Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Ford Powerstroke Deisel (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/29115-ford-powerstroke-deisel.html)

Audiofn 07-19-2002 09:37 AM

Ford Powerstroke Deisel

Hey guys I just thought I would relay this bit of info. I have a 1999 Ford PSD and the shifting on it was all over the place. I kept taking it back to the dealer and saying it was messed up and they would drive it and say it was fine. Well this last weekend I took the truck up to Maine and on the drive home about 2.5 hours the shifting got to be real hard and was chattering. Well they found the problem and there is aparently a bulliten on these transmisions. The problem started as when it would shift it seemed to not know what gear to go in. It would down shift then upshift then down shift then upshift a couple times before it would finally find it's gear. So far the new valve body and some other things they did seem to have solved the problem. Other then when I first left the dealer I have not had any bad shifting at all (probably just a airbuble or something). Just thought I would let you all know as when the first sign of problem (the up and down shifting) showed up the three dealers I took it to all said it was normal. The real test will be this weekend when I go back up to Maine!! :D:D

Jon

jr 07-19-2002 09:59 AM

Thanks for the info. So far I haven't had any problems.

Jeff

Indy 07-19-2002 10:12 AM

55000+ on my '99 F350 PSD and no problems so far, but thanks for the notice.

euby 07-19-2002 10:43 AM

Can you be more specific on what they did? Did they change the valve body or fix something in your old one and what kind of fluid did they put in it. I hope it wasn't Mercon V.

RCM255 07-19-2002 11:22 AM

i don't mean to thread tread but how do you guys like
your F250 PSD's. i found a 2000 with 23k miles on it for
29 thou. i was thinking about ditching my Bronco and picking
this up.

back on the subject i believe all trucks after the 99 model year
have the updated valve body from the factory

fred 07-19-2002 11:46 AM

I now have199,325 miles on my 1995 PowerStroke F-350 crew cab dually, pull a 15,000 lb. boat and trailer 100 miles one way to Lake Michigan at 70 mph in overdrive....I use only Amsoil trans fluid in it....keep on rockin transmission.........Fred

gmhdfan 07-19-2002 11:50 AM

Originally posted by euby
Can you be more specific on what they did? Did they change the valve body or fix something in your old one and what kind of fluid did they put in it. I hope it wasn't Mercon V.
What is wrong with Mercon V? Was just wondering, cause you learn something new everyday. (and I haven't learned anything new yet today) :)

audacity 07-19-2002 11:56 AM

100k on my 2001...i NEVER change trany fluid.. but hey what do i know about transmissions anywho:rolleyes:

ps...thanks for the info...i'll check into that for ya next week....i may need some additional info from ya. i'll tell ya if the dealer was bs'n ya or not.

liquid lounge 07-19-2002 11:59 AM

Audio- OT, but have you done the $4.00 fuel line mod? Did it to mine with pretty nice results....will take you about 10 minutes. If there's any intrest, I'll post how to do it and why it works. To give credit where due, this malady was discovered by Mark Hutchins [Hutch] of F-D.com. Take Care All

audacity 07-19-2002 12:09 PM

post it man!...i really not up to date on any aftermarket stuff for these things...we just change strategies to get what we want power wise.