Another Casualty - Sea Doo Sportboats Closes Down >

Another Casualty - Sea Doo Sportboats Closes Down

Notices

Another Casualty - Sea Doo Sportboats Closes Down

Old 09-27-2012, 01:00 AM
Registered

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Another Casualty - Sea Doo Sportboats Closes Down

Sea Doo will stop production of their sport boat line, after they could not find a buyer

Michael
Old 09-27-2012, 07:28 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the news!

Good article to read, the author actually notes that BRP made accusations that can hurt our market even more, yet states that other are showing success. Way to try and take the ship down with you BRP.
Old 09-27-2012, 07:32 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Very surprised to hear, thanks for posting.
Old 09-27-2012, 07:49 AM
Registered

sounds like they are doing a little cleaning up before they make the stock public, someone will pick the line up.
Old 09-27-2012, 08:29 AM
Registered

Wow.
Very surprised. There's a article in boating mag saying boat owners are on the rise this yr. Mostly is small aluminum & sport boats.

Maybe they scrapping the line because the little bastards pop motors like its their job.
Old 09-27-2012, 08:30 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by mwdill View Post
sounds like they are doing a little cleaning up before they make the stock public, someone will pick the line up.
I agree, their statement confuses me. I don't know what Yamaha is doing right in the 22-24ft market, but I have seen a ton of new yammie jet boats in the past few years.

If anythign you would think the down turning economy would support this market. Easy financing, fuel costs, sub $50k for a new boat.
Old 09-27-2012, 08:34 AM
Registered

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by 4bus View Post
I agree, their statement confuses me. I don't know what Yamaha is doing right in the 22-24ft market, but I have seen a ton of new yammie jet boats in the past few years.

If anythign you would think the down turning economy would support this market. Easy financing, fuel costs, sub $50k for a new boat.
Yamaha can't build enough of their boats to meet the market demand right now. Inventory is hard to come by for both buyers and dealers.

I too wonder what the difference is between each manufacturer. Does Yamaha have a larger market share?

Buck
Old 09-27-2012, 08:44 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by buck183 View Post
Yamaha can't build enough of their boats to meet the market demand right now. Inventory is hard to come by for both buyers and dealers.

I too wonder what the difference is between each manufacturer. Does Yamaha have a larger market share?

Buck
I will say the newer yammies have amazing fit and finish, you really need to see them up close to understand.

Also, yammaha marine does have a better presence in the true marine world, Sea Doo primarly has motorcyle/snowmobile dealerships. Funny thing is yamaha jet skis were originally only offered at marinas, they just recently shifted to make them available at motorcyle/atv stores because they beleived they were losing market share to Sea Doo for PWCs.

Me, I think it has probably boiled down to financing. I still have a yamaha card from back in the day. They send me offfers 6 times a year at least. They had some pretty attractive interest rates in the last 3 years on boats and water craft.

Sea Doo claims in the article they have no trouble selling the boats, however they are not profitable. Same problem as Pantera
Old 09-27-2012, 08:45 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 68 Likes on 37 Posts

That is the market I assumed would be doing well.

You can get into some of them for $199 a month. Kinda makes the economy look even worse.
Old 09-27-2012, 10:13 AM
Registered

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by 4bus View Post
I will say the newer yammies have amazing fit and finish, you really need to see them up close to understand.

Also, yammaha marine does have a better presence in the true marine world, Sea Doo primarly has motorcyle/snowmobile dealerships. Funny thing is yamaha jet skis were originally only offered at marinas, they just recently shifted to make them available at motorcyle/atv stores because they beleived they were losing market share to Sea Doo for PWCs.

Me, I think it has probably boiled down to financing. I still have a yamaha card from back in the day. They send me offfers 6 times a year at least. They had some pretty attractive interest rates in the last 3 years on boats and water craft.

Sea Doo claims in the article they have no trouble selling the boats, however they are not profitable. Same problem as Pantera
When I worked at my local Yamaha dealership doing sales part time in the early 90s they were available to dealers then. Not sure how long before that they were available to them.

I remember having to sit down and help do the orders and allotment for the next year. The pressure was one me. I raced them back then so I knew the product line very well. One thing Yamaha always and on Sea Doo then was their reliability. Pretty much bullet proof.

Another advantage for Yamaha was the fact that they were already what I considered a marine company. Given their knowledge with their existing outboard product line gave them an edge in my book. They weren't just dabbling in the market to try and make an extra buck.

I have a couple friends that have 2011 24' Yamaha boats. I'm pretty impressed with these things for the money. They have a lot to offer.

Buck

Last edited by buck183; 09-27-2012 at 10:16 AM.

OSO Sponsor
OSO Advertiser
OSO Advertiser

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.

OSO Advertiser