Originally Posted by Cash Bar
Come to Lake Lanier this year !!
I'm in on Lake Lanier!
Old 02-20-2013, 06:31 PM
Registered

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Cash Bar
Lanier isnt FPC and the cost is $100.
Agreed. But Key West FPC run compares to nothing else. 5-7 days of chaperone and Stu's staff 150 miles from their home taking care of the runners. Their accommodations, food,etc. must cost a fortune.

The choppers on each of the different days down and then the run to Boca Grande on Saturday with more aerial shots. What do you figure that must cost?

I believe we are fortunate to have it available.

Do I need Stu to get me to Key West? Not really since the kanook couldn't find Duck Key when I first met him. But do I applaud his success? 100%.

Hopefully he takes our fellow boaters from Miami to Islamorada and back this weekend. Most who enjoy the camaraderie and have no idea where they are going.

Forget the big number. Actual cost would be the membership divided by the number of events you do plus the event fee of $750 and 2 friends (which I have none) divided by 4 persons divided by 5 days. If you can't afford that you really should stay home.

Sorry for the rant but it is how he feeds his family and if we were privy to his P&L, I would bet the margins are slim.
Old 02-20-2013, 06:56 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Its all about the $$$,$$$
Old 02-20-2013, 07:44 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ActiveThunder
Agreed. But Key West FPC run compares to nothing else. 5-7 days of chaperone and Stu's staff 150 miles from their home taking care of the runners. Their accommodations, food,etc. must cost a fortune.

The choppers on each of the different days down and then the run to Boca Grande on Saturday with more aerial shots. What do you figure that must cost?

Do I need Stu to get me to Key West? Not really since the kanook couldn't find Duck Key when I first met him. But do I applaud his success? 100%.

Hopefully he takes our fellow boaters from Miami to Islamorada and back this weekend. Most who enjoy the camaraderie and have no idea where they are going.

Forget the big number. Actual cost would be the membership divided by the number of events you do plus the event fee of $750 and 2 friends (which I have none) divided by 4 persons divided by 5 days. If you can't afford that you really should stay home.

Sorry for the rant but it is how he feeds his family and if we were privy to his P&L, I would bet the margins are slim.

Yeah.....Lake "whatever" can't compare to running in the ocean. JFC! Hello!!!!!!!!
Old 02-20-2013, 08:48 PM
Registered

Thats how I feel, its not a one day run is a mini vacation. Would I do 1k poker runs every weekend,no but I don't feel its a bad deal for what you get.
Old 02-20-2013, 10:09 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Pat some of these people have no idea of the cost and work involved in organizing these runs. Most of you know I ran the "Jammin on the James" from 2009-2011 when it was at its Zenith with a boat count in those years that was between 97-122. It is a LOT of work and a situation that is impossible to please everyone. We had a $350 entry fee and made money being able to donate $64,000.00 to the Shriners Hospital during my tenure. I know what our expenses were and how Stu does multilple day runs with daily Helo and lunch cost and the excellent dinner banquets he provides and all the other cost with insurance and logistics so it's a tough deal for him to do what he does. Before I took over the Jammin Run I had an opinion like most of you do about the cost and fees involved in these runs but if you we're behind the scenes you would see that it's not an easy way to make money if any at all and some of the marinas and reastaraunts just want to gouge you if they know your having a good attendance? I know what our dinner banquet cost for 400 plus at the Rennaissance Hotel in Portsmouth so i can't imagine what it cost to take over the Conch Republic in Key West for the night. Everything cost and costs aren't getting any cheaper !

Last edited by ACTIVESHACK; 02-20-2013 at 10:17 PM.
Old 02-21-2013, 10:12 AM
Mod Squad Enforcer
Charter Member

Received 795 Likes on 258 Posts

Originally Posted by Level III Chaos
Yeah.....Lake "whatever" can't compare to running in the ocean. JFC! Hello!!!!!!!!
Like you, I can see get on the ocean everyday. I prefer the lakes where I meet the "real" people of this country.

Not so much those west coasters and their attitudes.