Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Benefits of US Coast Guard Documented boat over state titled/registered? >

Benefits of US Coast Guard Documented boat over state titled/registered?

Notices

Benefits of US Coast Guard Documented boat over state titled/registered?

Old 01-16-2013, 10:27 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have never had an issue in either Virginia or Florida with my documentation. I thought a lack of numbers might result in getting stopped more often. I do not have any kind of Florida sticker on my boat although my hailing port is Chicago, IL so I always can say I am just visiting. I have been stopped on a couple occasions for random inspection and have never been asked about registration. My boat was already documented by the previous owner and it was a very simple paperwork drill to swap owner information. I love the clean look of no numbers and never paid taxes after purchase!

CG documentation gets my vote!
Old 01-16-2013, 10:40 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 866 Likes on 325 Posts

South Florida they will hound you and harass you till you get FL numbers.

I tried all the excuses:
Only here part of the year
Dont use it here
I move around a lot
Have houses in 2 states

They work one time each, till they see you 3 weekends in a row. Then they make your life difficult and insist you go get FL registration. I like to go to dinner and stop a a bar or two on Friday evenings so it wasnt worth the risk anymore.
Old 01-16-2013, 11:00 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

My leinholder required CG documentation, it's free and I never thought much about it and I registered in my state as I had always done for previous boats. When I had the boat surveyed for my Ins. the surveyor was totally impressed that it was documented. I later found other owners that were documented and not state registered and found they were hassled nearly every trip on the Chesapeake. No reg. #'s just gives them a reason to stop you and give you the once over. For 30 bucks a year I can deal with some #'s on my boat to avoid the hassle. I will say that when I have been checked by DNR or CG where I boat that they are very respectful of your paint, gelcoat, etc.

Last edited by RAPTOR1; 01-16-2013 at 11:18 PM.
Old 01-16-2013, 11:35 PM
Charter Member #232
Charter Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I asked the guy to take them off once and he was cool about it. I actually asked him if he minded and said that I would really appreciate it. He just said to bring him everything he asked for.
Old 01-17-2013, 03:01 AM
Registered

Received 234 Likes on 81 Posts

I think that I'm just going to title/register it with the state so I don't have any problems. The sheriffs where I boat seem to look for a reason to pull you over on a busy weekend
Old 01-17-2013, 05:52 AM
Registered

Received 40 Likes on 22 Posts

I have my boat documented. I think knowing you have a clean title is a big advantage to both buyer and seller in a transaction. Selling or buying a boat out of state has always been somewhat of a hassle with the many differences between states in their laws on boat titling, transfers, and taxes. In Kentucky, we have to pay property tax on vehicles and boats. Documented boats also must pay tangible property tax, which some get away with not paying. I pay it and it's not all that much. I have never been stopped, the officers both State and CG know the law well. I have been given a couple of courtesy inspections by the Coast Guard in the marinas. Mainly they wanted to look at the boat and talk about it. Our law enforcement here is very good.
Old 01-17-2013, 05:58 AM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 569 Likes on 262 Posts

We were on Bever lake in Ark several yrs ago, a poontoon flipped over while we were at dock. Fire Rescue guys asked for ride out, I said no problem, remove boots. they did.
Sheriff shows up and wants to go also, I ask " remove boots " he looks at me, sees the beer in the holder, says "I will stay here, cause I would have to write you up."
Fire guys push me off, then go on to tell me He is a D*** and probably will write me up later if he sees us.
Luckliy we were staying at another marina!
Old 01-17-2013, 06:07 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by tcwcar
thats one thing I'd like to know, did anybody here ever ask the boarding officer to remove his boots before he boarded, and what happened....
I asked and was told no as three officers boarded my boat. They also didn't seem to mind their black rib banging and rubbing on my new boat or paint. They are out there to do a job and I can respect that. Would you ask a cop to remove their shoes before he walks into your home?
Old 01-17-2013, 06:25 AM
Registered

Received 1,310 Likes on 731 Posts

When I bought my boat it was documented and I was living in Indiana. In Indiana this keeps you from paying sales tax (7% at the time), but you still have to register it.
You do not have to put numbers on the bow, just the little state sticker.

I ran it like this for a few years never was pulled over on our local lake, the Ohio river, lake Cumberland, or Dale hollow.

I did put them on when I was getting my safety inspection and the guy did not know the law.

When I moved to FL they said I have to register it and run the small sticker, but did not even give me a reg number. I don't have the registration in front of me but I have looked at it and it doesn't even give me a number, it just says something like CGD.

Because the back of the boat has nowhere that I can get 4" high letters on it I do have the name where the numbers would be (never bothered in Indiana),,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, not sure about getting pulled over it has never been in the water yet.

That is another story though.

BTW

Skidoc is right about KY, they sent me something a few years after I purchased my boat looking for their tax money, the first owner never told him he had sold it. I am the 3rd owner.
Old 01-17-2013, 06:38 AM
dcb
Registered
Platinum Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by POWERPLAY J
I asked and was told no as three officers boarded my boat. They also didn't seem to mind their black rib banging and rubbing on my new boat or paint. They are out there to do a job and I can respect that. Would you ask a cop to remove their shoes before he walks into your home?
I would if he was walking on my furniture!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.