Notices

B-Max v.s. Imco SC

Old 07-18-2002, 09:46 PM
blackhawk

How about an Arneson? Very expensive to swap but I've heard they are bulletproof.

Old 07-18-2002, 10:12 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would go with the Bmax, the SC is holding a lot of power, but a 28 foot boat with over 8oo Hp, that is a lot of stress on that DRIVE,
Old 07-19-2002, 12:35 AM
Registered

Default I remember reading that a B-Max was broke with I think 900hp

B-Max would not warr. it
They said it had warr to 850 but they have several with 1000 + hp on them.
I know of a few going from Max's to SC because of the speed difference between the two. The Max does require more hp for the same speed. That is small potatoes when your broke.
I haven't heard any bad problems with the SC.
My buddy has one one a 25 Eliminator with 622 ci, 800 hp and 250 shot of NOS. He doesn't know the word gentle. No problems so far.
I just bought one but I only have about 625 @ the prop.
Time will tell on the SC's.
Old 07-19-2002, 06:05 AM
Registered

Default B-Max Drives

Talked to Dean Clawson,B-Max owner, at the Miami boat show and he indicated that the breakage on his drives is very small. However, he did say that because of the big gears it would run a little slower on the big end.
I believe he has a american offshore with about 1400 horse as a test boat and has not broke the drive in it. But who knows!
I have been saving my penneys, When I break my Imcos I plan on having a serious look at his drives.. I have two to do, lot of greenbacks for a poor Yankee Man!!(short season) but unless mercury comes out with a bravo 1 for big HP, B-Max is the way I'm planning on going.
eliminator219

Remember, Some people could break a Tank!!
Old 07-19-2002, 08:41 AM
Registered

Received 78 Likes on 47 Posts

Timucin,
If it is the Bravo One "Xtreme" then it is when IMCO takes a customer's stock Bravo One outdrive and puts their heavy duty mods and parts to it. Besides, if it was two years ago IMCO had not yet had their new Xtreme Advantage SC (newly designed and larger gear case) out yet which actually only became available at the begining of this year ('02). I have heard that the IMCO Xtreme (NOT the SC) wasn't good at staying together. But their new SC drive is supposed to be superior in design, strength and durability. .
The B-Max has larger upper gears than the IMCO SC, BUT that is the only place that I think the B-Max is superior in strength. B-max's bottom half of the drive is still a stock design. You can still put heavier duty parts in there, but it is STILL the same stock size bottom end gear case. Where as the new IMCO SC has redsigned the WHOLE drive including the bottom end of the drive and still be able to bolt up to a stock size gimble assembly with little or no modifications. And because it has just hit the market, I'm just interested in knowing of any breakage or other problems with this new IMCO SC drive. I'm more interested in the IMCO SC than the B-Max at this time----but then, the jury is still out and I wan't to wait and see how this new SC is going to turn out within the real world of boating where it counts. However, I must say that I am quite suprised to hear that this guy with the Outer Limits and tripple B-Max drives has broke NOT JUST ONE but rather a few of the B-Max's and that has me concerned if it is in fact true.

Anyway, not trying to argue here, but rather just wanted to clarify the difference between IMCO's "Xtreme" drive and their new "Xtreme Advantage SC" drive which is a totally different animal as well as the differences between the B-max and IMCO's new "Xtreme Advantage SC". And I just wanted to make sure we are ALL on the same page when discussing the differences between drives.

Last edited by KAAMA; 07-19-2002 at 08:44 AM.
Old 07-19-2002, 10:06 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm reading this and doing the math...broke drive, broke another...broke another...broke another.........why not go with#5 or #6 for that matter and get it over with ????
Old 07-19-2002, 10:45 AM
Charter Member#1545
Charter Member

Greeter, the 5 & 6 require more room because of the need for a transmission. They also require more HP to operate. I have entertained the thought seriously as to the installation of one though, with the carnage that has been done to my drives. The Teaque unit has been working so far, which alleviates the need for such installation. BTW, KAAMA, 3 drives that "BLEW" were IMCOs Extreme Advantage, 2 with with XR gears. I can not say anything about the SC unit as I have no first hand experience. I went with the Teague unit because Bob put a warranty on it, something IMCO would not.
Old 07-19-2002, 11:03 AM
Registered

If I ever get the chance to build the power, I'm going to give the IMCO a chance. I went for a ride in an HTM last night that has a blown 540 that makes 980hp and it has the Teague XR Platinum and he has 19hrs. on it and alot of 100m.p.h. passes.
Old 07-19-2002, 12:28 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks for clearing that up for me Neverfastenuff......
How big of a deal would it be to upgrade? ie: how much would the switch to a #5 total $$$ be???
Would it change the attitude of the boat if you moved the motor forward to accomodate the tranny???
Just curious.....newbie with questions
Old 07-19-2002, 02:35 PM
Charter Member#1545
Charter Member

Geeter, I have no "hard" numbers on the install of a 5 or 6. A speedy 5 would probably be the thing to install. I would imagine cost in the 15-20k range(approx, used). As far as the CG of the boat, attitude, etc., experimintation at it's finest. I have no idea what the end results would be. I am sure there are those qualified to answer such questions, I am just glad the Teague unit is holding up. Good Luck, Sam

Quick Reply: B-Max v.s. Imco SC

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.