Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Long or Short OutDrive life ! How many or few hours have you seen ? >

Long or Short OutDrive life ! How many or few hours have you seen ?

Notices

Long or Short OutDrive life ! How many or few hours have you seen ?

Old 10-16-2012, 12:06 PM
Registered

Received 482 Likes on 162 Posts

Originally Posted by Full Force
right, lighter faster drives, I would not say a Bravo is stronger in comparison, some last some dont...
Lighter & faster true.

But back in the day the production classes raced about 120 miles or so in the ocean.

No matter how fast you are you've got to finish to win!
Old 10-16-2012, 12:13 PM
VP of the tickfaw200

Received 148 Likes on 60 Posts

25 outlaw with a 502 mpi with 500hr on a bravo 1. went early ! was not alined correctly took the top seal and u joints. upper and lower were fine.
Old 10-16-2012, 12:25 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 204 Likes on 132 Posts

I like my old clunky TRS drives... and smooth transmissions..!!
Old 10-16-2012, 06:17 PM
VP of the tickfaw200

Received 148 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by Full Force
I like my old clunky TRS drives... and smooth transmissions..!!
Just had my TRS's going through100%. Hope that last a long time. Trans are now what he called a 1400 (11 disk).
Old 10-19-2012, 06:57 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

Received 15 Likes on 7 Posts

Need to add how long was your drive in for repairs ! Mine has been back in their hands for 1 month now ... I have no details or cost other then they had to destroy the lower to open it . They were originally talking 5 grand , who knows now !
What a freakin way to end a crappy boating season .....................
Old 10-22-2012, 01:45 PM
Registered

Received 36 Likes on 17 Posts

from what i see with those drives they are SUPPOSED to hold some pretty big power with a long life span. for them to have to destroy the case to get it opened up there had to be some kind of defect. hope they stand behind their product and can do something for you on this. i know people that put 160 hours on in a season. not up here in cold ny.. but i would be pissed if i sh!t a drive that soon with your kind of power in front of it. good luck with it hope they can get it back to you soon.. might sneak in a late fall ride
Old 10-22-2012, 05:23 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If the op only got 160+- hrs out of the drive under " easy " use with the konrad.What's the drives claim to fame? Anybody else running one? I toyed with the idea @ one point, but went xr because if I smoke it ill always have a standard b1 kicking around to swap out for the time.

I hope my fully freshened xr/imco gets more hrs......but I guess for the $ spread I could buy two upper& lower gear sets & a couple vert shafts too!
Looks like mixed feelings on the xr so far.....ill update on mine next yr.

Last edited by scarab63; 10-22-2012 at 05:29 PM.
Old 10-22-2012, 05:33 PM
Joe
Offshore Cowboy
Platinum Member

Received 28 Likes on 15 Posts

never broke a drive on my 600 merc's 39 cig running 5 blades on swept back / new style XR's w/ 1.50 gears... and ran the boat hard. but, drained the oil every 20 hrs and sent the drives to TnT, had the interiors honed and larger shafts, gears etc.... right after the boat was built and dialed in.

for whatever reason, i didn't lose any speed --- and was prepared to lose 2-3 MPH. Thanks, Matt!!!!

joe
Old 10-22-2012, 09:07 PM
Registered

Received 31 Likes on 24 Posts

Joe,

Sorry you had to spend some money on drive repair but mechanical components do not last forever.

Your drive is six seasons old. 5 years out of warranty.

The 540 is rated to handle up to 800hp. Your drive has been behind an 800hp 598" motor in a single engine 30' boat for its entire life. For SIX seasons at the top of the rating, it's done quite well for such a demanding application.

You are the third owner of this boat, this is the first time ANY money has been spent on drive repair.

Your drive has been used exclusively in salt water, MD, Fl Gulf and VA Beach, not running around on some little lake. Corrosion had set in so hard, the bearing carrier could not be removed without damage to the case. Sort of a double edge sword, if the lower went sooner, it would have been easier to dissasemble...In your application, it might be wise to pull the carrier every season to inspect.

-Just to clear up some rather misleading info posted above, a new replacement drive leg can be purchased (and typically shipped within a week) for just under 10k not 25k. (the entire package includes BAM trans, hydraulic steering ext box, transom assembly, pump and drive leg.)

-In reality, your drive has performed quite well in such a demanding application. FWIW, my Cigarette ate up 4 Bravo XR's this season and built a spare to cope with down time. Sure wish I could go ONE season without failure, never mind SIX! It's an expensive hobby.

Kurt
Old 10-22-2012, 09:46 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

Received 15 Likes on 7 Posts

Kurt my biggest issues are ! 1st maybe when I called you on friday and told you I have a noise coming from my drive and wanted to pull it off and ship it to Konrad so ya'll could check it out and you told me it was just normal ware and tear to just use it and then Sunday it grenaded . Well maybe that wasn't the best advice . Brad in your shop said if I had sent it in with just a simple noise it would have cost half as much . ... $9200 to repair !
2nd My big question , What is the purpose of using a Konrad Ace if its not going to last any longer then an XR . The XR is lighter , faster , and more available . We see deals on here all the time in swap shop and classifieds where you can pick up x or xr with imco lower for 5-8 K .

: Konrad Ace package 20K 160hrs run time , Hp gimble with XR and spare drive 20K double the run time .. are you seeing why I'm questioning if the Konrad is worth the money ?

And a 160 hours is 160 hours it doesn't mater if its done in one season or six .

Last edited by OCCJoe; 10-22-2012 at 09:48 PM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.