Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
I want to Buy/Build an Endurance boat that can be containerised >

I want to Buy/Build an Endurance boat that can be containerised

Notices

I want to Buy/Build an Endurance boat that can be containerised

Old 01-15-2013, 10:06 AM
Registered

Received 73 Likes on 33 Posts

Sunseeker XS2000. Trimax drives, so you don't have the drives adding to the length. Two speed trannys with diesels.

LOA: 38.92 feet
Beam: 7.67 feet
Displacement: 4990 kilogram

http://www.boatingmag.com/sunseeker-xs-2000-bring-it

Last edited by pasquesi; 01-15-2013 at 10:30 AM.
Old 01-15-2013, 11:25 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by pasquesi
Sunseeker XS2000. Trimax drives, so you don't have the drives adding to the length. Two speed trannys with diesels.

Thanks. The S2000 is a collaboration between Buzzi and Sunseeker.

It is, essentially, this FBDesign http://fbdesign.it/a38stab.php in Sunseeker livery.

Sweeet boat.
Old 01-15-2013, 01:17 PM
Registered

Received 568 Likes on 340 Posts

Originally Posted by pasquesi

http://www.boatingmag.com/sunseeker-xs-2000-bring-it
I think trimax's and transmissions are the way to go. It seems like a much simpler more reliable solution to me.
Old 01-15-2013, 01:47 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by goatskin
Thanks. The S2000 is a collaboration between Buzzi and Sunseeker.

It is, essentially, this FBDesign http://fbdesign.it/a38stab.php in Sunseeker livery.

Sweeet boat.
There are some for sale in the UK. But do a real testrun in racingconditions first.
They are "interesting" to drive...
And the ZF 115 gearboxes are fragile when racing.
Old 01-15-2013, 02:13 PM
Registered

Received 568 Likes on 340 Posts

Originally Posted by 7075T6
There are some for sale in the UK. But do a real testrun in racingconditions first.
They are "interesting" to drive...
And the ZF 115 gearboxes are fragile when racing.
The buzzi's look like they rock side to side really badly.
Old 01-15-2013, 02:30 PM
Registered

Received 15 Likes on 8 Posts

Money NOT being an object, I would check the rules for what the smaller classes are there fit into there, they would be easier to dominate. I would then go check for all the distance records there are ie Miami-Nassau-Miami, Key West - Cancun, NY-Bermuda, etc and see if I can get records in these events for 1) diesel power & 2) under 30'.

The problem in my mind with larger boats and classes is it's too easy for someone with enough cubic dollars to always out $ you and get bigger and faster. If you can stay with a "class" or a guideline that is not unlimited then you can set records, win events where your name will last for many years to come!

After all isn't this how the whole post started with a - "hey, I'm getting lots of money and I want to go play offshore and prove something, show people I can kick their ass"

With that being said - I would go to OL built a 29 to run with a surface drive, the Areneson is fine. I ran the trimax, good drive but doesn't steer and with a single you need to steer and I think the Areneson trim would help as well in a single engine.

I'd go Cummins power probably the 8.3L at a base of 600hp, that can go 800 hp all day with little effort and in a small light boat would not work hard at all.

No multispeed trans, the Arneson can have the step-up gears in them so you have OD, no need to makes things complex. With a good vent tube where you can divert exhaust to it when getting on plane and a large forward ballast tank the boat will come up on plane, it's not a drag race. Use a crash style box tranny that is pressurized either with engine oil or separate engine driven oil pump. I like feeding the tranny with engine oil because those oil pumps always run, if they fail you loose the engine away so the boat is not going anywhere anyway!

Last edited by HabanaJoe; 01-15-2013 at 02:50 PM.
Old 01-15-2013, 07:00 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by HabanaJoe
Money NOT being an object, I would check the rules for what the smaller classes are there fit into there, they would be easier to dominate. ...

After all isn't this how the whole post started with a - "hey, I'm getting lots of money and I want to go play offshore and prove something, show people I can kick their ass"
Well, yes. (kinda-sorta anyhow)

The professional teams: sponsored, prepared, funded, staffed ... don't always win, true, but that's the risk-off way to bet.

Cubic volume of £ aside, that's not my interest.

I'm not building a RACE BOAT per se ... The toy I want has to be a purpose-built endurance boat: travels easily, that I can run in 'small craft warning' weather and seas and CAN run in A-B races or marathons.

(Yes, I am fully endorsing the "gentleman-racer" mindset.)

Taking a fun fast float on Friday to France for froglegs and flanby is something that will happen. CTC, or Venice-Montecarlo, Bimini or Long Island may/may not.

It's the same boat, campaigned or not, the principal difference being: upholstery and carpet ... or not.

With that being said - I would go to OL built a 29 to run with a surface drive, the Areneson is fine....

I'd go Cummins power probably the 8.3L at a base of 600hp, that can go 800 hp all day with little effort and in a small light boat would not work hard at all.

No multispeed trans, ... OD, no need to makes things complex. With a good vent tube where you can divert exhaust to it when getting on plane and a large forward ballast tank the boat will come up on plane ... a crash style box tranny that is pressurized either with engine oil ... those oil pumps always run, ...
<great minds>
Runs flat, flies flat, slices tops as opposed to slams through, known & scheduled maintenance issues ... sounds good.

OL is a non-starter, but Will Smith's 38' Phantom (which won CTC in 2012, btw), Cookee's BananaShark, Buzzi 39Rib ... hmmm

In seas, size matters, and 40' is better than 30', esp with ass-gear stuck out, as you are loosing 4-5' of wetted surface with a surface-drive, regardless of brand name & design quirks.

The big single is an interesting idea, on several levels, and there are several good 800-1500hp cast-iron engines out there.

Hmmm .... 10,000# dry boat, 4,000# of fuel & bodies, 1,500ft-lbs of torque ... 6' seas, 60kts. Yeah, that might work.

Last edited by goatskin; 01-15-2013 at 07:19 PM.
Old 01-15-2013, 07:02 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by korvetkeith
The buzzi's look like they rock side to side really badly.
They really don't.

They corner and turn badly and skid like crazy, tho.
Old 01-16-2013, 03:27 AM
Registered

I too think the container idea is brilliant! As you said, no cheaper, easier way to move something around the world. Roll-on, roll-off is MUCH more expensive.

Maybe you could have a custom trailer built that would slide into the containter. So, wherever you go you have a way to move the boat around easily. The tires would then provide a little cushion for any big shocks that might happen during container loading.

Also, customize your trailer with some lock-boxes to store any gear you don't want being transported in your boat. Similarly, you could have some lockers welded into your container for the same purpose.

Boat in a box....interesting idea!
Old 01-24-2013, 07:28 AM
T2x
Allergic to Nonsense
Platinum Member

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

I'm not sure of the Beam on Peter Hledin's Skater Vee, but it's close and his team are masters with a sawzall and custom decking, etc. so that would be my first choice......

The most practical design would be a RIB as previously suggested and, of course, Fabio is the leader in that field and he will keep you rolling on the floor during the process (not a bad thing really). His tri max drives are basically bulletproof so service there is not an issue and Yanmars enjoy a robust service network....

In the end if I had FU money to spend, I would cultivate entertaining friendships and throw in a little project money with various existing long distance empresarios ( Bob the Builder, Stu Hayim, Fabio's Euro trash, etc) and hitch rides on their adventures. The beauty of that is after the event you can walk away from the wreckage with no entanglements and no need to worry about the boat's beam or transit requirements.