Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Who makes the best big coaxial speakers (8 inch or bigger)??? >

Who makes the best big coaxial speakers (8 inch or bigger)???

Notices

Who makes the best big coaxial speakers (8 inch or bigger)???

Old 10-15-2012, 06:25 PM
Registered

Received 64 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by 302Sport
So cost aside, there's really no hands down winner?? I do agree that they don't have to be marine cause I never hose the interior of my boat...
sorry I have not been on here in awhile, but I have any size co-ax you want, 8"-10"-12" or bigger if you really want.

My co-ax will be louder then anything else you can get. If I wanted some normal speakers like the jl or alpine it would probably take 6-8 of them to do what 1 of my 8" will do. There is no amount of normal speakers (jl,alpine,ect.) that will out do 4 of my 12" because of space taken up and wave propagation. Let me know if you need any information.

Tyson
Old 10-15-2012, 09:29 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Bigyellowcat
sorry I have not been on here in awhile, but I have any size co-ax you want, 8"-10"-12" or bigger if you really want.

My co-ax will be louder then anything else you can get. If I wanted some normal speakers like the jl or alpine it would probably take 6-8 of them to do what 1 of my 8" will do. There is no amount of normal speakers (jl,alpine,ect.) that will out do 4 of my 12" because of space taken up and wave propagation. Let me know if you need any information.

Tyson
Unless it is a horn loaded speaker, thats a pretty bold claim. Only problem with horn loaded speakers is they are not practical for boats.
Old 10-15-2012, 09:37 PM
Registered

Received 292 Likes on 138 Posts

Originally Posted by Nightlife1970
Unless it is a horn loaded speaker, thats a pretty bold claim. Only problem with horn loaded speakers is they are not practical for boats.
Why not??? All of the good wakeboard tower setups use them now...
Old 10-16-2012, 02:24 AM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Tyson
Interesting claim, I'd be interested in seeing some specs... What kind of power requirements do they have and do you have any pics? I currently run JL's top grade stuff and it sounds excellent

Last edited by AJ POWERPLAY; 10-16-2012 at 03:08 AM.
Old 10-16-2012, 05:32 AM
Registered

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts

Tyson

12" coax? What is the point? Loud...who cares. Sound quality is where it's at.

12" sub/s with a smaller coax or components is where its at.
Old 10-16-2012, 08:10 AM
Registered

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

My buddy is a JL Premier dealer and they will have the 8.8" speakers sometime in early November for the first shipment. I have 7.7" Components with HD amps and sub they sound and look great.
Old 10-16-2012, 08:15 AM
Registered

Received 292 Likes on 138 Posts

Who has the best prices on the new jl 8.8's???
Old 10-16-2012, 09:13 AM
Registered

Received 29 Likes on 6 Posts

Why not??? All of the good wakeboard tower setups use them now...
HLCD or horn loaded compression driver is loud, but not what you want in the cabin of your boat.

First, it is more of a full range PA speaker, and fits the wakeboard tower idea perfect.

The speaker is extremely directional, channeling most of the sound exactly where it is pointed, this will make an in cockpit install very challenging to say the least.

A horn is only effective over a three octave range, sound quality up close with suffer. These have better sound quality than a traditional PA speaker or horn, because they have mid bass, however the upper frequencies of a horn are not ideal for true audiophile quality sound.

Bottom line, if you want loud go with a HLCD, nothing is louder at full range. Extremely loud. Ear bleeding sound

A high end speaker like the JL 7.7 will have superior sound quality, much like a quality speaker should. However it will be less than have as effecient at being loud vs an HLCD.

My friend has 4 of the JL 7.7 in a black thunder, the components not the co-ax, semi sealed free air application running soundstream reference 4.920 and a kicker 30 band preamp EQ. You would not know he doesn't have a sub, the bass is tight. Also the in cockpit sound is studio quality. All around the best stereo I have heard in a boat as far as sound quality goes.
Old 10-16-2012, 09:33 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by ajfisher
Interesting claim, I'd be interested in seeing some specs... What kind of power requirements do they have and do you have any pics? I currently run JL's top grade stuff and it sounds excellent
sorry if my earlier post was quick and to the point, I had pulled over to write and I was in a hurry. here are a few pics.
Attached Thumbnails Who makes the best big coaxial speakers (8 inch or bigger)???-img_3405.jpg   Who makes the best big coaxial speakers (8 inch or bigger)???-img_3630.jpg  
Old 10-16-2012, 09:55 AM
Registered

Who has the best prices on the new jl 8.8's???
which ever speaker you go with buy as much power as you can, less power will blow a speaker easier then more power. And any speaker you use will be louder and sound better with more power as long as it is set up right.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.