82.56%
Broke lower gear set
17.44%
Voters: 86. You may not vote on this poll

Bravo XR drive breakage

Old 12-23-2012, 06:45 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I dont even want to take it out anymore as I broke 3 maybe 4 times the upper's and crap ends up trashing lowers, to upgrade to anything else is a total waste since the boats value is less than a 1/3 of what it cost to put it together. I think the original Bravos were stronger than the XR's and faster too. If you drive it like it's a pimp mobile they work but anything over 5 g rpm's your asking for it.
Old 12-23-2012, 08:29 AM
Registered

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by copiercat
I dont even want to take it out anymore as I broke 3 maybe 4 times the upper's and crap ends up trashing lowers, to upgrade to anything else is a total waste since the boats value is less than a 1/3 of what it cost to put it together. I think the original Bravos were stronger than the XR's and faster too. If you drive it like it's a pimp mobile they work but anything over 5 g rpm's your asking for it.
Makes your STV seem like an economy boat, doesn't it.
Old 12-23-2012, 08:38 AM
Registered

Received 885 Likes on 480 Posts

My buddy bought the original OSO Top Gun and put 300+ hard hours on it without a single issue (headers nor drives, 525/XR boat). He always felt the standard length XRs were better than the shorties for durability. Drives came off the boat at 275 hours for service and I think at that point they got swapped when put back on (swapped as in rotated).
Old 12-23-2012, 08:54 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by JRider
Makes your STV seem like an economy boat, doesn't it.
Yea, but the 22 Talon I run now with the 300 XS is even better, that thing makes gas and at 100 plus..
Old 12-23-2012, 02:08 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 224 Likes on 129 Posts

Originally Posted by PARADOX
Couple things boys. I have a 1994 STD Bravo.. 500+ hours with a 454 mag. No problems. none, But no serious HP and high revs. However. The XR's problems are not in the gears. It's in the overall design specifically in the upper driveshaft. Some time ago (not sure when) merc changed the upper niddle bearings and also hardened the driveshaft etc. Now. You got more "niddles" in the bearing but less of them. Also the port wher the lube gets to the bearings and shaft is too small. So the niddles/bearing digs a groove in the shaft and stuff gets out of alignment, viboratin then failure. Merc. wont tell you this, but I have discussed this with merc racing staff and during some "casual" talks they will admit it. I am pissed at Merc also, so I have no reason to keep it out of the arena. I had great relatinship with Merc, untill the CMI issues. (old stuff). I had both the 525's XR drives upper shaft replaced, seen the problem but I cought it in time so no break downs, to date. Close. The gears are not an issue. Change the niddle bearing to the old style, if you can get them , machine the lube hole out to get more oil in the bearing and shaft areas and the XR will last longer. (unless you bolt on some 850 HP crazy stuff. I will see if I can dig up the driveshaft pictures one of these days. But at the end of the day, it's called planned obsolesance, faulty parts, designs, more new parts and service sales. Merc's integrity is gone long ago.
The new bearings are a caged bearing ( less needles)
the older bearings are needle bearings( more needles)

You can still get the needle bearings....I use the needle
bearings whenever I'm into one.

I think that I've only had 1 or 2 clutch shafts that had issues,
but I've dealt with about every scenereo of upper gear
failure multiple times, and these were behind 575's and below.
Old 12-23-2012, 05:40 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 866 Likes on 325 Posts

Originally Posted by JaayTeee
The new bearings are a caged bearing ( less needles)
the older bearings are needle bearings( more needles)

You can still get the needle bearings....I use the needle
bearings whenever I'm into one.

I think that I've only had 1 or 2 clutch shafts that had issues,
but I've dealt with about every scenereo of upper gear
failure multiple times, and these were behind 575's and below.
Yeah, but you have 5 blades. There is a red sticker on the right hand side of your drive that says "Not For Use With 5 Blade Props"

Whose fault is that?
Old 12-23-2012, 06:25 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Smitty,
My ITS XR drives are with Mr Gagets. I just sent them to him to refresh before they break again. he found that 1 upper gear set was pitting. Are you going to have your new gears ready any time soon?
Old 12-24-2012, 11:55 AM
VIP Member

TROPER

At this time, looking at 6-1-2013 release date. No guarantees on that date....
Old 12-24-2012, 10:48 PM
Registered

I had a B1 behind 454 mag 365HP, over 500 hours when gas was cheap, no problems. With that power they will survive. I had a friend with a B1 behind a 550 HP blower motor in a 251 checkmate. The only problem he had is he broke a gimbel ring. That boat was at LOTO and was ran extremely hard, ALWAYS. It was in the air more than the water. He was excellent at working the throttle and never had any gear problems with over 600 hours. Light boat, moderate HP, and a driver that knows the stick(s) they will be fine. It seems like alot of people worry about extra HP but don't worry about the drive...til it breaks, then we complain. I don't see any hot rod cars with stock rear ends. They get something stronger.
Old 12-24-2012, 10:49 PM
Registered

You guys will buy a 1 ton diesel truck to pull a 5000 pound boat then you put 1000HP in front of a B1. Kind of a** backwards.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.