Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Benefits of US Coast Guard Documented boat over state titled/registered? (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/290231-benefits-us-coast-guard-documented-boat-over-state-titled-registered.html)

Drock78 01-16-2013 06:18 PM

Benefits of US Coast Guard Documented boat over state titled/registered?

what are the pros and cons?

tomtbone1993 01-16-2013 06:22 PM

Pros

Standard paperwork
1) lien release
2) bill of sale
3) renewal is very easy
4) boat is stolen its the feds responsibilty to find it

Cons
1) Takes awhile if never documented before.
2) You have to use their documents not home made documents
3) Feds can take your boat durning a war

I only document my boats, that are size worthy

ROB FREEMAN 01-16-2013 06:26 PM

neg . no stickers on youre boat subject to being hurassed . looking for registration time n time again . better not drink

tomtbone1993 01-16-2013 06:28 PM

Originally Posted by ROB FREEMAN (Post 3850169)
neg . no stickers on youre boat subject to being hurassed . looking for registration time n time again . better not drink

In Texas we still have to get the sticker but no numbers, never fails always getting pulled over to confirm the boat is documented....

Drock78 01-16-2013 06:28 PM

Mine is only 28'. In Michigan boats are titled and have a spot on them for lien holder, release of lien. Its already documented with the last owner but thinking of just going with a state title.

tomtbone1993 01-16-2013 06:30 PM

Originally Posted by Drock78 (Post 3850173)
Mine is only 28'. In Michigan boats are titled and have a spot on them for lien holder, release of lien. Its already documented with the last owner but thinking of just going with a state title.

If it is already documented it is very easy to transfer ownership. Just use the Coast Guard Bill of Sale off their website.

Drock78 01-16-2013 06:31 PM

Originally Posted by tomtbone1993 (Post 3850172)
In Texas we still have to get the sticker but no numbers, never fails always getting pulled over to confirm the boat is documented....

those are my thoughts exactly! where i boat majority of the time, they are very eager to pullover boats and i would rather not give them a reason

smokin' gun 01-16-2013 06:55 PM

very true. years ago my buds documented theres so no more ##s on the bow coast guard pulled them both over .i warned them about it from that day on they were always relutant to drink on the boat . no #s are just askin for trouble

seafordguy 01-16-2013 07:02 PM

Where I am I have found the opposite to be true - documented boats are LESS likely to get pulled. In fact I live close to a coast guard training facility and I have never been stopped in my CIG. Local Marine Patrol and CG have on occasion pulled through our raft up and NEVER given me one minute of attention where as the registered boats get plenty. Gone blasting past the CG and MP LOTS of times and never gotten anything but a wave, even when they are obviously out doing boardings.

I honestly think they figure if I have the sophistication level to run a documented boat and fill it with a thousand dollars worth of fuel, that I have sprung the 9 bucks for flares, and am carrying the pre-requisite orange life vests.

Another Pro is depending on your state you MIGHT get away with not paying sales tax if they don't put it all together.