Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   What Would You Do???? (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/29072-what-would-you-do.html)

Semper Fi 07-18-2002 05:40 PM

What Would You Do????

I was bringing a boat out to LOTO this past friday (7/12/02) and delivered the boat to Mark W. He has the new 46' Skater "Double Take" that is on the lake. This is the baddest ass boat I have ever seen and it was incredible inside and out. The paint was unbelieveable!!

I have an unusual situation here people.......
O.K. down to the problem, After delivering the boat I went to the Zip Stop gas station on HWY 54 to fill my F-350 PSD up for the ride back to California. After about 30 miles down the road the truck started having problems. I thought this was a problem with the injectors since I have just replaced 4 of them this year. So, I stopped at a hotel for the night and was going to deal with the problem in the morning. Morning comes and when I turned the key, I heard a funny noise, so I didn't start the truck yet. I opened the hood and took off the fuel filter cover and smelled gas!!!! It was full of gas!! I called the Zip Stop and they realized that their supplier had filled the gas tanks with diesel and the diesel tanks with gas!!! Ironically, Marks wife had filled up there also and had diesel in her Cadillac!!
I have been stuck here since last FRIDAY night (one week now!!) and staying in hotels, rent-a-car, and food expenses for the past week that, so far, has totaled over $550.00. The gas stations insurance company has been really slow to get me on my way. I also lost money, on towing jobs since I haven't been able to do them. I have a contract from a local California dealer to transport a boat to Florida for $4,800. Now unfortunately, I have missed the job and will not get paid for it. The insurance company is playing hardball and doesn't wan't to really cooperate. I think now I have to consult a lawyer because the insurance company is being difficult. They want to see my "schedule c" from last year to determine my expenses for that trip. This really has no bearing on my expenses (for this specific job) and I think that this is personal information and I don't want to give them it. I sent them a copy of the contract from the local boat company and I guess that's not good enough. What would you all do? Any attorney's here on the board?? Any legal advice would be great and much appreciated!!

Semper Fi

ssherman 07-18-2002 05:51 PM

I am currently dealing with a similar situation with an insurance company. The police wrapped up investigations a month ago and the insurance company is still dragging their feet. Thet recently requested 24 months of business and personal electric, gas, and phone bills. What the hell does this have to do with missing servers? But heaven forbid you are a day late on paying your premium. Please let me know how this goes and what the attorneys say.

I agree per job profits and expenses are totally different. especiallly if you can avoid dead-heading.

Allan4 07-18-2002 06:08 PM

Insurance companies really suck, I am sueing mine right now. What I would do is find an attorney and have them send a note to the guilty business and insurance company. Any good attorney will know the goodies and red flags to add, but be sure he mentions that this bizarre inconvenience costs you $$$. I would not pursue this any further without legal representation. They will screw you, insurance companies are exttremely well know for their beligerent lack of payment. How they get away with it I'll never understand. Good luck, play hard ball, only way to win.

Sydwayz 07-18-2002 11:36 PM

You definatley need a Phknlwyr!!

glassdave 07-19-2002 12:40 AM

i feel for ya bro . . not only do you hafta deal with an insurance company but now you hafta deal with lawers :rolleyes: :rolleyes: like allen4 said, play hard ball its the only thing that will get you taken care of. good luck man

Audiofn 07-19-2002 12:48 AM

Get a lawer and get on thier case!!!! I would name not only the gas station but also the delivery company and the insurance company in the complaint!!!! One of them will pay up just to get you off their case. There are obviously A LOT of cars that are currently in that area with the same problem. What is up with the truck? Is the engine toast???? I would make them give you some sort of warrantee on the fuel parts and engine if they are not going to drop a new engine in there for you. As far as them looking for your travel expenses that is normal. They will not pay you for the whole job just what you would have made for the profit. That should be ok with you as you do not have to put the time in to drive out there. However there is also the issue of you loosing the confidence of a customer. Any way you cut it be ready to fight for any money from the scum sucking insurance companies. THEY ALL SUCK!!! Can you tell I am dealing with one right now!!! :(:(:(

Blueman 07-19-2002 12:52 AM

Don't forget about long term damage to your truck motor. They will want to try to drain the gas and just replace as little as possible but it will take a toll on your motor. Insurance = thieves

Payton 07-19-2002 07:48 AM

In 30 miles of driving, depending on the percent of gas in your tank, you have scored cylinder walls. You will very shortly have excessive blow by and a loss of power.
You said your engine was having problems, so I bet you already know all this.

Get a lawyer
good luck
Mark

euby 07-19-2002 11:21 AM

oh man this is not good for your truck....I would tell them you want a new engine because everything from the tank to the injectors is contaminated. I gauratee your injector seals are toast. As well as cylinder walls, fuel pump, regulator, pistons, rings, etc. They could replace all of these things but the long term damage is done and they'll try to get out of that! This is not good.
Diesel in a gasser is not quite as bad but one thing for sure....you need to lawyer up now:(

Semper Fi 07-19-2002 01:28 PM

thanks guys

Well, the truck is fixed, it cost the insurance company over $4,100.00 to fix the truck. The dealer drained the fuel tank, changed the fuel filter, all 8 injectors, the fuel pump and drained the lines. They said this is all they need to do to fix the problem, we'll see. I am concerned that this incident could shorten the life of my motor. I spent over $800.00 in the past week for hotels, laundry, food, rent-a-cars, etc... I do expect to be paid back for this!!! I'm on my way back to Cali
****IN' WAHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!