Notices

Ipad Chart Plotters

Old 12-19-2012, 09:37 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Ipad Chart Plotters

Has anyone tried any of the chart plotter software available for the Ipad?

I have the wifi Ipad but want to purchase the "ELF" GPS module for it and the Navionics charts..

I like the idea of using an ipad because you can take it from boat to boat and you only have to get familiar with one system.

Has anyone had any experience with them? With the availability of satellite weather and all that, it seems like it would be a REALLY great setup! My new stereo system will be controlled via bluetooth on the ipad. So I can take it in the water with me and be able to change songs, volume, etc without leaving the water.

http://bad-elf.com/ GPS Module for IPAD

http://www.navionics.com/en/mobile-pc-app Chart App for IPAD

And of course the lifejacket to keep it dry!

Last edited by waterboy222; 12-19-2012 at 09:40 AM.
Old 12-19-2012, 10:36 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My thoughts EXACTLEY. I'll be watching close to see what you come up with.

Is the "chip" all you need to make the iPad into a navigation tool? What's the added benefit of the "hand held" Elf?

I actually thought the iPad was capable without any additional components.

Thanks for the info.
Old 12-19-2012, 11:01 AM
Registered

Received 26 Likes on 8 Posts

[QUOTE=waterboy222;3834336]Has anyone tried any of the chart plotter software available for the Ipad?

I have the wifi Ipad but want to purchase the "ELF" GPS module for it and the Navionics charts..

I like the idea of using an ipad because you can take it from boat to boat and you only have to get familiar with one system.

Has anyone had any experience with them? With the availability of satellite weather and all that, it seems like it would be a REALLY great setup! My new stereo system will be controlled via bluetooth on the ipad. So I can take it in the water with me and be able to change songs, volume, etc without leaving the water.

http://bad-elf.com/ GPS Module for IPAD

http://www.navionics.com/en/mobile-pc-app Chart App for IPAD

And of course the lifejacket to keep it dry![/QUOT

I have the iPad 3 with 4G wireless. It has the GPS built in and it will down load Google of Bing images on the go. It is great but hard to see in sunlight while boating especially at speed. I use Naviaonic HD App. There is a great waterproof hard case and mount from iPad Nav available from France or Canada which makes it very easy to yuse in the baoting environment. I use it in my 28 Skater during the summer and Duck boat during the winter.
Old 12-19-2012, 11:12 AM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

I use my IPAD 3G with Navionics and a lifeproof case. Navigated me several dark nights around lake cumberland
Old 12-19-2012, 03:56 PM
jrz
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have the iPad 3 with 4G wireless. It has the GPS built in and it will down load Google of Bing images on the go. It is great but hard to see in sunlight while boating especially at speed. I use Naviaonic HD App. There is a great waterproof hard case and mount from iPad Nav available from France or Canada which makes it very easy to yuse in the baoting environment. I use it in my 28 Skater during the summer and Duck boat during the winter.[/QUOTE]

Will it work with actual GPS satellights or use cell towers to find position?
Old 12-19-2012, 04:00 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by jrz
I have the iPad 3 with 4G wireless. It has the GPS built in and it will down load Google of Bing images on the go. It is great but hard to see in sunlight while boating especially at speed. I use Naviaonic HD App. There is a great waterproof hard case and mount from iPad Nav available from France or Canada which makes it very easy to yuse in the baoting environment. I use it in my 28 Skater during the summer and Duck boat during the winter.
Will it work with actual GPS satellights or use cell towers to find position?[/QUOTE]

Off the satellites. It is very accurate and responsive.
Old 12-19-2012, 07:33 PM
jrz
Registered

Originally Posted by skate
Will it work with actual GPS satellights or use cell towers to find position?
Off the satellites. It is very accurate and responsive.[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the reply, are you using the Bad-Elf GPS and will it fit in the case?
Old 12-19-2012, 07:41 PM
Banned

Who makes the orange case pictured
Old 12-19-2012, 08:52 PM
Registered

http://www.ipadnav.fr/

http://www.lifeproof.com/
Old 12-20-2012, 12:30 PM
Registered

Received 21 Likes on 10 Posts

I have also been using the Ipad 3 with Navionics. It works great, and no cell coverage needed. I have used it way off shore and it has performed flawlessly.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.