Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   26 Baja with a procharger WOW!!!!!! (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/28708-26-baja-procharger-wow.html)

Audiofn 07-14-2002 11:38 PM

26 Baja with a procharger WOW!!!!!!

I got to ride and drive a members (neverenugh) 26 foot Baja today. He spent two years puting in a procharger and man all I can say is what a nice running boat!!! It has only been run for two or three days and he is already hitting in the uper 70's and the prop testing has not been done. External steering is a must but MAN is that thing flying. I think he will be able to easily get it to 80 with testing and set up. Oh ya those speeds were rull of fuel two people and they are GPS. I got it going I think 74 into a stiff breeze and 76.9 with the wind.

mama tryed 07-15-2002 07:19 AM

WELL, WELL, WELL,,,,,, Sounds like someone, may be changing there minds, about Pro-Chargers :p :p :p

Deltoid 07-15-2002 07:51 AM

Procharger

Is that Baja on Brandy Pond?

wild thing 07-15-2002 09:33 AM

80 mph wow

hay guys whats up I also own a 1992 baja 260 sport
butt 2 years ago i went the route of a 250 supercharger
hung all kinds of good stuff on my big block.
i did 68 mph at 4600 rpm 3 psi boost swithed
to 5psi pulley 26 4 blade prop but the lake has
not couperated with me that dam lake michican.
so tell me whats your secret what prop you running
tell me a little about your boat .

obnoxus 07-15-2002 09:39 AM

What motor did you guys start with,,, I have a 97 272 with a 502 MPI, blueprinted hull, labbed prop, and headers that runs 71 on GPS.....??????? Plus the 260 only has a 21 degree deadrise so it should be faster then the 272 which has a 24 degree.

NEVRENUFF 07-15-2002 10:39 AM

Yes, the Procharger works great!

I picked up the boat 2 years ago and it was in nice shape but pretty grubby (needed lots of TLC).

Biggus and I took it for a test ride and it maxed out at 63-64 on the VDO speedo (verified yesterday that the speedo reads ~4-5 mph high at the top end). I decided to buy it based on Kurt's input and the fact that the boat handled really well.

Brought it home and decided that I wanted to run through the motor and drive. The motor (454 MAG) was freshened up about 50 hours back but I wanted to check things out for myself. The guy that owned it before me put Stainless Marine manifolds and risers on it and what was described as a mid cam.

Long story short, I decided to add the Procharger, roller cam & lifters, and all the other necessary peripherals. I went with the Procharger mostly because of minimum space requirements, simplicity and ability to use basically stock engine. I also liked the ability to cool the compressed air prior to adding the fuel.

I have to note that there was lots of information and input that came from OSO members and this board that guided me through the process and fed me the important stuff to make the package work right.

After all said and done, the whole thing fit under the hatch and I am absolutely convinced that the boat picked up an honest 17-18 mph first shot out. I even added a couple hundred pounds of stuff (K-Planes, Procharger kit components, sea strainer, etc) along the way.

First tests were done with a 25 pitch Mirage plus prop that was originally off an Alpha drive so I think the diameter is on the small side. Max speed was 77.4 on the GPS with the motor spinning @ 5400-5500 rpm. Procharger kit is M1-SC with intercooler and 5 PSI pulleys. (getting 5.5 psi in the manifold @ WOT)

Oh yeah, I should also mention that I am running Corsa Quick & Quiet Plus with sliencer tips! I bet those are stealing a few Ponies, but I really like the sound!

The whole package worked incredibly well right out of the gate and I'm just about to start tuning.

Going for hydraulic steering post haste though!

Thanks again for all the input from the OSO Members!

I'm REALLY enjoying the boat! :D :D

I also found out that Jon drives almost as well as he parties!!

Nevrenuff

Zoom3 07-15-2002 11:15 AM

Deltoid,

Yes, on Brandy Pond.

Audio,

Where are the pictures ?

Deltoid 07-15-2002 01:11 PM

Thanks zoom3, My neighbors in Sebago, Jim and Randy said they had a ride on a Baja with a supercharger. They were impressed.

Audiofn 07-15-2002 02:08 PM

MamaTryde you said a turbo not a supercharger or procharger. If you were talking a procharger then I am all for it. It does sound a little odd like there is a box of marbles roleing around back there but you CAN NOT argue with the performance gains. The boat handles the speed VERY well. There was a little chine walk but nothing sevear, easy to drive through, and that was mostly due to play in the steering. The speeds that we hit were with a full tank remember. I got to say even for a cheap bastard (kidding :D:D, One of the few things I remember from that night :D:D) he did a WONDERFULL job on this install!!!! No corners cut that I could see. Looked like some custom brackets to me and it is very clean. Paul one thing that I did notice was the throttle handle is VERY close to the tab button at WOT. You may want to see if you can adjust the travel back on that so that you do not hit the tab button by accident and cause a tab down situation when it is not wanted. Other then that THANKS FOR THE RIDE and letting me drive. You are on your way to having a WONDERFULL sleeper. Oh ya I am convinced those guys that gave us the finger when we told them their swim ladder was out must have been from NY :D:D I will post the pictures later this evening.

NEVRENUFF 07-15-2002 04:23 PM

Thanks for all the nice press Jon,

Especially after you relentlessly abused me for taking so long.

Yeah, I agonized over the location of the tab switch panel for a long time but as you saw, there isn't too much real estate on that dash to put things.

Any time you want to go for a ride, I'm game! Now on the fuel.......you know how much of a cheap bastard I really am!

Oh...and um.....Jon,....who was it that kicked your ass that night?!?! What was HER name again? Or are you suffering from selective amnesia!

Deltoid, Yeah, I've been friends with Jim and Randy for 20 years. We had a good time that day but at one point, I looked back Jimbo's girl Deb was crouched down in the corner of the back seat with her arms wrapped around her head:eek:! Oops!