Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Zyban (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/29001-zyban.html)

Consintracy 07-18-2002 06:48 AM

Zyban

One thing bad, about Zyban....YOU CAN'T FRICKEN SLEEP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Here I am...awake again...AAaaaaarrrgggghhh! But, I guess it's worth it...If I couldn't sleep when I smoked, I'd get up, smoke a cigarette (which would lower my blood-flow) and fall back to sleep...(and the smoke would just sit there in my lungs as I weezed myself to REM).
Hmmmm...I guess I'm glad I'm awake!!:)

Erie Desire 07-18-2002 07:25 AM

Keep up the good work. Never quit quitting.

hp500efi 07-18-2002 07:40 AM

Tracy, I give you credit for trying to stop smoking. That is one habit I am glad I never took up.

I would much rather wake up early or not fall asleep than to grab another smoke.

Keep up the good work.

Wildfire 07-18-2002 07:57 AM

You can do it!

Never tried the zyban myself, had a friend that did. You should be happy all the time now - that stuff was originally developed as an anti-depressant.

More happy pills sir?

jafo 07-18-2002 08:12 AM

Tracy-
That's one of the bad side effects- I've had trouble sleeping as well with this stuff. The doc gave me 1/2 dose prescrip this try and will bring me up to full dose a little at a time to try and prevent the sleeplessness (and headaches I get it from it too).
Sacrificing a little sleep will be worth it in the end if it works this time!:)
Good Luck!
Jim

Bill272 07-18-2002 09:18 AM

What Jafo said. Talk to your doctor about having the strength adjusted. Watch for other side effects also--some people can't eat. A friend of ours was on it and would get hammered with just one beer.

Consintracy 07-18-2002 10:32 AM

HARD habit to break, that's for sure!!! From what I hear, the urge's never completly go away:(
This is probably my (for sure 4th) 5th refill. At $107/bottle:eek:
but, it's worth it to me!! I think I have the strongest of the 2...150mg.- btw...there are 60 tablets/bottle. So yeah, that's still ALOT cheaper than smoking!!!
I only take 1 pill/day now in the morning (from the recommended 2). This is for 2 reason's 1) CHEAPER!!! 2) sleep a little better
However, if I know that I'll be having cocktails I'll definetly take another one in the early evening. But, don't get me wrong...IT'S STILL HARD!! But, when you really think about it...it's ALOT easier than not taking Zyban!!!!!!!!! If you plan on taking Zyban-try to stay away from the alcohol, because the 2 (cig's & alchol) go together WAY to well!!!!
I'm glad I'm on it & would not have a problem paying for the prescription for the rest of my life if I have too!!!!! Because, I know how hard it is to quit!!!!!
Tracy:D

blackhawk 07-18-2002 10:41 AM

I quit using Zyban when it first came out about 4 years ago. It does work but it takes time. I also could not sleep if I took 2 pills a day so I started taking one a day about mid-morning. A couple friends of mine quit using the generic of Wellbutrin. I guess it's basically the same thing but a lot cheaper.

My worst cravings were that first cup of coffee in the morning and after about 4 or 5 cocktails. But the cravings will go 100% away. It took me about a year for my cravings were totally gone. Now I can't stand the smell of them!

G-Force 07-18-2002 10:52 AM

Good for you young lady! I'm glad you've decided to kick the habit. I wish you luck in quitting...:D

Consintracy 07-18-2002 11:17 AM

Thanks G-Force & to everyone else that has wished me luck.:)
blackhawk~ That's nice to hear, that the cravings do eventually go away!!! Thanks!!! (It is getting ALOT easier so, I can't wait for the day when I'm completly FREE!!)
The only way Wellbutrin is cheaper...is if you have insurance and you tell your doctor it's for depression (then it's covered under your insurance-because, insurance co. won't cover people who are trying to kick the habit or some $hit-go figure?!?!) But, then your medical records will show that you are a depressed person which, (I would think) could hurt you if for some reason your medical records needed to be released for a job or something (not sure, can they do that?). But, from what I hear, There are ALOT of people on anti-depressants. Someone in the perscription industry told me, it's the #1 type of prescription given out!!! Kinda' scary in a way!! But, not saying that's all together a bad either, because there are alot of things in this world to get a person depressed!!!

It's funny now...when I am shopping (or even worse-sitting in a movie theater) and I'm next to someone who's a smoker...I CAN'T STAND IT!!! OMG...they stink...and that's what I used to smell like!!!! :eek:

As for the eatting thing...Hmmmm never really thought about whether or not I have eatten less (even though that was a HUGE thing that, I thought about when I thought about quitting smoking). But, when I look at pic's of me from 1yr ago. (and other people can tell a noticable difference too) I know I've lost weight!!! But, there's alot of different factors in there...biggest factor...I don't drink alcohol like I used to!!!! So, anyone who's thinking about taking Zyban to quit smoking..."I" don't think weight gain should be a factor in your decision to quit!!!

SORRY TO KEEP RAMBLING...BUT, IF I CAN HELP ATLEAST 1 PERSON MAKE THE DECISION TO QUIT SMOKING-MY RAMBLING WILL BE WORTH IT!!!

Tracy:)