Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
How to make a 46‘ Cig 12mph faster… >

How to make a 46‘ Cig 12mph faster…

Notices

How to make a 46‘ Cig 12mph faster…

Old 01-31-2013, 08:25 AM
Registered

Received 421 Likes on 175 Posts

I know that Nigel Hook experimented with water pickups and found speed in his Lucas race boat. In his case, he not only trimmed them way down to get to the right water pressure, but he also moved it to the bottom of the rudder (of course not many boats have a rudder). It was found that the pickup in front of the drives was also aerating the water causing just the slightest amount of additional slip. I am not surprised it made a difference in the Cigarette. Drag has a multiplying effect as speed increases, so a tiny change at big speeds can make a huge difference on the top end (just like planes and cars). Just think how much investment would need to be made in power to pick up that kind of speed.
Old 01-31-2013, 08:50 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by HabanaJoe
Your question was "what do you think"

I don't know if the tubes made the difference or not, I know they make some difference but you asked what I thought and I take away from this it was a great marketing article for Phil.
Great post.... to a well crafted article. Thanks
Old 01-31-2013, 09:09 AM
Registered

Received 107 Likes on 64 Posts

[QUOTE=HabanaJoe;3858896]Your question was "what do you think?"
2) the people at Cigarette at that time had no experience rigging boats, have no history of how to install the simpliest of things like pick-up tubes and as manufactures of fast boat they are not very good at making them go as fast as they can

Agreed....but, I dont think Cigarette actually ever claimed to make fast boats. Stylish and sexy claims? yes. Now if Reggie worked there...that would be a different story!
Old 01-31-2013, 09:11 AM
Registered

Received 15 Likes on 8 Posts

[QUOTE=kreed;3858938]
Originally Posted by HabanaJoe
Agreed....but, I dont think Cigarette actually ever claimed to make fast boats. Stylish and sexy claims? yes. Now if Reggie worked there...that would be a different story!
You have a point, I stand corrected

One more point, if we all concede the 1 1/5" made a 12 mph increase. If you wanted a great marketing peice and you know the tubes make a tremenedous difference, Phil being a very smart guy (he really is a smart guy) would have a customers boat shipped to him with uncut pick-ups and being the dealer he is, would take the boat out, run it and get every ounce of speed he can get from it for his customer - because he is a good dealer that goes the extra mile for his customers!

Last edited by HabanaJoe; 01-31-2013 at 09:18 AM.
Old 01-31-2013, 09:13 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 54 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by fast fun 2
We had a customer with a 26 Checkmate raise is drive 1/8 of an inch and find 8mph. We also found that a low hanging speedometer pickup on a 24 Skater was 6mph
When we tested at the old Lake X we found about 8 mph with the speedo pick up removed on our 32' Skater. I cant tell you how many wins that may have cost us against the AGITATOR.
Old 01-31-2013, 10:08 AM
Driver-441
Racer

Received 1,064 Likes on 281 Posts

Originally Posted by h2oboater
When we tested at the old Lake X we found about 8 mph with the speedo pick up removed on our 32' Skater. I cant tell you how many wins that may have cost us against the AGITATOR.
We just never put one on Wits End
Old 01-31-2013, 10:24 AM
Registered

Received 107 Likes on 64 Posts

[QUOTE=HabanaJoe;3858940]
Originally Posted by kreed

You have a point, I stand corrected

One more point, if we all concede the 1 1/5" made a 12 mph increase. If you wanted a great marketing peice and you know the tubes make a tremenedous difference, Phil being a very smart guy (he really is a smart guy) would have a customers boat shipped to him with uncut pick-ups and being the dealer he is, would take the boat out, run it and get every ounce of speed he can get from it for his customer - because he is a good dealer that goes the extra mile for his customers!
Agreed about Phil. And not for nothing, as a Cig owner, it would be nice to have Cigarette be able to make some speed claims....Theyve done a nice job with rigging, bling, and such....they need a speedster!
Old 01-31-2013, 12:02 PM
Member #154
Platinum Member

Received 864 Likes on 317 Posts

Originally Posted by kreed

it would be nice to have Cigarette be able to make some speed claims....Theyve done a nice job with rigging, bling, and such....they need a speedster!
How to some people 100+ MPH boats are no longer speedsters is strange to me. I know what you're referring to but it just came off strange to me.
Old 01-31-2013, 12:34 PM
VP of the tickfaw200

Received 148 Likes on 60 Posts

good info! as i redo my old ill play with the pickups.

didnt cig make a kelo run with a maxmis hull? it fell a few short but the bottom was a true cig V no pad?

also i dont think the guys who set out to buy a cig are looking to be the fastes. its style, ride and the name.
Old 01-31-2013, 02:03 PM
Registered

Received 698 Likes on 341 Posts

I don't think it was a Maximus hull. Iirc I read skater suggested a pad and cig insisted on a true v. And it was too sketchy over 150 or so? I may be completely wrong I've inhaled a lot of dust lately.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.