Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Should I go on TV interview for "American Greed"? (Local boat title scammer) >

Should I go on TV interview for "American Greed"? (Local boat title scammer)

Notices

Should I go on TV interview for "American Greed"? (Local boat title scammer)

Old 02-25-2013, 10:25 AM
Registered

Received 49 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by Back4More
Looked like the banks were all to eager to lend money out....
thats a problem here in Canada -- not sure how it works in the US banking system. Here the bank employees are given a set number of sales to achieve weekly, visas, home mortgages, lines of credit --- boat loans are all pushed by the bank with a high degree sales force. Someone walking in to get an million dollar loan and has collateral ( fake in this case ) to back it up is a huge sale for the bank employee.
When you take into the consideration of the timing of when this was all going down and the fact that the banks were loaning way above realistic values i can see where this would get out of hand.

Most people would not even think that anyone would pull this kind of con -- but alot of them came to the surface since 2008...

I feel sorry for the people that lost their hard earned money because of cons like this.
Old 02-25-2013, 10:30 AM
never trade luck for skil
Gold Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by TCBoss302
My buddy has 700's with 6's, so must be a different 42'. It is the exact same paint though and bought from Shjogren about the same time Vorce went down the second time....
Maybe it had 6s?? I found out about after he got caught the 2nd time cause the Feds were looking for it.
Old 05-29-2014, 05:59 AM
Registered

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Show Re-aired again last night. First time I had seen or heard of the scam. Recognized the Nor-Easter Nortech.
Old 05-29-2014, 06:31 AM
Registered

Received 256 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by NASCAT
Show Re-aired again last night. First time I had seen or heard of the scam. Recognized the Nor-Easter Nortech.
Whatever came of that boat?

Seen the episode a bunch now and it's crazy how willing the banks were to loan.
Old 05-29-2014, 07:08 AM
Registered

No clue, maybe repainted to help extinguish the negative chatter.
Old 05-29-2014, 07:38 AM
Registered

Received 878 Likes on 476 Posts

I like that show but they sometimes get too dramatic with the story telling......

Banks in the boom were aggressively lending to anyone, then overly aggressively lending to repeat clients that have paid the loans back so for the scammers it was a dream come true. Vorce did it with boats, some other guys did it with real estate/construction projects. The show gives you a national perspective of problems.....turns out not all the scammers are from Florida/NY/TX after all!
Old 05-29-2014, 07:41 AM
Registered

Agreed, but gotta love the online loan application process. What were the banks thinking??
I can't believe not 1 bank asked to see the boat before they loaned the $$$.
Even my insurance company wants pics of everything they insure for me.
Old 05-29-2014, 07:41 AM
Registered

Received 878 Likes on 476 Posts

Originally Posted by delsol
I would think the 2000/3 55' Hylite that was mentioned is the green wing 2 that is now listed on national liquadators site for $349000

Other than a fake title did it get wrapped up in the scam also? Or is it just listed for sale under normal circumstances?

It's had a fairly colorful past also...
I heard that boat got run aground at speed in the keys, deep ino the mangroves......wrecked the plants but the boat was unscathed!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.