Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Kiekhaefer Leaving Mercury Racing (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/288511-kiekhaefer-leaving-mercury-racing.html)

Matt Trulio 12-05-2012 04:34 PM

Kiekhaefer Leaving Mercury Racing

Just in, http://speedonthewater.com/in-the-ne...ry-racing.html.

C_Spray 12-05-2012 07:41 PM

Wow. Sounds like they were grooming Christiansen to take over for a couple of years, but keeping Fred's departure quiet until the last minute.

If you haven't read "Iron Fist" about Carl Kiekhafer, I highly recommend it.

billpor930 12-05-2012 08:30 PM

Good! Now that they're losing that big salary they can charge us less for parts when their drives break - right.

Matt Trulio 12-06-2012 05:49 PM

Originally Posted by C_Spray (Post 3827052)
Wow. Sounds like they were grooming Christiansen to take over for a couple of years, but keeping Fred's departure quiet until the last minute.

If you haven't read "Iron Fist" about Karl Kiekhafer, I highly recommend it.

I wrote a profile about Fred for Powerboat some years back, and we spent a lot of time talking about his dad. Carl Kiekhaefer had one way of doing things—his. Fortunately, his way was more often than not was really, really good.

Fred told me many times during our interviews, and his quotes made it into the story, that his dad was not easy to grow up with. But Carl Kiekhaefer's work ethic, drive, focus, intelligence and competitive spirit certainly rubbed off on his son.

PARADOX 12-06-2012 07:09 PM

I met Fred K at a Poker Run in Benton Harbor. (Pier 33/Thunder Marine run) Long time ago for sure lol, I think he was runnng an Apache with US flag graphics, and "yellow painted outdrives" He was interviewd for the run and said. "You must be pretty confident in your drives when you willling to paint them lemon jellow. " and just grinned. Times do change but I hate to see him go.

Comanche3Six 12-06-2012 08:18 PM

Dynamite man for offshore marine propulsion. Builder of the K drive, just a beautiful piece of machinery. I wish him the best.

T2x 12-07-2012 07:40 AM

Originally Posted by billpor930 (Post 3827096)
Good! Now that they're losing that big salary they can charge us less for parts when their drives break - right.

Without the Kiekhaefer legacy you wouldn't have drives in the first place. Fred and his dad are without doubt the most significant factors in the development of both high performance and recreational boating technology as it exists today. No other names should even be in the same conversation. I've known, worked with, and admired Fred for years and am proud to call him my friend. Darren and I wish him nothing but the best in coming years. Fred Kiekhaefer can certainly look back with satisfaction on a carfeer that could not have been more perfectly executed. In the end he, too, has earned the title "Mister Kiekhaefer" right along side his old man.

innerrage 12-07-2012 07:49 AM

Well said,T2x

Matt Trulio 12-07-2012 09:06 AM

Originally Posted by T2x (Post 3827888)
Without the Kiekhaefer legacy you wouldn't have drives in the first place. Fred and his dad are without doubt the most significant factors in the development of both high performance and recreational boating technology as it exists today. No other names should even be in the same conversation. I've known, worked with, and admired Fred for years and am proud to call him my friend. Darren and I wish him nothing but the best in coming years. Fred Kiekhaefer can certainly look back with satisfaction on a carfeer that could not have been more perfectly executed. In the end he, too, has earned the title "Mister Kiekhaefer" right along side his old man.

Amen.

ICDEDPPL 12-07-2012 09:59 AM

If you bet me $100 to spell his name right you`d win. :bunnydance: