Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Boat sinks at Indy Poker Run!  No injuries!! >

Boat sinks at Indy Poker Run! No injuries!!

Notices

Boat sinks at Indy Poker Run! No injuries!!

Old 07-15-2002, 10:53 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I saw the rough footage of the video at the dinner. They were following the 38 awsome and I was next to the owner. The camera abruptly went to another boat and the owner said the boat had a transome failure seconds after the camera moved. Then the boat sank
Old 07-15-2002, 07:06 PM
Charter Member #1171
Charter Member

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

New word is he hit something,,,, cant blame anyone for that !!! Main thing is everyone is ok and the boat was insured.
Old 07-15-2002, 08:40 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

yes you hit something big just under the water line and it's over, it don't care what brand of boat it is, that's just the way it goes
Old 07-15-2002, 08:56 PM
Charter Member #1171
Charter Member

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

especially at 100 MPH !!!!!
Old 07-16-2002, 01:15 AM
Registered

I saw the owner making arrangements for the boat to be towed to the Marina. I wanted to tell him how sorry I was. Figured he probably didn't want to talk. I can't imagine how he must be feeling. Stuff like this can happen to any of us. Even when were careful stuff happens. The most important thing is that no one was injured. Hope everything works out with the insurance. Way too many accidents happening this year!
Dan
Old 07-16-2002, 02:13 AM
Registered

Unhappy BOAT SINKS AT INDY OFFSHORE POKER RUN

As The Local Dealer For Awesome Powerboats,Also Known As WATSON CUSTOME MARINE INC. And A Lake Michigan Boater.
My Wife And I Were Egar To Find Out What Had Happend To The 38 Awesome? In Close Contact With Jim And Marie Of Awesomepowerboats I Set Out To Inspect First Hand For My Own
Piece Of Mind. Upon Pulling Into The Salvage Yard The Boat Appeared To Be In Good Shape.Cralling Under The Vessel Revelled A Much Worse Picture. A Very Large Seamingly Impacted
Area Approx.1'x2' At The Very Rearward Bottom Of The Hull.
I Also Recived A Second Opinion From Someone Who Has Worked
With Fibreglass For Over 30 Years. You Can Learn A Thing Or Two
From Those Guys!. He Showed Me No Sheets Of Delaminaton,But More Like A Severe Impact The Way The Bulsa Coring Was Imploded Inward.How Very Glad We Are For The Most Important Part Of This Situation Is That No One On Board Was Ingured!.
See You On The Water Be SAFE!!!
Thanks; James & Jennifer
Old 07-16-2002, 02:39 AM
Registered

Jimmy,
It is good to see you guys finally realizing your dream of getting into the Marine business. We need some good people in this industry. When Jim use to do side jobs on boats he treated them like his own. How many mechanics clean a boat after they are finished? He has always treated people well. I think its fair to say he has met his fair share of bad "boat dealers"! Now he knows how not to treat customers.

This is scary stuff. It's like coming off of plain in the River and seeing a Railroad tie floating next to you. I was running way behind the pack. I didn't even hear about it until we reached Michigan City. That was a real nice boat. Did you guys get any Pics of the damage? I don't know if you would be allowed to post them. Would love to see them if you can. Good luck with this new adventure. I know you will be AWESOME at it.
Dan
BTW, look what I saw.
Attached Thumbnails Boat sinks at Indy Poker Run!  No injuries!!-oldboatoso.jpg