Notices

Sv29/ilmor 725/indy

Old 01-29-2015, 06:56 PM
Registered

Received 15 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by peterunwin
Thanks HabanaJoe,
It is always nice to receive encouraging comments about our projects We just recently accquired a 38ft CUV called Cinzano and we are doing a ground up restoration, the hull is in excellent shape and i will be marrying the old hull to the very latest technology including a vented stepped pad,my fly-by-wire steering system and saving as much weight as possible in the build, she will be fitted with a pair of Ilmor 725's and indy drives. She is 32 years old and hopefully after we have finished playing with her she will finish up in a museum.

All The Best
Peter
You're my new hero! You'll love the CUV a great sea boat
Old 12-27-2015, 07:55 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Hey Peter,
Happy Holidays. Almost a year since your last post. Any update?

I have read thru this thread a couple times. I am very impressed with your ideas and skills. I need some more info.

Do you have any pictures or diagrams of your 'balance pipe between header water injector rails'?
Also you 'modified the water transfer pipes between the headers and tails'. Any pics or diagrams? Did you just cross left header to right tail and right header to left tail? I hate those 'U turn' rubber elbows connecting CMI headers to tailpipes.

Your steering modifications-
-high pressure relief valve in the steering pump
-specially calibrated dual balance valve between the helm and steering cylinders
-helm valve'ing modification for greater sensitivity
-system setup on your bench in England with no modifications or adjustments when installed in the boat

So, are you ready to offer this mod to others? I can Send you the helm and PS pump for modifications and also get your 'dual balance valve' to install?

Boats with Single engine/drive can be very hairy at high speeds for all the reasons stated in this thread. I am sure that there is some 'drive wobble' that occurs at speed which contributes to the high speed 'wobble' which is felt. Just 'driving thru this' is not the answer. Stabilizing the drive makes more sense.

My experience with my single engine surfaced Bravo drive 30' Cobra Cat between 80-100mph mirrors your experience. I now have a 'new to me' 103mph Ilmor725/Indy drive Bat Boat, thanks Chuck!, that I would like to see about adding your modified steering to. I am also thinking about having Wilson blueprint the lower with their magic. Both the blueprinted lower and steering mods make perfect sense.

Thanks, Happy New Year,
Marty
Old 12-27-2015, 09:40 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by cobra marty
Hey Peter,
Happy Holidays. Almost a year since your last post. Any update?

I have read thru this thread a couple times. I am very impressed with your ideas and skills. I need some more info.

Do you have any pictures or diagrams of your 'balance pipe between header water injector rails'?
Also you 'modified the water transfer pipes between the headers and tails'. Any pics or diagrams? Did you just cross left header to right tail and right header to left tail? I hate those 'U turn' rubber elbows connecting CMI headers to tailpipes.

Your steering modifications-
-high pressure relief valve in the steering pump
-specially calibrated dual balance valve between the helm and steering cylinders
-helm valve'ing modification for greater sensitivity
-system setup on your bench in England with no modifications or adjustments when installed in the boat

So, are you ready to offer this mod to others? I can Send you the helm and PS pump for modifications and also get your 'dual balance valve' to install?

Boats with Single engine/drive can be very hairy at high speeds for all the reasons stated in this thread. I am sure that there is some 'drive wobble' that occurs at speed which contributes to the high speed 'wobble' which is felt. Just 'driving thru this' is not the answer. Stabilizing the drive makes more sense.

My experience with my single engine surfaced Bravo drive 30' Cobra Cat between 80-100mph mirrors your experience. I now have a 'new to me' 103mph Ilmor725/Indy drive Bat Boat, thanks Chuck!, that I would like to see about adding your modified steering to. I am also thinking about having Wilson blueprint the lower with their magic. Both the blueprinted lower and steering mods make perfect sense.

Thanks, Happy New Year,
Marty
Hi Marty and congratulations on your purchase it is a great boat. I don't post on here anymore i have moved on to Facebook. Our boat is running great very easy to drive and stable. Still haven't cracked the magic hundred as we only boat in the ocean which has always been too rough.
Don't have any diagrams but the modifications are quite simple i weld 2x 3/8" stubbs to the header feed rails and connect them with flexible hose underneath the engine, i make a dome ended punch and plenish the exhaust tube away from the feed pipe effectively making a dent so that the restriction is eliminated, i also use a high flow power steering cooler. On my boat the running water pressure at 90mph is 3psi once it gets to 5psi i know i have weed in one of the coolers and it is time for a clean out. We have over 200hours on the motor and drive still on the original impeller.
Steering system you can contact me either through facebook (peter unwin) or email which is [email protected]

All The Best
Peter
Old 12-27-2015, 04:20 PM
Registered

Received 532 Likes on 329 Posts

Peter's FB

https://www.facebook.com/PeterUnwin53?ref=br_rs

Mine

https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100010555398653

Last edited by noli; 12-28-2015 at 11:35 AM.
Old 03-07-2016, 04:35 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That's an interesting structure, looking forward to seeing her back on the water.

Originally Posted by peterunwin
Thanks HabanaJoe,
It is always nice to receive encouraging comments about our projects We just recently accquired a 38ft CUV called Cinzano and we are doing a ground up restoration, the hull is in excellent shape and i will be marrying the old hull to the very latest technology including a vented stepped pad,my fly-by-wire steering system and saving as much weight as possible in the build, she will be fitted with a pair of Ilmor 725's and indy drives. She is 32 years old and hopefully after we have finished playing with her she will finish up in a museum.

All The Best
Peter