Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Need some advice on gimbal ring install...... >

Need some advice on gimbal ring install......

Notices

Need some advice on gimbal ring install......

Old 07-16-2002, 08:07 PM
Gone Fishin'
Charter Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need some advice on gimbal ring install......

I have the opportunity to get a transom assembly pretty cheap. Going to look at it tomorrow. So, would you take the gimbal ring out and replace the broken one (drilling the holes in the housing, etc...), or would you lift the motor off the mounts high enough to undo the nuts and replace the entire transom assembly?? Mind you, I would be replacing only the outer assembly. The unit in question even has a new gimbal bearing in it, mine has 7 seasons on it.

Personally, I am leaning towards llifting the motor and changing the whole assembly.

What do you guys think????

Mike
Old 07-16-2002, 08:19 PM
Registered

I think between your broken parts and mine, we could create a nice piece of art and sell it for a bundle of dough
Old 07-16-2002, 08:22 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

pull the mill.if somethings worth doin,its worth doing right.well,thats what my momma always told me
Old 07-16-2002, 08:23 PM
VIP Member

Mike,
Change the whole thing out. You don't need to be drillin' holes etc.

Dave
Old 07-16-2002, 08:44 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

i agree mike if it is better then the one you have, change out, less work in the long run. when you plan on doing this? this weekend, i finally have sat-sun off if you need help let me know.
Old 07-16-2002, 08:55 PM
Charter Member #1171
Charter Member

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

Pull the motor,, if you prep right and get the help youve been offered already,, its a day project,,, you'll be able to trust your repair and wont have to look at the plastic plugs in your transom forever !!!
Old 07-16-2002, 09:13 PM
Registered

Pull the motor and put in a TURBINE. No need for that old fashion Bravo Drive. T55 w/3200hp should get you well over 120mph
Old 07-16-2002, 09:57 PM
Registered

Pull the motor, theres a couple gaskets you will need and be real careful torquing the stupid plastic water elbow.
Old 07-16-2002, 10:02 PM
Gone Fishin'
Charter Member

Hardest part is going to be finding a hi-lo I can use for several hours without interuption. I don't want to take the motor completely out of the boat (that's a real pain in the ass), just high enough to get at the transom assembly.

Mitch, I've already had to re-tap one of those bolt holes for the elbow. bolt broke off the last time I had to take the assembly off. Used anti-sieze on em. Should be no problem.

Scooter, I'll let you know if I need a hand this weekend. Gotta make some calls tomorrow and see if I can get a hi-lo for a while.

How many gaskets and seals do I need?? One on the transom I'm sure, but what else??
Old 07-16-2002, 10:06 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

let me know open fri night and sat all day, have to golf with inlaw sun at 12:00 am other then that I'm there for ya

Quick Reply: Need some advice on gimbal ring install......

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.