Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Outdrive question/concern? (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/286767-outdrive-question-concern.html)

phil_p999 10-22-2012 07:43 PM

Outdrive question/concern?

1 Attachment(s)
Just looking for some direction on this. Will this cause problems with leaking or structure down the road? First time I have seen this.

It's on a boat I may purchase this week.

Thanks in advance :drink:

Unlimited jd 10-22-2012 07:47 PM

Only if it was done wrong. Becoming a more and more popular repair that also makes future maintenance easier. Wouldn't bother me at all.

boomer 10-22-2012 07:53 PM

Agree as long as its sealed. I forgoet what it is for other then its to reach at someting inside the drive because it can not be done from the inside becuase the motor is in the way. Sorry I cannot remember what the cutout iis for.

keith2500hd 10-22-2012 07:58 PM

instead of drilling 2 holes to tighten upper pivot/steering arm, you have 1 large hole. alot quicker and easier to use. as long as sealed good, alot better to look at then those plugs.

Griff 10-23-2012 01:37 AM

That is a JR Marine kit to repair/replace the swivel shafts. It should not cause any problems.

US1 Fountain 10-23-2012 05:58 AM

I'd rather have 2 holes with the plastic pipe plugs to seal vs a plate to seal.That's a big hole to seal where you just put a plate over the Merc sticker with some RTV. A plate with an o-ring groove would be 200x better.
But then I'd pull the TA off before drilling holes. No way I'd do the plate method for a boat that lives in water. :)

Biggus 10-23-2012 06:21 AM

Originally Posted by US1 Fountain (Post 3800807)
I'd rather have 2 holes with the plastic pipe plugs to seal vs a plate to seal.That's a big hole to seal where you just put a plate over the Merc sticker with some RTV. A plate with an prong groove would be 200x better.
But then I'd pull the TA off before drilling holes. No way I'd do the plate method for a boat that lives in water. :)

I've used the JR plate many time with no issues. The plastic plug trick is a sloppy way (hammer & punch on the nut) of gaining access to the swivel pin. I've done a few of then where even after cutting in with a hole saw, you still needed to dig into the transom with a rotary file to reach the swivel pin nut. Very bogus.

Ask Audiofn anbout the plastic plugs... his old Formula 302 sunk one night because of a cracked plastic plug.

I do agree with US1, the cleanest way to deal with this issue is pull the transom assembly off and fix it properly.

phil_p999 10-23-2012 10:52 AM

thanks for the feedback!

The boat would not be staying in the water for more then a couple nights when gone away on it.

I am looking for someone on here that has plates or knows of somone with them. I am a little skeptical about this.

Thanks!

BajaDan 10-23-2012 11:10 AM

I have used this kit to repair the gimbal shaft seal and it is working great two years later. It is a nice way to do it with no ill side effects that I can tell. Totally watertight. No problems.

Dan