Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Racing Rumors,,,,, APBA in the Bahamas??? >

Racing Rumors,,,,, APBA in the Bahamas???

Notices

Racing Rumors,,,,, APBA in the Bahamas???

Old 07-19-2002, 01:34 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Racing Rumors,,,,, APBA in the Bahamas???

Has anyone else heard the rumor that APBA is going to have a race in the Bahamas this year? I also heard that Atlantic City and St. Pete were not going to happen... Anyone care to comment?

Ben
Old 07-19-2002, 01:36 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thumbs down

I know AC is done, and I've heard about the Bahamas...not sure about St.Pete...
Old 07-19-2002, 02:11 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

There was a lengthy thread concerning this only a few days ago...However, it got out of hand and it was targeted for elimination by the thread starter....

Long story short(and this is from memory, so it may not be perfect), Zipp Express lost the Kilo title they held from last year due to some rule changes this year to another competitor--Well, they didn't see it fit that they lose the record and thought there was some kind of conspiracy all the while some others were claiming cheating. Anyway, it seems that it disturbed some people locally in St. Pete for whatever reason and there is a boycott of sorts in providing volunteers, medical, etc for the St. Pete race. That coupled with a few different monetary concerns may make it difficult to have the race here.

However, things may be looking good with some noteworthy changes possible. Don't discount it yet. A Bahama race would have been an alternative to St. Pete if I'm not mistaken.

http://www.offshoreonly.com/forum/sh...hlight=Bahamas

Last edited by Baja Daze; 07-19-2002 at 03:11 PM.
Old 07-19-2002, 02:32 PM
Registered

true true...well so far....i still have your shield ben...thanks!
Old 07-19-2002, 02:37 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Ben, They did announce at the drivers meeting in Savannah that there would be a race in Oct in the Bahama's.
They would not say what race or if it was replacing another race.
I also heard that Atlantic City is out and St Pete, but not sure if it is because of the reasons stated above.
Old 07-19-2002, 04:07 PM
DJD
Registered

Quick question: Why is it that apba can't make their schedule at the beginning of the year and stick to it???
While racing with another group (sbi ) for the past few years, there was never a question or cancellation of a race aside of one last September. It was a week and a half after 9/11.
Old 07-19-2002, 04:26 PM
Charter Member #319
Charter Member

[QUOTE]Originally posted by DJD
[B]Quick question: Why is it that apba can't make their schedule at the beginning of the year and stick to it???

I was thinking the same thing.
Old 07-19-2002, 06:02 PM
Charter Member #71
Charter Member

Received 14 Likes on 3 Posts

Speaking from a fans point of view...and I attend races from both APBA and SBI, this has been going on with APBA for the past couple of years, and its annoying to me, so I can just imagine what the racers are having to deal with. How can anyone make plans?
I plan on attending St Pete if it happens only because I'm close, but I sure wouldnt buy plane tickets to any of there events. I wonder how they'll be able to pull off Key West, when SBI has already pulled out???
Hold the Nationals in the Bahamas???? Right!!! I'm sure we'll just all drive right on over.
Nick....I doubt very seriously St Pete would cancel just because of the deal with Zipp...got to be more to that one....and who suffers??? US..the fans who attend..spend money, and support the races. Maybe they figure they got all the support they need from the teeny boppers that chase after the backstreet boy.
Ive tried being patient, and see if APBA can get there stuff together...but I dont know
Maybe they dont realize yet they need fans as well as racers...or maybe they just dont give a sh*&t. Its too bad...cause I really like seeing all the nice hardware they have at the races. And watching some damn good racing.
I would post this message on there board...but it prob wouldnt last too long.

Dan
(a pissed off fan)
Old 07-19-2002, 06:11 PM
Banned

It sure will be dissapointing if they don't race in St Pete. How would you feel if you planned some time off around the event, and then it was cancelled. I don't know the reasoning behind it, and probably will hear several different spins about it, but you can bet it will all boil down to money some way or another. St Pete is a great venue for a race, close to course for the wet pits, good spectator areas, easy to watch by boat. Sure seems like they are intent on killing the golden goose (the fans). No matter what it takes, they need to make this happen. St Pete is the home for APBA for christsakes!
Old 07-19-2002, 06:43 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Good points everyone...I just have to add that in this particular example(St. Pete 2002), there are a lot of extraneous factors at play - Have it be known, that the majority of problems have nothing to do with APBA. There are other factors.

Quick Reply: Racing Rumors,,,,, APBA in the Bahamas???

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.