Key west poker run questions

Notices

Key west poker run questions

Old 02-06-2013, 02:41 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 171 Likes on 86 Posts
Default Key west poker run questions

Been boating since I was a kid, grew up around boats. Most of my boating experience is on a lil 8 mile lake. Ive been in the Chesapeake Bay and the hudson river, which is really my only offshore experience per say. I am planning to participate in this run for 2013. Im not a boating idiot, but looking to get a feel of what im in for... Boat only tops in lows 80's, so probably would like to cruise in the 55mph range. Ive been on FPC's website and noticed they do run different classes of boats.

I guess my main question or concern is the navigation part of the trip. My boat is equipped with a Garmin 182C gps, is this good enough? I havent really played with it too much, so im not familiar with how it works, as i dont need it in the lake i boat in. Im assuming Ill be boating with a group anyway, so most likely just follow everybody else, but i dont want to rely on that and rather fully prepared.

Next question would be spared parts. What have others brought in the past? I know not everything can be planned for. I was thinking basic things such as, belts, hoses, fluids, etc... obviously a bag of tools. Im not an expert, but I am mechanically inclined. Anything else I should bring.

I know safety is a huge a factor with these organized runs. Not sure whats required, im assuming the usual: PFD's, ropes, flare kit of some sort, and VHF radio?.. am i missing anything else?

Any info you guys/ or gals could give me would be great. Thanks in advance! I will also be down in Miami for boat show and I know the FPC has booth set up there, so also plan on talking with someone from there.

Thanks,
Curt
Old 02-06-2013, 02:56 PM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

You will be fine. The GPS is you have is fine ofcourse the newer ones and bigger ones are easier to read cause its bigger. You will have a blast. Ive done that trip over 30x. Half of it without FPC. As far as spare parts go, your typical, belts, spare prop, impellor and so on. Its one of the best runs you can do. Awesome senery. Enjoy it. You have an awesome boat for it. Trust me it won't be your last. My best advise leave on the Tuesday run as there's a lot less boats than the Thursday and Friday run and you can spend almost a week in KW.
Old 02-06-2013, 04:06 PM
Registered
VIP Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Got Cigs
Been boating since I was a kid, grew up around boats. Most of my boating experience is on a lil 8 mile lake. Ive been in the Chesapeake Bay and the hudson river, which is really my only offshore experience per say. I am planning to participate in this run for 2013. Im not a boating idiot, but looking to get a feel of what im in for... Boat only tops in lows 80's, so probably would like to cruise in the 55mph range. Ive been on FPC's website and noticed they do run different classes of boats.

I guess my main question or concern is the navigation part of the trip. My boat is equipped with a Garmin 182C gps, is this good enough? I havent really played with it too much, so im not familiar with how it works, as i dont need it in the lake i boat in. Im assuming Ill be boating with a group anyway, so most likely just follow everybody else, but i dont want to rely on that and rather fully prepared.

Next question would be spared parts. What have others brought in the past? I know not everything can be planned for. I was thinking basic things such as, belts, hoses, fluids, etc... obviously a bag of tools. Im not an expert, but I am mechanically inclined. Anything else I should bring.

I know safety is a huge a factor with these organized runs. Not sure whats required, im assuming the usual: PFD's, ropes, flare kit of some sort, and VHF radio?.. am i missing anything else?

Any info you guys/ or gals could give me would be great. Thanks in advance! I will also be down in Miami for boat show and I know the FPC has booth set up there, so also plan on talking with someone from there.

Thanks,
Curt
what lake? i also grew up on a little 8m lake in northern jersey. as far as the run, the hardest part is getting the boat to florida. the rest is easy. navigation is easy too especially on the thursday run. in your speed group there will be plenty of other boats to run with you wont even need your gps.
Old 02-06-2013, 05:26 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Get a better GPS. You'll be glad you did. I had the same one in the last boat. It sucks when the sun is on it.
Old 02-06-2013, 06:31 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Thanks everyone for the info.
Ryder I boat mostly on Lake Hopatcong
Redbud, does garmin make an update version of the one I have with better picture quality? I like the size of my current gps. Thanks again.
Old 02-06-2013, 07:04 PM
Registered

Received 885 Likes on 480 Posts

You will be fine. I did many runs with FPC and with a 32 Sunsation that ran 73 mph WFO I just followed the pack! You will be close to last to the lunch stop but then after the raft up you will be the first to leave and people didn't trample over your boat/deck for 2 hours.

GPS can be very handy in the keys. The channel markers can be a mile a part (it seems) but if you run in the high 70's you will be fine. On big poker runs there are always people around to help with parts/repairs. A guy named Kevin from Jacksonville helped me twice on two different runs and wouldn't even let me buy him a beer! Helps if you have the right parts and the tools to get the job done.
Old 02-06-2013, 08:29 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 344 Likes on 115 Posts

Originally Posted by redbud35
Get a better GPS. You'll be glad you did. I had the same one in the last boat. It sucks when the sun is on it.
There is a company called NuShield that makes tinted plastic peel and stick covers for the gps units. I put one on my Garmin 2006C and it made a world of difference.
Old 02-06-2013, 08:37 PM
Registered
VIP Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Got Cigs
Thanks everyone for the info.
Ryder I boat mostly on Lake Hopatcong
Redbud, does garmin make an update version of the one I have with better picture quality? I like the size of my current gps. Thanks again.
i grew up boating on lake hopatcong also, this is the boat i had there last. I sent you a PM
Attached Thumbnails Key west poker run questions-fl-pic-2.jpg  
Old 02-06-2013, 08:49 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cool

Originally Posted by OldSchool
There is a company called NuShield that makes tinted plastic peel and stick covers for the gps units. I put one on my Garmin 2006C and it made a world of difference.
That would have been easier then buying a new boat just to get a Garmin 5212.
Old 02-06-2013, 09:10 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

[QUOTE=Jupiter Sunsation;3862848] You will be close to last to the lunch stop but then after the raft up you will be the first to leave and people didn't trample over your boat/deck for 2 hours.

That itself is worth being last

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.