29 fountain vs 28 donzi zx

Notices

29 fountain vs 28 donzi zx

Old 03-01-2013, 07:54 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by CraneHillFast
Never ridden in a ZX only crawled around on a few. I loved the layout. I hope the ones I have looked at were not indicative of all 28 ZX's. I think they were just some bad apples with bad owners. Donzi makes a great boat and if you find either in good shape I don't think you could go wrong. But again if you are going twins on the Fountain take a hard look at the 32 instead of the 29. I would have loved to have a single 29 but everyone that owns one knows what they have and wants top dollar. Every one I tried to deal with would not budge on price.

Just my .02 and good luck looking. There are some great deals to be had right now.
Thanks for the info on the zx, the 29 has 6.2's in it.
Originally Posted by rgrgoog
Travis,
Mine should be back toegther by 1 Apr. I am getting my engines back from the engine shop Monday. I can take you out for a ride in mine and let you run it on Conroe once it is running if you do not buy another boat by then.
You still aren't back together!! If I don't have one by then I will take you up on that, but I am leaning towards the 28zx. Seems like a good fit for us at this time. Not much of a upgrade, but I think we jumped the gun on that idea. So kinda like first boat 2.0!!!
Old 03-01-2013, 08:46 PM
Registered
Gold Member

Originally Posted by T-RAV
Thanks for the info on the zx, the 29 has 6.2's in it.

You still aren't back together!! If I don't have one by then I will take you up on that, but I am leaning towards the 28zx. Seems like a good fit for us at this time. Not much of a upgrade, but I think we jumped the gun on that idea. So kinda like first boat 2.0!!!
I got kinda delayed and sidetracked. The project is back on schedule. It actually worked out better. I had some more cash available and I am doing a few more things like adding sea strainers, cleaning the injectors, new exhaust, etc.
Old 03-01-2013, 10:59 PM
Registered

You can get a lot of boat right now for 47k. I just went to a 32 Fountain from a Baja 252. Completely different world as far as performance and ride quality. I looked at some 29 when I bought mine (Sept last year), and they just didn't seem like a very big upgrade over the 25. I knoew if i didn't stretch for what I got, I would be looking again in a couple of years. Mine is a 98, with 2 new 502 Mags, mostly new interior, a new white windscreen, and a well documented history, and I paid 38k for it. There are also a lot of reasonable priced 29 Outlaws out there too. A family member just got one, and to be honest, it seems bigger than mine on the interior side of things. I do have a lot more room to work in the bilge though. One big drawback to getting a little older boat is the paint jobs. I pretty much had my heart set on a Fountain or a Sunsation, and looked long and hard at both. I can't believe how many late 902-early 2000s fountains still had pastel colors. I passed on a few deals just because of the hideous paint jobs. Good luck in your search!
Old 03-02-2013, 01:08 AM
Registered

Just a quick question .... why are you stuck on twins in the 29 Fountain? We have had 2-27 Fevers, 3-29 Fevers (500EFI, 575SCi, and 525EFI) and a Formula292 with 6.2s, among several other performance boats. If you put 640hp in a single 29, I know for a fact you will be above 80 mph, for sure. With twin 6.2s, (also 640 hp total), you will be lucky to get 73 mph in either the Formula or the Fountain, and the fuel economy will be the same ... based on hp. With the twins, you get twice the maintenance, and twice the prop costs, if you want/need to change props. In the 292 with 6.2s, average day, average load, you are looking at high 60's, maybe 70-71, at best. We got 72 mph once, with our 292, light on fuel, mid 40s degree day with 2 people in it. The 292 does have more "creature features" than the fountain, but the fountains have all the gauges and trim/tab indicators, standard. The 32 Fountain has the same cockpit as the 27 Fountain (that is a fact, not opinion) ... you gain a little in the cuddy and a little in the engine compartment. Personally, I would skip the 32 Fountain. If you are going to get a 32, just get the 35 and you will be much happier (we had a 35 twin step, too). If you end up with a pair of 6.2's be sure to buy extra IAC's and put them in the glove box ... you will definitely need them ... they eat them like candy. Been there, done that - just search on 6.2 IACs and you will see that many others have too. Don't know much about Donzi's or Sunsations, we have only fooled with Fountains over the past 15 years. If I wanted the "perfect" trailer boat for lakes, I would find another nice single engine 29 Fever, but that is just my opinion. Send me a PM if you would like to discuss further :

Last edited by bob_t; 03-02-2013 at 01:12 AM.
Old 03-02-2013, 08:02 AM
Registered
Platinum Member

Like I already said I don't care about speed I want twins because of the reliability. Like I already said too, I know the cockpit on the 32 is to small. Actually I really don't even like fountains that much, this one just happens to be extremely clean which I haven't found much of. And yes I am to picky. On the 292 note yes I would like one but I haven't found one where the owner is realistic on $$.
Old 03-02-2013, 08:39 AM
Registered

Received 217 Likes on 112 Posts

Originally Posted by bob_t
Personally, I would skip the 32 Fountain. If you are going to get a 32, just get the 35 and you will be much happier
Man that 35 must be a hell of a boat because I have a 32 and love the boat,,rides great and good speed..

I would go with the Fountain,,not because I own one.. I just think there cool looking..
Old 03-02-2013, 08:45 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by boatnt
Man that 35 must be a hell of a boat because I have a 32 and love the boat,,rides great and good speed..

I would go with the Fountain,,not because I own one.. I just think there cool looking..
I think he meant if you want a 32' boat buy the 35.
Old 03-02-2013, 09:47 AM
Registered

T-Rav, I would encourage you to take a look at the Donzi 33ZX. It is a great boat for all the things it sounds like your family wants. It is a fast hull, large cockpit, and very useful, amenity filled cabin. I know you can find one to climb around on and it will be very convincing. The larger beam makes a big diff in the rough water ride too. Pricing can be found in the $50k range too. Good luck shopping.
Old 03-02-2013, 10:07 AM
Registered

Received 121 Likes on 65 Posts

Like I already said I don't care about speed I want twins because of the reliability. Like I already said too, I know the cockpit on the 32 is to small. Actually I really don't even like fountains that much, this one just happens to be extremely clean which I haven't found much of. And yes I am to picky. On the 292 note yes I would like one but I haven't found one where the owner is realistic on $$.
Once you go beak.....
Old 03-02-2013, 11:58 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Like I already said I don't care about speed I want twins because of the reliability.
I support you on this Brother! You never know what can come up or happen. One other point, are you trailering or not? If so, these two models you are looking at don't require going out and buying a 1 ton dually or a 389 Peterbilt to drag them down the road! Also, no Oversize Load banners required either. Good luck,

tom

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.