Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   OT/ Cable Modems (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/28801-ot-cable-modems.html)

timewarp 07-15-2002 11:10 PM

OT/ Cable Modems

I'm not real computer literate, am getting highspeed cable internet service and they want $4.95 per month to lease a cable modem, is this a good deal or would I be better off buying one? They will install it either way but they recommend the lease because if anything goes wrong with it they will fix it, I haven't had any hardware problems with my computer and I would think that the cable modem should be relatively trouble free unless I get a bad one and then I should discover that while it is still in warranty.
So should I buy or lease?
If I buy is there a brand that is better than the others or any special features to look for?
Thanks,

Caleb

MitchStellin 07-15-2002 11:17 PM

I pay $5 for mine. The speed is worth every penny. I have the middle speed 756 moden setting and it is plenty fast enough.

Tinkerer 07-15-2002 11:20 PM

Buy the MOTOROLA SB4100--- You can get it on the internet for less than $100.

That $5 a month adds up fast.

BajaBoss252 07-15-2002 11:20 PM

You can get a cable modem for about $65. Just make sure it is DOCSIS compatible and you should be fine. The only thing the cable company needs is the MAC address which is usually on the label on the modem.

Ron P 07-15-2002 11:22 PM

You can buy a cable modem anywhere from $125 to $199. So do the math. I still rent mine and I work for a company that makes cable modems. Something is wrong here.

I should really buy it. In two years I will have paid $120 and still renting. I guess the question is, How long do you plan on having a cable modem for internet access? Probably the rest of my life unless they come out with something better.

Tinkerer 07-15-2002 11:39 PM

OH and by the way --- get a firewall---You will need it with cable.

timewarp 07-16-2002 02:16 AM

Thanks for the replies,

Troutly,
How come so many modems, are they upgrades or are you holding the throttle down to long when you get in the rough stuff???:D :D

Caleb

spacecowboy 07-16-2002 02:34 AM

Caleb

NW_jim and I both have ATT cable internet. Jim rents his and I own mine. A file Jim can download in 5 mins it takes me 3 mins
the upper line modems have a better compression that enables faster downloads. It all depends on what you are doing with it

for me owning mine is better, I'm a power user

I hope that helps

timewarp 07-16-2002 03:08 AM

Spacecowboy,
What brand modem do you have, do you own a Superboat?

Caleb

SHARKEY-IMAGES 07-16-2002 07:24 AM

I also rent and also on my second one... It is a real pain when it stops working. You never know for sure the cause. If you own one, you know for sure the cable company will always blame the connection problems with YOUR MODEM. :rolleyes:
So now if it happens I say that to them.....:D :D :D ...then it's replaced for free..;) or should I say $4.95 per month? Consider it an insurance policy, that's all....
Besides, like RonP said, if the technology changes or you get fed up with the cable company, you can always walk away without a major expense.