Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Who makes the best big coaxial speakers (8 inch or bigger)??? >

Who makes the best big coaxial speakers (8 inch or bigger)???

Notices

Who makes the best big coaxial speakers (8 inch or bigger)???

Old 10-17-2012, 08:16 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have dry pipes above the swim platform....pretty sure it would take the wake board tower on the bow w/ a few cans of HLCD's blowing at me to hear anything.......

I would like to hear how loud/good they can be mounted in traditional spots meant to listen "near field" (relative to listening at end of ski rope). If it really works I'd be interested in swapping out my Memphis 8"s eventually. Problem is the cost is very high on everything I've seen.
Old 10-18-2012, 09:26 AM
Registered

I've listened to LOTS of car speakers over the years, and my favorites used to be Fujitsu Ten/Eclipse (no longer available) that shocked everyone who heard them (they weren't that pricey) and most recently, MB Quart PVL-216 (6.5" components). For the money I doubt there's anything that can touch them for detailed and natural sound quality.
Old 10-18-2012, 10:35 AM
Registered

Received 50 Likes on 12 Posts

I found a pic of the horn speaker I would put in there.. the second pic is if you wanted a coax..
Attached Thumbnails Who makes the best big coaxial speakers (8 inch or bigger)???-horn-massive2.jpg   Who makes the best big coaxial speakers (8 inch or bigger)???-hornmassive.jpg  
Old 10-18-2012, 10:49 AM
Registered

Received 50 Likes on 12 Posts

These are the new model of the compression drivers I had in my car when I did car stereo competition (I had the tad-2001). They sounded pretty good. There were good and bad differences between them and the focal t120ti02's with eton mids that I would switch them with depending on who was judging. There kind of expensive but sound better then most.

http://www.e-speakers.com/servlet/-s...sh-2002/Detail
Attached Thumbnails Who makes the best big coaxial speakers (8 inch or bigger)???-tad-td-2002.gif  
Old 10-18-2012, 12:07 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

a 8" two way is a bad idea no matter who builds it. There is really no good way to crossover a 8" and a tweeter. If you want to use a 8" then it needs to be a 3 way not 2 way. I would stay away from any 2 way system that has a 7-8" driver.

Well unless you don't care about mid range LOL. If you own a Bose system at home then maybe the 8" 2 way is perfect for your boat. :-)

Yes compression drivers are great for output but really not for marine or auto applications. You would be way to close and the depth of the driver would keep it from working.

I work for Harman who owns JBL so I know a little about compression drivers. LOL

Mike
Old 10-18-2012, 11:04 PM
Registered

Well I think part of the problem is that some of these systems that are called horn's are really not horns.

I know at one time there were some horn mids that were used back in the 90's for car audio. You had to do some major modifications to a dash to get them mounted. The few systems I heard with them sounded no better than typical near field system.

Any horn system I know of either mid/tweet or woofer would be very hard to get in a boat. There is a folded horn 8" design by BFM that I could have fit in my boat. Although it had volume, it did not hit like I wanted. So I went with a sealed box system.
Old 10-22-2012, 08:00 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Bigyellowcat
These are the new model of the compression drivers I had in my car when I did car stereo competition (I had the tad-2001). They sounded pretty good. There were good and bad differences between them and the focal t120ti02's with eton mids that I would switch them with depending on who was judging. There kind of expensive but sound better then most.

http://www.e-speakers.com/servlet/-s...sh-2002/Detail
TADs are amazing drivers and speakers. They are used in many of the top
recording studios monitors as well as high end live sound. Their price is pretty high however..
Guess you get what you pay for..
Old 10-23-2012, 07:00 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Bigyellowcat
I found a pic of the horn speaker I would put in there.. the second pic is if you wanted a coax..
Holy cow -- now THAT'S A SPEAKER!!!
Old 10-23-2012, 09:30 PM
Registered

take a look at Krypt

http://www.bulletlines.com/HLCD-Wake...aker-p/466.htm