Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Involved discussion on finances and plans to purchase boats (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/29032-involved-discussion-finances-plans-purchase-boats.html)

SR-24 07-19-2002 12:31 PM

I think h2owarrior and TOO OLD said it best.

ChrisK 07-19-2002 06:58 PM

people give you gas money? dang I think I need to get some new friends....:eek: I am always the first to give 30-40 bucks at LEAST to whomever I am with for gas, I know how it feels to goto the gas pump and just watch it go buy. I only have a single 7.4 in the boat and a 8.1 in the truck. Needless to say the people at the station love me whe i pull in. I never knew how many pumps have auto-shut offs at $50 either!

NASTY HABIT 07-19-2002 07:16 PM

Hey Chrisk ... another Orlandoan ...not many of them here.

Shooter 07-19-2002 07:33 PM

Don't do this to me...

I'm looking to upgrade and get twins

Yikes... the reason would surprise you. My wife would enjoy boating more. Right - She can't take the pounding and wants a head (bathroom). Women need some "turf" everywhre they go....

We just came out of the debt consolidation phase, Have a house on the water and no debt other than the house and usual carlease/bills bull****. I'm in tech so it lloks like I survived. Only 37 so I'm somewhere in the middle where I should be. A couple good econmy years should do the Trick (I'll finally pull some decent bonuses).

Intolerant1 07-19-2002 07:43 PM

My wife and I just spent twp weeks with our dog and 15year old neice on a 10 year old 26' boat. I drooled over every 30+ foot performance boat I saw. We make good money, have a small house that costs us $1200 a month, no credit card bills, one $400 car payment and $200 for the boat which should be paid for by this time next year. I would love to jump up to a 30ish footer as we overnight on ours alot. Even buying used I would be looking at a minimum $45,000 over our boat. For that I would get a nicer ride, a little speed, twice the fuel bills, and a fridge/microwave. Thats a tough deal to swallow. I am amazed the manufacturers can sell boats at all in this economy. Instead we have decided to spend some money on paint/graphics and this winter if the motor leaks down tight, shes getting square port heads, exhuast, cam etc. I get the price on paint tonight. Hoping its reasonable. This is the best thread I have read in a long time. I think alot of people are way to far in debt for my comfort.

PS. This is our first boat. 3 years ago we started looking in the 10K range. Everything was junk. We bought our 92 Liberator for 19.5K and I have a hard time justifying that for 4 months of occasional use.

Playn 07-19-2002 07:58 PM

Jay,

It's also a matter of priorities. We have a family rule that we won't have a loan on a toy. Thats why I have a 12 year old boat like you. Others have no problem with big loans for their toys, It's just not for us. Just as you may look longingly at the mega toys of others there are just as many people that would really like to be in your shoes. It takes most people quite a bit of time and a lot of hard work to be able to have these toys. Sure there are a few members of "The lucky sperm club" but I have to believe that most people are like us and have worked hard for what they have. If a larger boat is what you want, just start planning for it and stick with your plan...it will come.

ChrisK 07-20-2002 12:18 AM

NASTY... yup im in O town... love it here. I guess it makes it easier for me to :justify" a boat like this also. We are not limited to 4 and maybe 5 months for a season. I would say we ahve a realistic 9-10 months. makes the cost per use basis lower.

Jayl13 07-22-2002 09:01 AM

Playn, with the BS I have been through this year with this tub of crap, no one and I repeat NO ONE wants to be in my shoes
I have this freakin black cloud over me and I just cant shake it
Nothing I do to this ever works out right I swear.
Now boat is grounded indefinately until next year.
Jason

ROUGHSTUFF 07-22-2002 07:07 PM

I'm no expert but here is what we do!

1) We pay ourself first!

We both put the IRS max into our 401k's every year and never touch.

Invest an additional lump sum every month for retirement!
(We started both when we were 22)

Save another lump sum for rainy day or other needs!

We invest every year at Christmas and kids B-day to take care college.

2) We develop a monthly budget including accruals for various items and live to it.

3) Never carry a credit card balance, pay it off every month!

4) After you have payed yourself and taken care of the monthly living expenses, spend what is left.

5) Prioritize what makes you the happiest and spend what is left on those items.

I feel fortunate that the boat we wanted was a priority to my family and it fits into what is left.

Like I said earlier I'm no expert, but this has worked for my family and I and we are happy with the life we live.

h2owarrior 07-22-2002 07:43 PM

Jay13, you posted:

Now boat is grounded indefinately until next year.

Whats up with that:( I thought you were out of the woods with the motor problems etc. I must have missed the latest updates.