Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Why are high performance boats so expensive! >

Why are high performance boats so expensive!

Notices

Why are high performance boats so expensive!

Old 12-21-2012, 10:26 AM
Registered
Gold Member
Platinum Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Pick up a copy of National Dragster and take a look at the prices for parts, race cars and big horse power engines. Looks like bargain basement prices compared to Marine stuff.

I know that's its not a cut and dry comparison, but the difference in cost does seem to be rather large.

As a 10 year old, I recall my Dad dragging me (ok I really liked it) to the marine hardware store and complaining about how everything was double what he thought it should be, so it must be OK, because it has always been that way

IMO, "supply and demand" and "market size" is the reason why.
Old 12-21-2012, 10:32 AM
Registered

Received 29 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by pullmytrigger
you could sell it to me....I hate Mercury. It would be interesting to see a dealer have two identical boats side by side on his sales floor, one with Merc power and one with aftermarket and see the buyers reaction when they see the price difference. Aftermarket companies need to sell/advertise more eng/drive "packages" and advertise the savings more in the media. That's the only way prices will ever come down. Anyone have a guess to what the diff would be with two 525 packages?
Lets say you buy that boat with "aftermarket power". A few months later it is Saturday morning poker run and you broke a 100 dollar part. Good chance that the merc part can be found and get you on your way, slim chance with anything else.

I think the merc pricing is crazy as well, but to keep me going on a weekend using parts found at a local dealer is priceless.
Old 12-21-2012, 10:47 AM
Registered

I think most manufacturers, especially Mercury,are following P.T. Barnum's principle
Old 12-21-2012, 11:07 AM
Registered

Received 29 Likes on 11 Posts

I sometimes think about getting a new Sunsation. Then I think about the things I don't like about my boat and I realize I could have them changed now and save myself $200k.

When I hear about the 05 prices for a Dominator, I would definitely buy a new one. But since then, hell no. Crazy money. I understand though, they would rather build one boat then tie up the shop with three or four for less money individually. They probably make the same selling one boat.
Old 12-21-2012, 02:37 PM
tgi
Registered

The simple answer:

Every vendor in the marine supply chain wants to maintain their fat margins. (It's why all those lovely manufactures went tits up)

The "custom" builders pass the hot potato to the "rich buyer" who then bears the lovely depreciation curve where it will literally make a rich man cry.

With volume drying up it further exacerbates their margin issues.

The future of boat manufacturing? First the entire industry needs to be cleansed then capital formation can take place with a sustainable strategy
Old 12-21-2012, 03:36 PM
Beak botr
VIP Member

Because they can be
Old 12-21-2012, 04:01 PM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

I am new to reading this post and have not read all but my 2 cents worth and question is, if a 30 foot boat with minimal power costs 150,000 and you go up to 38 feet with same power, why is it 50,000 dollars more for 8 feet of fiberglass and some extra wire, a little carpet and maybe a longer couch. Go up to 42 feet and the cost rises another 100,000 dollars. I just do not get it. I understand power upgrades but price really goes up with length.
Old 12-21-2012, 06:27 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by cigrocket
Fact is, less then 1% of the boats registered in the us are performance boats. Its a special, one off, custom product. If you want one, it will cost. Unique items are always expensive, then you add the fact that they are performance based and the cost goes up 10 fold. HP costs money, how fast do you want to go......lol
I hear ya, seems like everyone runs the same power, drives etc in these bosts, how ae thy one offs? Paint ?

Rick
Old 12-21-2012, 06:29 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Originally Posted by blefever
Pick up a copy of National Dragster and take a look at the prices for parts, race cars and big horse power engines. Looks like bargain basement prices compared to Marine stuff.

I know that's its not a cut and dry comparison, but the difference in cost does seem to be rather large.

As a 10 year old, I recall my Dad dragging me (ok I really liked it) to the marine hardware store and complaining about how everything was double what he thought it should be, so it must be OK, because it has always been that way

IMO, "supply and demand" and "market size" is the reason why.
Exactly, my bro n law races top ful dragster, and top alcohol sand dragster, nowhere near the same in cost!

Rick
Old 12-21-2012, 06:35 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Originally Posted by Roger
I am new to reading this post and have not read all but my 2 cents worth and question is, if a 30 foot boat with minimal power costs 150,000 and you go up to 38 feet with same power, why is it 50,000 dollars more for 8 feet of fiberglass and some extra wire, a little carpet and maybe a longer couch. Go up to 42 feet and the cost rises another 100,000 dollars. I just do not get it. I understand power upgrades but price really goes up with length.
My thoughts too... Where does the price tag come from?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.