17.44%
Voters: 86. You may not vote on this poll

Bravo XR drive breakage

Old 12-21-2012, 11:55 AM
Registered

Received 26 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Smitty
Boatless--
To address your point- if I converted over to Arnesons or SCX's to eliminate problems,I would be spending 75% or more of the boats total value. You obviously missed the fact that I am headed towards having an option for the 1000's of bravo's out there today. So the way I look at it is with my parts, maybe your drive will last 3-5 times longer or may never break again for a reasonable amount of money.

And if you didn't want to attend the AA meeting, why did you open the door and walk in ????
like you and everyone else are not already spending that $ to date. you want to keep us on the drug of bravo repairs but its still a habit that is to expensive in this economy. look at the # of people that have had multiple failures. add up those cost and you see you'v spent a lot of $. if you don't want to spend 75% of the boats value, then get a more expensive boat and you won't cry about the cost of doing something right. you are reminding me of those commercials in the 60's "pay us a little now, or a LOT later". face it if you have bravos you are on borrowed time and this is before the boat even gets wet.
Old 12-21-2012, 12:04 PM
VIP Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Boatless

Why don't you please share with the rest of us, what boat you own and what power and drives ???

Oh and by the way, you clearly did not interpret my questions correctly in the first post. I don't care how much money YOU have spent on fixing your drives or how many people you know spent on drive repair etc.
Or your personal opinions on Bravo drives.

Please re-read post #1 and then go get on your soap box somewhere else.

Last edited by Smitty; 12-21-2012 at 12:11 PM.
Old 12-21-2012, 01:24 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks for the info...didn't realize the VI drive weighed that much more. How much of a pain is it to convert to VI? I know 1 of the checkmate guys put an extension box and VI on a 253...How involved is the switch? Just asking questions, and appreciate the info.
Old 12-21-2012, 01:39 PM
VIP Member

Geeter-
Most of the other drive setups require a transmission and a lot of boats are not set up for that...
Old 12-21-2012, 03:38 PM
Registered

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts

Smitty, good call on this thread. Thought about starting one last week on the same subject. Have buddies that have never had a problem with a bravo...mostly running stock power. I have a bmax waiting for my transom and personally think it is the most cost effective way to go with a tougher upper. The lowers seem to be a lot less to repair and are somewhat disposable. Maybe we will meet some day at hot boat wknd and share some stories of broken dreams.
Old 12-21-2012, 03:55 PM
Neno the mind boggler
VIP Member

Received 271 Likes on 96 Posts

The Donzi has had the original drives since new and their only HP Bravos which are just a standard drive with i think a heavier gimbal some kinda treated gear and low water pickups on the nose of the lower. That boat is 11.5K pounds dry with 525SC's so they can survive if handled properly. I wouldn't say its babied but it but it is run hard "properly". When i blew a drive a couple years ago it was kinda self inflicted, i had forgotten to check the top cap bolts as part of my oil change ritual and believe they were beginning to loosen from previous use, when i got back on the trailer that day that was the first thing i checked and sure enough they were finger tight. I think it either lost tolerance and/or let in water, i was not running hard at all we were on a lunch run to the Erie Islands and was just cruising along at thirty five hundred and she let go. That day has sense been known as the day we got a twenty five hundred dollar pizza
08 OPA High Points Champion
10 OPA Class 1 National Champion ( happy now Ed! )

Last edited by glassdave; 12-21-2012 at 03:57 PM.
Old 12-21-2012, 06:42 PM
Registered

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Couple things boys. I have a 1994 STD Bravo.. 500+ hours with a 454 mag. No problems. none, But no serious HP and high revs. However. The XR's problems are not in the gears. It's in the overall design specifically in the upper driveshaft. Some time ago (not sure when) merc changed the upper niddle bearings and also hardened the driveshaft etc. Now. You got more "niddles" in the bearing but less of them. Also the port wher the lube gets to the bearings and shaft is too small. So the niddles/bearing digs a groove in the shaft and stuff gets out of alignment, viboratin then failure. Merc. wont tell you this, but I have discussed this with merc racing staff and during some "casual" talks they will admit it. I am pissed at Merc also, so I have no reason to keep it out of the arena. I had great relatinship with Merc, untill the CMI issues. (old stuff). I had both the 525's XR drives upper shaft replaced, seen the problem but I cought it in time so no break downs, to date. Close. The gears are not an issue. Change the niddle bearing to the old style, if you can get them , machine the lube hole out to get more oil in the bearing and shaft areas and the XR will last longer. (unless you bolt on some 850 HP crazy stuff. I will see if I can dig up the driveshaft pictures one of these days. But at the end of the day, it's called planned obsolesance, faulty parts, designs, more new parts and service sales. Merc's integrity is gone long ago.
Old 12-21-2012, 07:57 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by PARADOX
Couple things boys. I have a 1994 STD Bravo.. 500+ hours with a 454 mag. No problems. none, But no serious HP and high revs. However. The XR's problems are not in the gears. It's in the overall design specifically in the upper driveshaft. Some time ago (not sure when) merc changed the upper niddle bearings and also hardened the driveshaft etc. Now. You got more "niddles" in the bearing but less of them. Also the port wher the lube gets to the bearings and shaft is too small. So the niddles/bearing digs a groove in the shaft and stuff gets out of alignment, viboratin then failure. Merc. wont tell you this, but I have discussed this with merc racing staff and during some "casual" talks they will admit it. I am pissed at Merc also, so I have no reason to keep it out of the arena. I had great relatinship with Merc, untill the CMI issues. (old stuff). I had both the 525's XR drives upper shaft replaced, seen the problem but I cought it in time so no break downs, to date. Close. The gears are not an issue. Change the niddle bearing to the old style, if you can get them , machine the lube hole out to get more oil in the bearing and shaft areas and the XR will last longer. (unless you bolt on some 850 HP crazy stuff. I will see if I can dig up the driveshaft pictures one of these days. But at the end of the day, it's called planned obsolesance, faulty parts, designs, more new parts and service sales. Merc's integrity is gone long ago.
interesting...harley is pulling the same obsol. trick on us...
first time i hear about the bearing issue,but it does make sense,as i witness the same situation with HD every day,and they wont fix it!
Old 12-21-2012, 07:57 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Jeff P31
I think you will find that most of us do not have the room it takes to install 6's . And even if you had the room the weight of the 6's would not work well in most of the boats we are talking about here. Just my .02
And don't think for a minute that 6's don't break
6's very seldom break, and with 600-850hp you wont have to worry about any problems as long as you keep the oil changed. Bravos simply will not hold up period,
Old 12-21-2012, 08:57 PM
Neno the mind boggler
VIP Member

Received 271 Likes on 96 Posts

Again this is all because marketing takes precidance over engineering, pretty much standard practice these days. Its also worth noting nearly all CEO's of just about all major companies like these are out of marketing as well.

Originally Posted by pqjack
interesting...harley is pulling the same obsol. trick on us...
first time i hear about the bearing issue,but it does make sense,as i witness the same situation with HD every day,and they wont fix it!
Originally Posted by PARADOX
08 OPA High Points Champion
10 OPA Class 1 National Champion ( happy now Ed! )

Last edited by glassdave; 12-21-2012 at 09:02 PM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.