Notices

Offshore boat jumping massive breaking waves at Ocean Beach, San Francisco

Old 01-22-2013, 09:44 PM
Joe
Offshore Cowboy
Platinum Member

Received 28 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by tlr
So, what do you guys recommend doing in a situation like this?
leave the donzi on the trailer, or back at home on the "lake".... haha.
Old 01-22-2013, 09:55 PM
Joe
Offshore Cowboy
Platinum Member

Received 28 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by tlr
it's MUCH easier in the open ocean vs a cut, where you have very little room to cut the swell at a 45 degree angle.

unfortunately, i made a bad decision (i was a bit younger -- haha) a few years back and went out of a cut with a tropical wave appx. 2 miles offshore (that i was unaware of), on an outgoing tide. i was committed before i saw how big it was at the end of the cut --- which i should have rolled slowly into to take a look before going into it at 60ish MPH. nassssty.

sometimes you just have to suck it up and go thru it. but, don't play in the ocean with a boat that isn't made for it. i was certain when i got back in that i'd see, at minimum, stress cracks in the hull, and most likely broken stringers etc.... none of the above. that's when i realized cigarette would be the only vhull i owned past that point. the boat took the pounding without any damage whatsoever. the current owner and i are still in contact. it is a 2003 525 TG--- the last year, IMO, the bottom was made for big water --- hence, the reason for my "2003" gladiator. the newer ones are faster, but again IMO, are a bit tougher on the passenger in real water.

joe
Old 01-22-2013, 10:26 PM
Registered
Gold Member
Platinum Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Supercross rider not!

The guy was for sure not a Supercross rider.

Bubba Stewart would have just doubled it and landed on the back side as smooth as a baby's behind.....that is if he didn't crash just getting to the wave!
Old 01-22-2013, 10:35 PM
Registered

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by tlr
Maybe its like a falling elevator...if you jump at the moment before it hits you'll be fine.
Old 01-22-2013, 11:04 PM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Joe
it's MUCH easier in the open ocean vs a cut, where you have very little room to cut the swell at a 45 degree angle.

unfortunately, i made a bad decision (i was a bit younger -- haha) a few years back and went out of a cut with a tropical wave appx. 2 miles offshore (that i was unaware of), on an outgoing tide. i was committed before i saw how big it was at the end of the cut --- which i should have rolled slowly into to take a look before going into it at 60ish MPH. nassssty.

sometimes you just have to suck it up and go thru it. but, don't play in the ocean with a boat that isn't made for it. i was certain when i got back in that i'd see, at minimum, stress cracks in the hull, and most likely broken stringers etc.... none of the above. that's when i realized cigarette would be the only vhull i owned past that point. the boat took the pounding without any damage whatsoever. the current owner and i are still in contact. it is a 2003 525 TG--- the last year, IMO, the bottom was made for big water --- hence, the reason for my "2003" gladiator. the newer ones are faster, but again IMO, are a bit tougher on the passenger in real water.

joe
This MTI made it fine
Attached Thumbnails Offshore boat jumping massive breaking waves at Ocean Beach, San Francisco-mti2.jpg  
Old 01-22-2013, 11:16 PM
Fast Singles Club
Gold Member

Received 387 Likes on 156 Posts
Originally Posted by tomtbone1993
This MTI made it fine
There is nothing worse than getting punched in the mouth with a steering wheel .
Old 01-23-2013, 12:23 AM
Registered

Received 690 Likes on 276 Posts

So the guy that wrecked the fountain with the bikini chicks got his insurance check and bought a Donzi???
Old 01-23-2013, 05:57 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by phragle
So the guy that wrecked the fountain with the bikini chicks got his insurance check and bought a Donzi???
Bwahahaha, i'm sure he was throttling the piss outta that thing as he was cresting that wave.
Old 01-23-2013, 06:52 AM
VIP Member

Love the commentary from the guys that were filming it.

"Like Dude did you see that, I bet the guy has 2 broken legs "
Old 01-23-2013, 07:58 AM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

I live in the MIDDLE of this country...there aren't really any surf contests in my immediate hood...but even I know the story behind Mavericks. I find it hard to believe that any West Coaster would be unaware of what was going on out on the water if they were holding the Mavericks competition. Foolish.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.