Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
One K-plane is slower than the other >

One K-plane is slower than the other

Notices

One K-plane is slower than the other

Old 07-14-2002, 09:08 PM
blackhawk

Default One K-plane is slower than the other

Had my boat out for the 1st time this weekend(finally) and my port K-plane is slower than my starboard one. It is very minimal(about 3/8" off from down to up) but is noticeable when driving. I did the obvious and checked the oil and it was fine. It was fine before I put it away last year. Cylinder and lines do not seem to be leaking at all. Any ideas?

Old 07-14-2002, 09:29 PM
Charter Member #232
Charter Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

They can get that way when they get older. It may get faster with a little use or it may stay the same. Wish I had better news for ya

Jon
Old 07-14-2002, 09:38 PM
blackhawk

I am going to go out one more time and hope it works itself out. The planes were off all winter so I may have a tiny bit of air in the lines. If it doesn't get better I am going to try switching the cylinders to see if it's the pump or the cylinder, at least that way I can trace it better.

Old 07-14-2002, 09:48 PM
Diamond Member #001
Charter Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Trust me....

If you do get them to move at exactly the same rate, it won't last for long. I've actually considered putting adjustable jets in mine to try and keep them the same. Goes for drives, too.
Old 07-14-2002, 10:02 PM
blackhawk

Mine have always operated at the same speed. At least close enough to where I didn't notice while driving.

Old 07-14-2002, 10:16 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Blackhawk...what does the fliud look like in your pump? Also what kind of pumps do you have? I had this problem also, I had to tear apart the pump clean out a lot of nasty chit flush out all the hydraulic lines then put it all back together and it worked fine. Also if you do one pump you might as well go ahead and do both of them. Hope this helps
Old 07-15-2002, 11:29 AM
blackhawk

Fluid looks great. It actually seems to be a slow selenoid. I was playing with it more last night and they seem to be moving at the same speed. The port one just STARTS moving later. I am going to get someone to watch the planes and jump the selenoids to make sure.

Old 07-15-2002, 12:29 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Someone posted a while back with a similar problem.
A member wrote back asking if the hydraulic lines going to each tab were the same length. Seems that if they aren't, it's possible for them to move at different speeds.
Might be someting to look into.
Old 07-16-2002, 09:35 AM
blackhawk

Okay, here's what I have checked:

Fluid levels, full and equal
Condition of fluid, good
K-plane "hinge" for movement, okay
Length of lines are equal

The selenoids are both working at the same time, the port K-plane is moving just a little slower. This irritates the hell out of me because they have worked fine for 2 years and worked fine when I stored the boat last year.

The only other thing I can think of, besides a weak pump or cylinder, is lower voltage at the port pump. Either befor or after the selenoid. I am going to take a volt meter to it and check it tonight.

Any other ideas?

Old 07-16-2002, 09:58 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

blackhawk...listen to the solenoids on both pumps when you raise and lower the planes. Do they sound the same? Do the pumps make any kind of a different noise while they are traveling up or down? If one solenoid makes a different noise the solenoid may be weak or it is having to work harder to raise and lower the plane. I took my hoses loose on the plane cylinders and manually lifted and lowered each plane to make sure that one was not harder than the other thus causing one pump to work harder. let me know what ya find out.

Quick Reply: One K-plane is slower than the other

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.