmor 725/indy-p1000256.jpg  
Old 03-09-2013, 12:48 PM
Registered

Received 278 Likes on 97 Posts

Great pics, thanks for sharing!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.