Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
How to make a 46‘ Cig 12mph faster… >

How to make a 46‘ Cig 12mph faster…

Notices

How to make a 46‘ Cig 12mph faster…

Old 02-01-2013, 09:40 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Brad Smith helped design this regulator to protect engines against too much water pressure. It cures the problem of needing to raise the pickup(s) to lower water pressure at high speeds, but in turn do not have enough water pressure at low speeds.

http://www.cpperformance.com/p-16737...ief-valve.aspx
Old 02-01-2013, 10:46 AM
Registered

Received 3,020 Likes on 987 Posts

Originally Posted by lil red
I don't think it was a Maximus hull. Iirc I read skater suggested a pad and cig insisted on a true v. And it was too sketchy over 150 or so? I may be completely wrong I've inhaled a lot of dust lately.
Absolutley correct. The hull was not a Maximus is was a new design that was Epoxy layed up by Skater. It was a true V with no pad because Skip wanted to stay true to the roots of Cig (no pads). It was CRAZY fast! In 2006, Cigarette Racing attempted to beat the Kilo record and recorded a one-way pass of 172 mph, however its average was 163.759 mph.

From the Powerboat Magazine article:

... The 46 is all epoxy, weighs in at a little over 10,000.

"For hernandez (Neil), it was imoportant that it wasnt a "potato-chip boat" but had a similar weight to the models coming out of the Cigarette factory."

Bud Lorow & crew spent more than four months rigging it.

The power...

570 Cubic Inches
Quad (4) Turbos (hence quadzilla! )
Control System and layout similar to the 1075s
merc. wouldnt say anything else...estimation of 1800 horses
Inline Configuration
Dry-Sump No. 6s spinning Herings

"Tomlinson estimated the V-Bottom would have to run 180 mph exiting the trap to break the record. "Its probably not the thing to do right now," he said.But Tomlinson was confident the boat could run in the 180-mph range provided more work was done to the bottom and setup. "I've never run anything that felt like that kind of power-nothing, ever," Tomlinson said." ...

As a side note, these quad turbo'd "secret" motors were the pre-curser and R&D for the now ever so popular 1350 Turbos. It's like the aero space program. We don't get to know about stuff til yeeeeeeeeeers later.
Old 02-01-2013, 11:03 AM
Registered

Received 749 Likes on 402 Posts

I believe JT said that driving the boat at speed was like balancing a bowling ball on a razor blade.
Old 02-01-2013, 11:09 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by Knot 4 Me
I believe JT said that driving the boat at speed was like balancing a bowling ball on a razor blade.
That was the exact quote, yes. He and the team were sure they could make the boat go safely 180+ with a pad but the project was stopped after the one and only attempt.
Old 02-01-2013, 01:54 PM
Registered

Received 108 Likes on 65 Posts

Originally Posted by thisistank
That was the exact quote, yes. He and the team were sure they could make the boat go safely 180+ with a pad but the project was stopped after the one and only attempt.
Where's the boat now?? Should I start saving my $$$$?
Old 02-01-2013, 05:05 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by kreed
It's around. It was the red and white "strength & honor" boat after they cut the top off. Then it was repainted again black and white with new interior and it sold. It runs the FPC poker runs all the time. Sick boat. VERY rare and unique.
Old 02-01-2013, 05:20 PM
Registered

Received 292 Likes on 138 Posts

Originally Posted by kreed
It's the baddest cig out there. I see it all the time when I'm in Florida cause the shop that does all of our warranty work on the verados, also takes care of this cig.
Old 02-02-2013, 06:11 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Back to the whole h2o pressure issue. What should your psi be on a twin engine, outboard cat, at WOT? Right now I have 25-30psi. thanks
Old 02-02-2013, 07:15 AM
Registered

Received 793 Likes on 448 Posts

[QUOTE=thisistank;3859579]Absolutley correct. The hull was not a Maximus is was a new design that was Epoxy layed up by Skater. It was a true V with no pad because Skip wanted to stay true to the roots of Cig (no pads). It was CRAZY fast! In 2006, Cigarette Racing attempted to beat the Kilo record and recorded a one-way pass of 172 mph, however its average was 163.759 mph.

From the Powerboat Magazine article:

[I]... The 46 is all epoxy, weighs in at a little over 10,000.

"For hernandez (Neil), it was imoportant that it wasnt a "potato-chip boat" but had a similar weight to the models coming out of the Cigarette factory."

I heard rummours but, Is this the same hull that Skater is offering as the 488V? Does Skater have a pad on theirs? I can't find a pic of the Tainted Lady's bottom anywhere.....

With regards to the Brad Smith regulators - would each motor be fitted with the regulator and do away with the crossover?

Last edited by speicher lane; 02-02-2013 at 07:21 AM.
Old 02-02-2013, 10:55 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 45 Likes on 19 Posts
Default How to make ..

Hi,

Depending on what kind of engines you have you should be fine with 15 psi. So you can jack up your engines for sure - and gain speed.

Cheeers, Toffen

Originally Posted by 28skater
Back to the whole h2o pressure issue. What should your psi be on a twin engine, outboard cat, at WOT? Right now I have 25-30psi. thanks

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.