Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Need some advice on gimbal ring install...... >

Need some advice on gimbal ring install......

Notices

Need some advice on gimbal ring install......

Old 07-16-2002, 10:32 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Theres the big oring for the gimbal housing (transom) and the one behind the water elbow and one on the exhaust bullhorns (if your still using them) and the 2 seals for the lower 2 bolts (I think they are just o-rings). If you need any pics of anything, let me know. Make sure the steering arm shaft to gimbal ring is tight on the new one before you put it on.
Tom
Old 07-16-2002, 10:40 PM
Registered

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Mike --- You know how we tilted the motor forward to get at the back motor mount washers and bolts. With the exhaust off could you get at the lower bolts if the engine was tilted way forward. And then brace it forward so that you can't get pinched.
Old 07-16-2002, 10:44 PM
Gone Fishin'
Charter Member

I was kinda thinking the same thing Tinkerboater. Need to look at it better this week. I'm more concerned with getting the new one on watertight.
Old 07-16-2002, 10:49 PM
Registered

Dont know if its right but i use weatherstyrip adhesive to glue the o-ring to the gimbal housing and then a thin coat of ultrablack on the o-ring and on it goes. After it sets up, you can use an exacto knife to remove any ultrablack that squirts out. Just dont use 5200 like my oem did. That was fun to get off.
Old 07-16-2002, 11:18 PM
Registered

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

The water sealing is all on the outside. Shouldn't have to do anything inside except remove the bolts and nuts and hoses. We will have to realign the drive.
Old 07-17-2002, 08:42 AM
Charter Member #601
Charter Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Mike,
Your headed on the right track... check the new unit out and make sure the pivots and pins are good. The weather strip adhesive that formula mentioned will work, you can get some glue for it at West Marine, but the weather strip adhesive will work. While you have it off, make sure the transom is sealed where the bolt ares. Some RTV coating the holes so water cant be absorbed into the transom is a good idea.
I did this on my 25 Check and we had silent choice with the Y pipe to deal with, but it is doable. I left everything hooked up and lifted the motor and moved it forward..

I have an alignment tool if you need one.

Good luck, let us know how it goes.. I have company this weekend from out of town or I would lend a hand.

Dick

Last edited by Mr Gadgets; 07-17-2002 at 08:46 AM.
Old 07-17-2002, 06:17 PM
Gone Fishin'
Charter Member

I picked up the transom assembly today. Thanks LRS!!!!!! I owe you. It's in good shape, just needs to have the tiller arm tightened up a little bit, but that's easy.

Target day for the swap is Friday. I think I'm gonna take a half day off work to work on it.
Old 07-17-2002, 06:48 PM
Charter Member #601
Charter Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Mike,
Glad to hear you found some parts.. now get it installed..

Good luck

Dick
Old 07-17-2002, 06:58 PM
Official OSO boat whore
Charter Member

Mike, this is INTOLLERABLE! I can NOT allow you to finish your boat and then break it twice before I've even had the chance to finish mine! Much less break it! If you get your boat back on the water before I do, then I'm going to have to come over there and get things ugly!
Old 07-17-2002, 07:00 PM
Gone Fishin'
Charter Member

Tim, just by coming over here you'd be making it ugly!! Ouch, below the belt with that one!!!!!

Oh, and where's my "love" from Dee?????

Quick Reply: Need some advice on gimbal ring install......

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.