Notices

Donzi Vs Fountain

Old 12-14-2012, 07:15 AM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Indy
I thought the 525 Fountains ran 100+? All I hear here is upper 80s?
You need 700's for 100+ in a 42.
Old 12-14-2012, 07:56 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I know advertised top speed under ideal conditions sells boats, but it really doesn't mean jack in real world conditions as I've seen time and time again ....... Just buy both boats try them out and sell one, sounds like a tough job, but somebody's got to do it ...... I'd start with the ZR, looks way Killer !!!!!!
Old 12-14-2012, 09:08 AM
Registered

Received 341 Likes on 119 Posts

Originally Posted by Bullhead
I was using the Fountain facility to launch my Donzi one day when Reggie came along....he made reference to the fact that the bottom was a copy of his design...didn't seem to upset about it just very matter of fact
Fountains and Donzi's have very similar hull designs because the same person was hired by both companies to design their steps. Here's an excerpt from an article on the Donzi ZRC when it first came out.

......" Stepped bottoms have added many benefits to a boat's performance, mostly increased speed and fuel economy. But rarely have you heard that they benefit a boat's handling. Why? Steps force air beneath the boat's hull, which can disrupt the hull's adhesion to the water. Less adhesion equals less maneuverability.

Or so they say. While developing its new 38 ZR for a return to offshore racing, Donzi consulted Jim Caldwell, who was instrumental in designing the first stepped hulls for Fountain. Donzi claims that Caldwell's new design, called Fluid Diversion, improves a stepped-hull boat's handling by diverting water away from certain sections, or pressure points, on its running surface. As you initiate a turn, water is pushed away from the bottom of the inboard side of the hull, resulting in more stability."

http://www.boatingmag.com/donzi-38-zr-power-curves

The story as told to me was that when team Donzi hired Mr. Caldwell from Fountain he asked them if they wanted their new hull to be the fastest boat in a straight line or the fastest to get around a twisty, turning race course. They decided on the latter and thus the hull he came up with for the ZRC's is slightly different than what he designed for Fountain. It seemed to work well for Donzi as you never seem to hear about ZR's swapping ends in a turn, but they are a little slower in a straight line.
Old 12-14-2012, 01:15 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 68 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by Marginmn
Fountains and Donzi's have very similar hull designs because the same person was hired by both companies to design their steps. Here's an excerpt from an article on the Donzi ZRC when it first came out.

......" Stepped bottoms have added many benefits to a boat's performance, mostly increased speed and fuel economy. But rarely have you heard that they benefit a boat's handling. Why? Steps force air beneath the boat's hull, which can disrupt the hull's adhesion to the water. Less adhesion equals less maneuverability.

Or so they say. While developing its new 38 ZR for a return to offshore racing, Donzi consulted Jim Caldwell, who was instrumental in designing the first stepped hulls for Fountain. Donzi claims that Caldwell's new design, called Fluid Diversion, improves a stepped-hull boat's handling by diverting water away from certain sections, or pressure points, on its running surface. As you initiate a turn, water is pushed away from the bottom of the inboard side of the hull, resulting in more stability."

http://www.boatingmag.com/donzi-38-zr-power-curves

The story as told to me was that when team Donzi hired Mr. Caldwell from Fountain he asked them if they wanted their new hull to be the fastest boat in a straight line or the fastest to get around a twisty, turning race course. They decided on the latter and thus the hull he came up with for the ZRC's is slightly different than what he designed for Fountain. It seemed to work well for Donzi as you never seem to hear about ZR's swapping ends in a turn, but they are a little slower in a straight line.

This sounds spot on....as i pointed out earlier they displayed different characteristics while turning....i also felt that the Donzi did not roll quite as much when encountering side wakes but again did not handle the rough as well (might simply be a matter of weight)...ultimately my opinion is the Fountain is overall a little better....the best speed I saw with the Donzi (525's, ITS, labbed herrings) was 92mph
Old 12-14-2012, 02:42 PM
Registered

Received 341 Likes on 119 Posts

This sounds spot on....as i pointed out earlier they displayed different characteristics while turning....i also felt that the Donzi did not roll quite as much when encountering side wakes but again did not handle the rough as well (might simply be a matter of weight)...ultimately my opinion is the Fountain is overall a little better....the best speed I saw with the Donzi (525's, ITS, labbed herrings) was 92mph
You've had some dam nice boats - present one included.
Old 12-14-2012, 05:33 PM
Registered

Received 23 Likes on 10 Posts

bullhead u looking to adopt a son. lol i need more money to get whipple superchargers....

Last edited by 1989mach1; 12-14-2012 at 05:39 PM.
Old 12-15-2012, 10:04 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by Marginmn
You've had some dam nice boats - present one included.
Look who's talking......I hope we cross paths somewhere this year so I can check out that ZRComp in person
Old 12-15-2012, 10:11 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by 1989mach1
bullhead u looking to adopt a son. lol i need more money to get whipple superchargers....
With two "trendy" daughters in college I'll have to pass.....my Bro-in-law had a 99 33ZX....it was a great boat.....lots of room, killer cabin and would run in the high 70's with stock 496's
Old 12-15-2012, 11:13 AM
Neno the mind boggler
VIP Member

Received 271 Likes on 96 Posts

my Bro-in-law had a 99 33ZX....it was a great boat.....lots of room, killer cabin and would run in the high 70's with stock 496's
iI have a 38ZX and its surprisingly fast for a nine plus foot wide eleven thousand five hundred pound (dry) boat. Best of 82mph with mere 525's on GPS. I had thought John Coskar designed those, was the ZX line also from Caldwell?
08 OPA High Points Champion
10 OPA Class 1 National Champion ( happy now Ed! )
Old 12-15-2012, 11:42 AM
Registered

Received 23 Likes on 10 Posts

With two "trendy" daughters in college I'll have to pass.....my Bro-in-law had a 99 33ZX....it was a great boat.....lots of room, killer cabin and would run in the high 70's with stock 496's
Ya I love it. I have 500 efis and pulled out 80 this summer. Its in for top ends now hopeing to get alittle more with fresh motors and drives. The wider beam and the wight relly helps in bigger water. Came back from pib in 5s doing about 55 60 and just toped um big differance from my 27 where it toped out at 50 and beat ya to death

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.